Bluelab PH pen won't calibrate

Darknight420710

Fecking unbelievable im in middle of feeding plants and when checking ph at the end it cake up really low and I knew something wasn't right.

I tried calibrating it in ph7 and it did that and was OK but withi seconds of it giving the tick at 7 it started playing up, I then put it in ph4 and calibrated only for it to read err which I assume is error. 

I tried changing battery and no joy  even bought 4 new druicel at a fiver and still no luck its judt coming up an array of numbers and what looks like letters  

I've 6litr of mix there and haven't a clue what to do and don't have another pen. 

Can anyone give advice what to do as this wasn't a cheap piece of equipment and had probably only over 12 months 

large.Screenshot_20220424-183650_Gallery.jpglarge.Screenshot_20220424-184532_Gallery.jpglarge.Screenshot_20220424-184542_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Darknight420710

Its a nightmare as all my batteries are working great in other things plus I just bought 4 new ones and they're all good to go.

The led display is full of condensation and won't even turn on at times when putting batteries in. 

Fed up now and don't know what to do

If it’s got condensation in display it means it’s had water ingress. When changing batteries there  is  a seal which needs to be clean or it can seal badly. Also don’t overnighten the two screws .

• Like 3

Just now, Darknight420710 said:

don't know what to do

You could try taking the batteries out and chucking it in a bag of rice over night wrapped in tissue paper.

It's a fucker when these things go.

I keep some litmus strips for emergencies.

I plan to get a spare EC pen (one of the cheapies) for this reason. Plus the cheapie I had before had readings to two decimal places unlike my Essentials one which I'm otherwise very satisfied with.

A spare PH pen would need maintaining in storage fluid.

• Like 2

+1 what @Wacky Wardrobe said.

Try leaving it in a warm dry place for a day or two. But make sure the probe in always in KCI storage solution. There is a good chance it will start working if you can dry it out. 

Edited by SmokeTester
Dont forget to take the battery cover off when drying out.
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. I've put it in zip bag with rice and will see how things go.

The only thing I did was test the temp of my water before mixing with neem and im wondering if the temp was to hot and caused some damage to the probe. 

I'm thinking I'm going to have to buy another tomorrow as I'm unable to leave it 3 days before feeding again 

Luckily my pots are heavy just now after last night's feed and I did a big defoliation this morning so might get by for 36hr max 

I'll see how things are tomorrow morning 

Edited by Darknight420710
  • Like 1

Just now, SmokeTester said:

But make sure the probe in always in KCI storage solution.

I wouldn't have thought one night is going to do too much damage but if the cap had a bit of soaked sponge in it like some do I guess that could be taped on.

• Like 1

A side note about litmus paper for a backup plan.

I just went and found something I remember seeing before.

They do litmus papers with narrow ranges for better accuracy.

I found they do one that's ideal for our purposes.

Google: Comparator Paper PH 5.2 - 6.7, 5M Reel.

Only a few quid for a 5 metre reel.

• Like 2

make sure your replacement batteries are correct, because altho they may be the same physical size they are different rated, theres a code on them, use it.

ive never had one go tits up, but i suppose it can happen

Ok mate i got a soil one blue lab and it calibrates at ph 7 but comes up error everytime at ph 4 it still works at its correct with the calibrating fluid been like that since it got delivered i tried to send it back throught amazon and they had non of it thats why i will never buy anything from amazon sorry went on a bit there seems some water got in some were to cause condensation like everyone dry dry out but if it does the same as mine round ph 7 it still right if that makes sense

17 hours ago, Darknight420710 said:

I've 6litr of mix there and haven't a clue what to do and don't have another pen. 

you can get em off t'bay for £5 just to get you over this rough spot if you need to know quick - should be able to expedite shipping for couple quid - free otherwise

mystic

• Like 1

Thanks @mysticriverI found an old one in the grow bag and calibrated perfectly. Seems to be ok today and bluelab still in the bag of rice. 

I can get a new one for £65 but will see how things go over the next day or two with this cheap groworks one I've goy

Well my bluelab has dried out and display is back to normal. 

I'm having 1 issue though and when calibrating after buffer 7 into 4 the bluelab is still reading the fluid as 7. 

Right now it's in buffer 4 after calibrating at 7 and reading 7.4

I dint see any cracks on the bulb and that's even using a loupe. 

Any advice on this as I'm now thinking it's broken 

Thanks