Bluelab PH pen won't calibrate

Darknight420710

Just now, Darknight420710 said:

Any advice

Back into the rice?

It might have dried out only just enough for the display to work.

Worth a try anyway.

• Like 2

Calibrate to 7, that'll do. Your working pH's are nearer 7 than 4, so should be fine from a practical accuracy perspective. My 60 quid HM PH200  only calibrates on 7, so yours should be fine doing for what we do.

• Like 1

@catweazle1thanks but if its not reading 4 after 7 and not even reading a cup mixed with water and vinegar then somethings seriously wrong with it. 

Guidance states if it remains around the 7 then the glass bulb is damaged and needs replaced 

As @Wacky Wardrobe I'm going to give it another night in the rice and see how it reads tomorrow. Failing that I can get a new 1 for £65 from hydro place 

3 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

@DK Was the bulb dry when you got it, it should have been moist.

@catweazle1it was brand new when I bought it and I soaked in the liquid it came wirh 24hr and then calibrated it. I cant remember when I bought it but sure it was in early 2020 but I never once cleaned it 

@DK If the probe bulb was dry when you got it and wet it, it's probably damaged. The silica in the semi-permeable glass probe must not dry out at any time.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

@DK Was the bulb dry when you got it, it should have been moist.

@catweazle1 I'm not sure what you mean

I see a little bubble inside the glass bulb so don't think its dried out. 

Its still reading 7 and no moving even when mixing various cups of water and putting vinegar, canna A etx so it's fucked! 

For £65 I'm better buying a new one and taking more care of it knowing my plants will thank me fir it 

36 minutes ago, Darknight420710 said:

buying a new one

Bummer!

A while back my cheapie ec and ph pens died within a few weeks of each other.

Two mad dashes to a hydro store and I now have the "Essentials" brand ones.

They're a bit more in a bricks and mortar store but still cheaper than the Bluelabs. Online they're about £40.

The ph pen has a single 7ph calibration point. I keep mine in home made 7ph storage solution.

I think they're alright. Obviously they haven't been fully endurance tested yet but early signs are good.

About the only thing I'd knock them for is the one decimal place readouts. The cheapies had two places.

My old ones didn't settle on a reading unless you pressed hold and gave a continuous output. I liked not having to keep waking them up as I adjusted the mix as I do with these but that's just nit picking.

The old ec pen gave me a temperature reading too. Which was nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wacky Wardrobe said:

I think they're alright.

ive got the essentials pH pen - its serving me well

ive also got a £5 ec pen that I use all the time instead of the bluelab truncheon. it reads in us/cm so its more accurate to mix to 450 instead of 0.5, which is what the bluelab would round-up to.

mystic

Edited by mysticriver
  • Like 1

Read the small print for essentials ph meters. It’s designed for 300/350 tests then replace units. 

• Like 3

Well I just bought a new bluelab and back to normal. I couldn't be fucked giving the 24hr soak and did a quick test in 7 and calibrated good, then 4 and calibrated good. Fed my plants that needed it and now soaking in that liquid until tomorrow. 

I syringed the 20ml so I'll be recycling it and will then test my broken one again after a 24hr soak 

Its good to be back up running without worry 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Arthur Mix said:

It’s designed for 300/350 tests then replace units.

Isn't that just the nature of all ph meter probes?

When I looked before the meters with replaceable probes cost at least twice as much and the replacement probes themselves as much as an Essentials meter.

What ph meter do you have Arthur.

Just now, Arthur Mix said:

@Wacky Wardrobe I use a blue lab which says 18 months use. 

I can't help thinking there's probably not going to be a lot between them. They are probably using the same tech with the Bluelabs having a few more bells and whistles. I guess we'll see.

Essentials claim 1-3 years depending on use. 300-350 uses is another metric indicating that they have a limited lifespan.

I guess taking good care of whatever you get is the key.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Wacky Wardrobe said:

I guess taking good care of whatever you get is the key.

Well im going to look after my new bluelab like its a new born baby lol

Give me a week and it'll be left on bathroom floor like truncheon is lol

• Like 3