Has anyone else had unbelievable bad luck with herms? I'm getting desperate

FlooK

Just now, fatboy77 said:

I wonder if the environment the seeds are produced in has an impact.  I was a chef for a few years and it's well known the industry that chef's usually have daughters due to a hot nutsack by the oven all day. 

That's called an epigenetic influence. It is a thing but I haven't found it for cannabis sex determination yet. I have seen papers where environment and the ratio of males to females present at pollination affects the ratio of male and female seeds in other plant species. 

Just now, catweazle1 said:

That's called an epigenetic influence. It is a thing but I haven't found it for cannabis sex determination yet. I have seen papers where environment and the ratio of males to females present at pollination affects the ratio of male and female seeds in other plant species. 

Hot nuts ,that's it ,and it's why your daughter is tall and blonde , her parents short and dark . 

• Like 3

Cannabis determine sex by its ability to produce ethylene plant hormone. Only way that will effect is hiding hermi plant's through the seed making procedure with ethylene. Other than that simple mess I see to often by people that should know better they are just breeding hermaphrodite plant's and not checking 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, FlooK said:

Just annoying i wont really be changing much so the next grow will more than likely have seeds again! (Barneys Farm - Glookies)

You are in for a double helping of hermies with Glookies because it has Gorilla, which is hermie and Thin Mint Cookies  (Girl Scout Cookies) in it , which is derived from a hermie-prone Cherry Pie cut. Wedding Cake is another one because it has  Cherry Pie and GSC in it. Can you see a pattern? Girl Scout Cookies is actually Cherry Pie, but renamed. The finder of the Cherry Pie gifted cuts and asked the recipients not to call it 'Cherry Pie', hence one called it GSC because that's what he was eating at the time, apparently. The Cherry Pie clone was gifted before it was known to be hermie-prone. These guys with the gifted cuts were just supposed to be testers, but you know what happened...

• Like 1

Just now, brock1 said:

Cannabis determine sex by its ability to produce ethylene plant hormone. Only way that will effect is hiding hermi plant's through the seed making procedure with ethylene. Other than that simple mess I see to often by people that should know better they are just breeding hermaphrodite plant's and not checking 

As far as I'm aware ethylene from dying fruit can have an effect like sts ,and certainly this is new to me but still reckoning with the lineage ,through experience and no co-incidence and maybe that's one and the same ? I'm not a breeder so pardon my ignorance  ,just familiar with traits and plants .

Sure there were a few fellas that had only or mostly males from Killer skunk seed a few years ago too . 

One example , I had four strains and they all had the same mother ,a cut 1983 Gooey . I had dozens of seed of each cross and maybe 5 or 6 females . Some of the males were resinous . I made a hack with a HFH cross .Females were a ball of sticky mangled leaf ,and a few calyxes .

• Like 1

All i know about ethylene and plants is that you don't store bananas with other fruit cos they release ethylene and that makes other fruit go mouldy quicker lol

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, brock1 said:

Absence of ethylene through the use of silver inhibitors  causes female cannabis to express hermaphroditism. Cannabis is mainly dioecious - it produces male or female seeds. 

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

Looking at the list of certified hemp seed there's mostly monoecious strains .It's a long list but might just be because they're low THC strains . Some of them can throw a very odd ,rare exotic plant that'll be ruined with seed but if not it'd be a diamond in a coal mine . 

44 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

You are in for a double helping of hermies with Glookies because it has Gorilla, which is hermie and Thin Mint Cookies  (Girl Scout Cookies) in it , which is derived from a hermie-prone Cherry Pie cut. Wedding Cake is another one because it has  Cherry Pie and GSC in it. Can you see a pattern? Girl Scout Cookies is actually Cherry Pie, but renamed. The finder of the Cherry Pie gifted cuts and asked the recipients not to call it 'Cherry Pie', hence one called it GSC because that's what he was eating at the time, apparently. The Cherry Pie clone was gifted before it was known to be hermie-prone. These guys with the gifted cuts were just supposed to be testers, but you know what happened...

It's such a shame all the nice sounding strains are prone to herm. That's my thinking as well though, might have fucked up ordering glookies from barney's farm. 

Could you or anyone else reading possibly recommend seeds I can get that are guaranteed to be resilient to herm? I'm fairy certain my environments spot on so it's got to be the genetics. Also, Ive started germinating 3 of the glookies, should i just chuck them?

Edited by FlooK

16 minutes ago, FlooK said:

It's such a shame all the nice sounding strains are prone to herm. That's my thinking as well though, might have fucked up ordering glookies from barney's farm. 

Could you or anyone else reading possibly recommend seeds I can get that are guaranteed to be resilient to herm? I'm fairy certain my environments spot on so it's got to be the genetics. Also, Ive started germinating 3 of the glookies, should i just chuck them?

I think you are in for more frustration if you carry on. Herm is on both sides of the parents. I've got some Gorilla myself, which probably won't get done unless I feel like  gambling one day. A lot of time, effort and money to risk though .

If i was buying fem seeds today that are dependable,stand up against anything I would go with karma genetics.

I recently saw pictures of a test grow facility of his and it was plants as far as the eye could see!!!

I ŕecently bought a couple of packs,regular aciddawg https://www.cannabis-seeds-bank.co.uk/karma-genetics-seeds-acid-dawg/prod_7568 and femmed ms29 which sell out quickly and have just been restocked.  https://www.cannabis-seeds-bank.co.uk/karma-genetics-seeds-ms29/prod_7693

It's easy to see why people go with Barneys farm,their marketing is superb!!all the latest trendy names/strains with photography to rival anything in the marketplace.however the plants pictured are probably the clones the seeds were made with or 1 in 100 plants and none show the seeds within!!

Shit...ive been at this for a good few years,have lots of friends who have experienced the sane as you have... and find myself enticed by them on occasion!!

Bin your seedlings mate,growing seeded plants is expensive these days! Àllthough its allways been a wish of mine to hash a full tent one day,which is a way of making lemonade when you grow lemons so to speak.

Good luck

• Like 2

I was always against using barney's farm as everyone says they always herm etc. I've ran a pack of triple cheese fems n although they weren't cheesey they were all really nice n had no problems with herm

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Michael Luchóg said:

As far as I'm aware ethylene from dying fruit can have an effect like sts ,and certainly this is new to me but still reckoning with the lineage ,through experience and no co-incidence and maybe that's one and the same ? I'm not a breeder so pardon my ignorance  ,just familiar with traits and plants .

Sure there were a few fellas that had only or mostly males from Killer skunk seed a few years ago too . 

One example , I had four strains and they all had the same mother ,a cut 1983 Gooey . I had dozens of seed of each cross and maybe 5 or 6 females . Some of the males were resinous . I made a hack with a HFH cross .Females were a ball of sticky mangled leaf ,and a few calyxes .

I had the gooey mother cut. Looked really nice but the smoke was bland and average imo. I have killer skunk growing now and I got 4 females out of the 10 I germinating which isn't bed. DJ short once told people to use males with trichcombes but that was some stupid advice. A lot of people done just that and ended up with hermi lines. It wouldn't surprise me if a few of the hermi problems today are linked to this bad advice. Similar advice came from Soma about using late hermaphrodite plants to make fem seeds causing a lot more hermaphrodite strains hitting the market. I suppose these guys were pioneering breeding techniques and made a bad mistake they released with knowledge so its not really their fault. Ethylene is produced by most fruits and plants. I only have experience using tomatoes and bananas to reverse sex of male plants. 

Edited by brock1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Colakush said:

I was always against using barney's farm as everyone says they always herm etc. I've ran a pack of triple cheese fems n although they weren't cheesey they were all really nice n had no problems with herm

I will be honest about my experience with their seeds. You grow their first release of a strain and its great. You buy that strains a year later and its a wreck that dosent resemble what you grow the first time around. Thats the reason I stopped using Barnys seeds. To inconsistent in the plant you grow from them.

7 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

Absence of ethylene through the use of silver inhibitors  causes female cannabis to express hermaphroditism. Cannabis is mainly dioecious - it produces male or female seeds. 

Thats not true ether. If a plant only as 2 genetics how can I use Colchicine and give it the ability to produce 4 different sets of genetics without adding 2 new genes? It as 4 in reality and uses 2 at any given time. Mantels inheritance law is only basic genetics of inheritance some people think is the only laws of genetics. In reality genetics are a lot more complex :hippy:

Edited by brock1
  • Like 3