Has anyone else had unbelievable bad luck with herms? I'm getting desperate

FlooK

i have been running a tent with a badly broken zip for 12 months or more (south facing room), not one single hermie.

• Like 1

Secret jardin tent/cat owner ... There's no way my environment is even remotely lightproof.

Yep you guessed it, no Herms here, had a blueberry x go dame Edna on me once but that was some time ago now and in a previous enviro.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/07/2023 at 7:58 PM, Oakapple said:

Sorry for resurrecting a 'Zombie' thread- but this was the topic I landed on while in despair over hermies recently- and some interesting advice here.

@FlooK Did you solve your hermie issue? 

Yep sorted them mate. I had a nightmare with them as well, really tricky fixing the issue. I believe it was a mixture of stressed plants and bag genetics

36 minutes ago, FlooK said:

Yep sorted them mate. I had a nightmare with them as well, really tricky fixing the issue. I believe it was a mixture of stressed plants and bag genetics

Thanks @FlooKWhat exactly did you do?

What do you think stressed your old ones out?

Light leak, temps, Ph?

Did you move away from Barneys?

I just hope to goodness that there isn’t stray hermie pollen lurking in my tent/ room 

Mine were showing actual balls at 2 weeks, so something was really stressing them badly.

( Hope light leak) 

There is a product called Optic Foliar Switch that some people swear by as a preventer, but would far rather not touch that. 

The contents are unknown. 

Far better to use good genetics and not to stress them. 
Am on same dog walk now as when first read your original post- Hope that’s a good sign!

I’m more sure from reading that unstable genes are more to do with it.

Someone on an overseas forum spent $500 on 10 regs

His or her environment was spot on.

They had ZERO females, just Males and Herms.

The topic might be searchable under “ Seed Junky Hermies test run”

It played out in real time and was jaw droppingly horrendous to see the balls appear.

Definitely no stress in that grow of any sort.

I went through the check list of issues like you mentioned; taped up any LEDs inside the tent, did a really deep clean, made sure there were no crazy high / low temps (30c+ etc), allowed for decent airflow as much as i could, threw a blanket over the tent during the day to cover any gaps in the zip and still the hermies kept coming. Someone recommended @seedstockers-mark and he sent me some of their strains so i could make certain the environment was ok. This was I think 3 or so cycles ago and each one has been fine since mate. 

One mistake I think I might have made was waiting far too long for trichomes to turn 30% amber. Sometimes in my limited experience it just doesn't happen all over the plant like a novice might expect and if you wait too long the plant will naturally herm so it can reproduce before the season ends. This might not be relevant at all just thought id throw it in!

Also are you growing from fem seeds or regs?

Edited by FlooK
  • Like 1