Does not compute - pc grow

v12xjs

Found this explanation of what happens during curing:

"After harvest, the plant begins to degrade as enzymes and aerobic bacteria break down excess sugars and starches. Curing cannabis essentially forces the plant to use up those sugars, starches, and excessive nutrients before they’ve had the chance to dry out and get stuck inside the plant."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, v12xjs said:

Happy to listen to anyone who can debunk it.

Yeah I'm still waiting to see a good side by side comparison of the same clones with a blind smoke test, it would definitely be good to get a definitive answer. 

The starch thing I'm not sure about either, with some fruit and veg the starches brwak down with age (apples, bananas) whereas with others (peas beans) I'm pretty sure its the other way round. Definitely something to look into more. 

E2A just spotted @Crow Rivers comment, guess that answers that one...

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

Appreciate the definition @Crow River but still think we're talking about different things.

the last bit of the quote actually suggests the same as me... before they’ve had the chance to dry out and get stuck inside the plant.

When I check the wiki for starch it says this:

Starch is synthesized in plant leaves during the day and stored as granules; it serves as an energy source at night. The insoluble, highly branched starch chains have to be phosphorylated in order to be accessible for degrading enzymes.

And when I look at the linked wiki for phosphorylated it says this:

In chemistry, phosphorylation is the attachment of a phosphate group to a molecule or an ion

I just don't see where the phosphate comes from in flushed dry bud locked in a kilner jar

• Like 1

@v12xjs, aha well I don't flush my grows any more. Did it the first time, but never bothered since. Also, how dry are we talking before the buds go in jars? Good dry, and maybe the starches etc. cannot be broken down?

Anyway, this is all guesswork. Somehow, curing works. I suspect it's not just breaking down chlorophyll, but other substances too. Possibly the steady humidity in the jars (around 60% RH) means the enzymes can get on with it? I dunno, but that's my guess. :) 

We need a biochemist or a qualified horticulturalist to answer this probably...

• Like 1

lol @Crow River, not sure it's important enough to call in the big guns. Just me being a inquisitive sod really :)

The process of cannabinoids breaking down on their own is pretty well known and documented I think.
When we harvest it seems the dominant chemicals in the plant are actually THCA and CBDA which are not psychoactive, and these break down simply as a function of time to become THC and CBD. CBD then breaks down further to CBG IIRC etc etc.
We can speed things up with the addition of heat as happens in decarboxylation, but time is enough for this to happen naturally.
That's all that's happening in the cure from what I can see and it's quite probably all we need to do, I'm really not sure. It just occurred to me that breaking down starch requires a human gut so simply won't happen in a sealed jar.
I'm sure it won't have any noticeable effect on potency but it might just make for a nicer smoke ;)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well just read this start to finish and what a cracking result v12xjs.. some great hints n tips and love the fact that you want to know why the taste wasn't quite there and how to remedy the issue..

Great job again amigo..:skin_up:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
36 minutes ago, v12xjs said:

Cheers @MindSoup

Glad you enjoyed the ride @Hashslag :) Many thanks for the comment.

Good luck with your upcoming grow, happy to help if needed.

Thanks very much!

I'm just beginning the cabinet conversion, so it's a way off yet but yeah, I'll be tapping into the micro-grow-gurus of UK420 for tips and tricks for sure. Not only will it be my first attempt at a micro, it'll be my first indoor attempt full stop so hopefully beginners luck will have a part to play lol 

• Like 2