Does not compute - pc grow

v12xjs

Turns out there's a LED unit pretty much the exact same size as the roof of my old pc case.
I couldn't help myself, so a couple of clicks later and it's another outing for the growbox.

I've changed the cooling a bit too, so pretty much everything needs dialling in. It's all a bit scruffy just now while I make sure everything works, but hey why not get a plant in there?
And maybe take a cutting ready for a perpetual?

large.R1110446.jpglarge.R1110443.jpg

• Like 18

Alright dude, I loved your first diary thingy, was it 1foot farm? Or am I getting confused? You grew with little cmh bulbs in a pc case. Anyhow I'm gonna follow along, see what I can learn this time around. Gonna check out that light too :bong: what's growing?

• Like 3

Yes that was me ;) Glad to have you back for this one.

I popped a freebie Seriosa seed this time round. Wanted something smelly while I test out a modded fan.

Doesn't really look suitable tbh but it's all I have that fits the bill. Apparently they like to do a single main cola with no sidebranching where I of course prefer the exact opposite.

We'll see how that goes.

• Like 4

I'm sure she'll turn out just fine :) had a peek at that light, looks nice mate, couldn't see whether it was dimmable though? I take it it would be for your small space? 

Best of luck! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the wellwishes, guys.
A pleasure to see you here too MindSoup. Welcome.

The light does have a dimmer option and I will be leaning on it heavily.
The blurb suggests that efficiency improves when it's dimmed but I'll have to read about that before I understand why.
Full pelt it draws 130w although my feeling is that anything over  50% will be asking for trouble.
I've set it at 45% to start.
Thinking I'll leave it there for now and see what happens.

Here's the dimmer and the ballast. Nice connector and cables with it too:

large.R1110453.jpg

• Like 6

Wall to wall coverage will be good when they get taller, especially as you can dial the light In nice and accurately.

• Like 2

Let's hope it's that simple :)

All the LED output modelling I've seen show peak light about 40cm below the light source, this one included, but my roots are closer than that never mind the buds!
Have to be honest that makes me a bit nervous.

Spent the day on the cooling system. I'm trying to cool above the light unit as it has no fans and I'm also trying to get some kind of odour control working.
Think it's all good now. Running at 50% fan power I got a peak 29.5C with a room ambient of over 25C today.
That means I can tidy everything up now.

Bit of progress on the little plant. I put the 2 main budsites a bit lower than the spindly bottom sidebranches to encourage them to grow and that's done the trick.
Will level them all off again in the morning and give them another few days before I switch. Just want to see a few 7 finger leaves so I know she's mature enough to flower.
She will be the only resident of the case this time round so I can let her go a bit.

large.P1110456.JPG

• Like 8

Quite happy with the rate of growth over the last couple of days. I think I probably need to get her into the bigger tub and switch the lights tomorrow if at all possible.
Seeing 9 finger leaves in the tops now so she should be mature enough to flower out.

I've been stressing the cooling and I'm not sure it's going to measure up, even to an English summer. These bathroom fans don't do much more than a decent pc fan so I'm going to order something with a bit more fizz.
Looking at the S&P CK25.

large.R1110459.jpg

• Like 6

Hey dude, looking good. If you  don't mind wiring a plug onto it, have a look at the Blauberg Ducto 100, it is a household/bathroom fan, but its really quiet and packs a real punch for its size. I've been really impressed with my one over the last 2 years or so. 

• Like 1

Really appreciate the suggestion @MindSoup. Already checked it out after you mentioned it to help someone else previously. Looks like a great find.

My preference is for centrifugal fans though. I find them more powerful in general and of course they are lightproof too, so perfect for my needs.

The bathroom fan was left by a workman recently so thought I might be able to use it, but after a few warm spring days I'm not sure it will keep a perpetual cool in the summer.

I did manage to do the repot today so I'll give the plant 48 hours to recover and then it's 12/12.

On inspection I wasn't really happy with the leaves. Not waxy at all and a bit lime green compared to when it was feeding on its cotyledons.
I've already upped the food to 3/4 strength and they don't actually look bad atm.
Think I might tone the light down and see if that changes anything.

Roots looked good though.
I tend to be a bit rough when I repot them but it works for my small pots. They all start in a 7oz cup and then to a 1 litre before the final 1.9 litre pot.

So the process is to take out the rootball and use a paint brush to remove the soil, right back to almost the base of the stem.

I have the new pot ready and almost full, so it will just accommodate the newly hacked rootball and then give the bed a bit of a feed. Then I put the rootball onto the bed making sure it's covered with the roots before topping everything up and applying a good feed.
You can see that almost all the medium is rooted this way, so all the food is eaten at every feed.

large.R1110461.jpg

large.R1110462.jpg

Edited by v12xjs
  • Like 5

Think I sorted out the issue with the leaves. The problem seemed to be related to magnesium but I'm using Canna nutes so I know there's enough in the feed.
Then it dawned on me that when I first started with Canna I found the full strength to be way too low on pH. Once I dropped it to half strength it was just about right for my grow and I've been running like that for years.
So I just dropped some lime pellets into yesterday's feed to kickstart the magnesium and lift the pH a bit, and the plant seems a lot better now.

I also noticed a preflower under those 9 finger fan leaves which confirms that she's ready to flower out, so I flipped her yesterday.
I'll keep all the cola's for now as they'll help to keep overall height down during the stretch. I can always cut them away if she isn't climbing quick enough.

large.R1110472.jpg

large.R1110473.jpg

large.R1110475.jpg

• Like 12

Thanks for looking and commenting guys.

Just to kind of round things off I've got 2 more pics, just reality checks really.
First is the clone. She's rooted ok but has also been affected by the Canna sulphuric acid I was feeding them with.
Never seen a plant with those markings before, not sure if I should treat her for acne instead!

The other pic is from under the canopy. She might look very compact from above but you can see the internodes are pretty distant so I might need to get creative before the end of the stretch. Little monkey grew an inch overnight!
Loving the main stem too, that's my 10ml syringe next to it for scale.

large.R1110479.jpg

large.R1110478.jpg

• Like 5