"electronic" music in the UK- Dubstep etc Why?

Cajafiesta

The Stone Roses created a bridge from rave music to guitar music in a certain generation :) Baggy pilled-up ravers that were also into blues-based guitar rock :)

• Like 1

@Boojum Throbbing gristle , there's a blast from the past!! 

I'm digging out the early pitchshifter records when I get in! Love a bit of industrial

:yinyang:

• Like 1

Just now, BilgePump said:

pitchshifter

Now there's a name id totally forgotten about. Nicked one of their cds of my big brother along with a unkle album

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

And Primal Scream when Bobby Gillespie took MDMA lol

Higher Than The Sun :)

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 2

Fear factory! Fuck I've found a whole part of my brain I'd left in the back of a draw lol

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Arthur Mix said:

@monkeypig I’m meaning the london scene

Sounds more like the 90s deptford squat scene to me! I think we are talking about slightly different eras, although I was certainly taking London too. Not many traditional musicians but nevertheless some outstanding sonic talent.  Just shows how wide and varied the people came into this music we love from. And from this we the foundations laid for everything we take for granted now. 

Sounds like we probably moved in some pretty similar circles, maybe we have met and chatted codshit at 4am with an 80k rig blasting away! Who knows. Did you play with pirate radio too?

• Like 1

@monkeypig we used to do the Deptford urban festival when that happened regularly.  Had a few squats round there the last one was the universal tyres depot  around early 2000’s . If you went to squat parties in london  during 90’s and early noughties we prob chatted at the door or maybe the bar etc or maybe behind the system if you was known  .:oldtoker: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cajafiesta said:

@Boojum agreed in totality.  I just got the impression, on here, that there seemed to be a penchant, specifically, for electronic stuff.  Curious about the genesis of that trend, if it actually was one.  That's all. 

The overwhelming answer, so far, is basically "drugs." lol  

A totally valid reason. 

It's not just drugs mate.  Immigration has had a massive impact on the cultural diversity within British music for a long time. (not just music, food and a great many other influences etc. have enriched our culture and coincided with what's arrived here after the imperial days).  

Have you heard the European 'electronic' scene ?  It's a given since becoming incorporated with the continent following the Common Market/EU agreements that as we've also integrated more immigration from Europe, those influences have also taken hold too and then has been mixed with other, previous flavours from, first the commonwealth territories etc.   What happens is we then blend it all together and export it.  

It's a fantastic testament to the positivity of cultures coming together to create more than the sum of the individual parts of course.  In a small country such as ours, when so many different cultural influences come together it can produce some wonderful things.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Shaggy1 said:

@Cajafiestaif you wanna look at some underground UK hiphop/ rap, check out high focus TV on YouTube. Four owls and cult of the damned are decent

Yeah, I’m into that. Looks like I’m diving down the UK hip hop rabbit hole 

• Like 2

@Cajafiestacan I have a go at turning you onto some of my favourite uk electronic music?

Smoke some sativa...wack this on with the bass cranked up...and get your chores done with a spring in your step

WIND IT BACK TO THE START AS FOR ME IT STARTS 3/4 OF THE WAY THROUGH???

Edited by stu sleeper 20vt
  • Like 3

There's no full version on Youtube :(

But Kruder & Dorfmeister - The K&D Sessions is just such a fucking great stoned chill-out album :)

This is the first track, listen to the rest :)

Banco de Gaia - Last Train to Lhasa

Stoned masterpiece :notworthy:

• Like 3