"electronic" music in the UK- Dubstep etc Why?

Cajafiesta

@Boojum agreed in totality.  I just got the impression, on here, that there seemed to be a penchant, specifically, for electronic stuff.  Curious about the genesis of that trend, if it actually was one.  That's all. 

The overwhelming answer, so far, is basically "drugs." lol  

A totally valid reason. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cajafiesta said:

Not only drugs but I can guarantee you’d enjoy it a lot more on some really good beanies lol

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

I'm 60. When you say 'electronic music', I  think of Tangerine Dream! 

I saw Tangerine Dream on 05th November 1976. Manchester Free Trade Hall. Again in 78 both were outstanding. Edgar Frose did the best guitar solo I've ever seen to this day in 76. I'm also 60

• Like 2

@Cajafiesta

Another accoustic player here, folk and blues mostly but have a pretty eclectic taste, if I like something I'll give it a go.

My playing style is fingerpicking based leaning towards Ralph McTell, Mark Knopfler etc. not a great lover of screaming lead solos.

I started playing in the days when the only way we had to amplifiy a guitar was to stick a mike in front of it, (or drop one in the soundhole)

Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton, Brian May, Paul Simon, George Harrison, ...all top class guitar players...the list is endless.

Anyone who hasn't heard the 'Easy Rider' soundtrack I would advise them to give it a listen...seeing as drugs has been mentioned...

• Like 2

Funny thing is most the techno producers I know from london also play in bands . The techno system we did originated from doing bands at free festivals and kind of grew into electronic only. Same with jungle quite a few play conventional instruments. It’s only the young lot with laptops only I can’t take them serious ,oh that and pre set sets rehearsed and mostly mimed to lol  

• Like 5

@stu914 Good list there, dude.  You covered several I neglected.  The Clapton-bluesbreakers era was certainly a thing to behold.  Would have been cool to witness that.  You know someone is making a mark when "Clapton is God" gets scrawled on shit in public.  

Forgot about Brian May.  Totally deserving of mention.  Endlessly tasteful guitar playing AND an astrophysicist.  No big deallol

Paul Simon is a genius.  His chord choices and ear for melody are unmatched.  Seriously timeless stuff that came from him. 

Are you familiar with Tommy Emmanuel?  Give him a look, if you're not.  World class acoustic guy.  Totally killer player. 

• Like 3

Just now, Cajafiesta said:

@Boojum agreed in totality.  I just got the impression, on here, that there seemed to be a penchant, specifically, for electronic stuff.  Curious about the genesis of that trend, if it actually was one.  That's all. 

A totally valid reason. 

lol I can't speak for anyone else but for me it's definitely drugs, initially it was MDMA and acid, I think they opened me to 'rave' music (and stuff like The Orb, Ozric Tentacles, Hawkwind etc), broke me out of my pure metal/punk mindset and that in turn led me to loads of other stuff I'd never listened to before because I'd never encountered it. And now I don't do any drugs apart from booze and weed, but I find weed helps me enjoy music more, both stuff I like and stuff that's new to me :)

• Like 2

UK Garage (pronounced Garidge) is probably the defining sound of UK electronic music for me. It probably has a lot to do with my age. My formative years mid to late teens were spent in "the record cafe" a local music shop tucked away above a row of high street shops I used to spend hours in there listening to all the UKG white labels I could get my hands on. But the sound is distinctly UK. UKG is enjoying some what of a comeback these last few years with various samples, remixes and distinctive Garage beats featuring in mainstream tracks. Another example and whilst not what I'd call strictly Electronic music is Grime which came from the same scene as UKG but in my mind is more an equivalent to Hip Hop but again very distinct, very UK.

Edited by NezA
  • Like 2

Just now, Boojum said:

lol I can't speak for anyone else but for me it's definitely drugs, initially it was MDMA and acid, I think they opened me to 'rave' music (and stuff like The Orb, Ozric Tentacles, Hawkwind etc), broke me out of my pure metal/punk mindset and that in turn led me to loads of other stuff I'd never listened to before because I'd never encountered it. And now I don't do any drugs apart from booze and weed, but I find weed helps me enjoy music more, both stuff I like and stuff that's new to me :)

It's funny.  I find myself doing the same thing re drugs and music.

Just a different flavor than you're describing. 

I grew up on rock.  Saw van halen when I was 10, cut my teeth as a guitar player obsessing over Django Reinhardt and the whole Hot Club deal from France, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Robert Johnson.  I was a fucking weird 12 year old.  12 year old chubby white kid walking around in a Robert Johnson tshirt.  

Anyhow, I never played much into the stereotypical "weed music" made by live humans like Reggae etc.

In my mid 30s, and about 7 years into my "professional dope smoking career" now, I find myself going back and REALLY appreciating a lot of Peter Tosh.  The later Reggae doesn't do much for me, but the later "early" years is some killer stuff.  Sort of a "weed led me to Peter Tosh" sorta idea.  Which seems obvious, but it took me a while to get there.  

Booze was a different animal entirely.  I used to get plastered and listed to isolated drum and guitar track from VH and Zeppelin records for HOURS.  I've obsessed over every Eddie Van Halen iso track on youtube endlessly.  Booze man.  Different animal entirely. 

• Like 1

Just now, Arthur Mix said:

Funny thing is most the techno producers I know from london also play in bands . The techno system we did originated from doing bands at free festivals and kind of grew into electronic only. Same with jungle quite a few play conventional instruments. It’s only the young lot with laptops only I can’t take them serious ,oh that and pre set sets rehearsed and mostly mimed to lol  

Steve Hillage for one. Saw Steve loads of times in the 70's then he cropped up as System 7

• Like 3

@NezA I may be misinterpreting, but there seems to be a pretty specific "thing" in uk hip hop, too.  The delivery, at least of the stuff I've heard, is pretty deadpan and non-rhythmic.  I tend to dig it.  What's the dude's name I've heard a good deal of....

"The Streets" or something like that, I think it was?  I always thought that was pretty unique.  

Just now, Arthur Mix said:

That's a thing that happens in the US, too.  I can only speak to the "rock music" aspect, but often times, the record producer is the best musician in the studio. 

Brendan O'Brien comes to mind.  His sound is the sound of the 90s in the US.  Stone Temple Pilots, The Black Crowes, Rage Against The Machine etc etc etc.

Brendan O'Brien shaped music in the us in the 90s and became VERY wealthy for it.  The irony is that there are a lot of reports from members of the band commenting on his musicianship.  One of the RATM dudes made specific mention of how profusely good he is at guitar.  Like freak level good.  He played the solo on the Black Crowes cover of "Hard To Handle" that made them famous.  He was just the engineer for the session, Jeff Tease was too fucked up to pull a good solo off. Brendan grabbed a guitar, ripped the solo and went on about his business.  Boom, famous guitar solo hah.  Brendan is rumored to have written or had a big hand in helping write most of the STP songs that were their hits in the 90s.  

I've always thought the producers had the best gig.  Make music, get filthy rich, remain anonymous.  You make rockstar money without having to deal with being a rock star.  

• Like 2

Yeah that'd be Mike Skinner @Cajafiesta he sits in his very own genre and is a very special unique artist in my opinion. There's nothing that sounds like "The Streets" here's my favorite track from them.

Incredible music that anyone can vibe with.

Edited by NezA
  • Like 1

When I think of electronic music I immediately jump to Depeche Mode (fuck knows why? I was born in 84) 

But I guess I'm partial to a bit of dnb , jungle etc (Mrs P is constantly blasting Ed Solo) 

My first love though is and always will be grubby orrible heavy metal , gimme a zoot and a cathedral or sepultura record and I'm a happy camper.

Most of if not all my mates in secondary school and college were well into techno and trance etc , spent far more time than I'd like to admit listening to euphoria and bonkers and from what I gleaned about that particular scene was drugs , it's drugs , pasty base and gurners for the most part.

Last three bands I've seen in order...

Motorhead

Depeche mode (!?)

The dead south... If that's not eclectic I dunno what is lol

:yinyang:

• Like 2

yeah!  Thats him @NezA  Haven't heard any of his stuff in 15 years, i bet.  Had a friend in highschool that was really into it.  That's great stuff.  You're right.  A very specific thing.  He does a great job, clearly a lot of intent into his process.  I dig it.  

Some US "underground" hip hop for you, if you're into that sorta thing. 

Atmosphere aka "Slug"

Eyedea and Abilities

• Like 2