"electronic" music in the UK- Dubstep etc Why?

Cajafiesta

2 minutes ago, Arthur Mix said:

Funny thing is most the techno producers I know from london also play in bands

Not disagreeing with your experiences, but I know quite a few of the aforementioned and none are in bands(as we would traditionally think of) - possibly just moving in different circles! A lot of the older generation I know came from DJing soul and rare groove etc and drifted into the early rave scene and moved on producing from there.

• Like 1

It’s huge and has been huge in the US and elsewhere too. Just sounds like it’s not your style/scene and you can’t comprehend why people like different stuff. How young are you?

• Like 1

@monkeypig I’m meaning the london scene , liberators , geezer , Dave the drummer , ddr loads all in bands lol most the producers I know or met when we had a pressing plant where instruments and electronic , some very talented people tbh.  

Just now, SnakePlissken said:

It’s huge and has been huge in the US and elsewhere too. Just sounds like it’s not your style/scene and you can’t comprehend why people like different stuff. How young are you?

Huge is relative.  It is absolutely not huge in the US relative to the totality of US music.  Like anywhere, it may be "huge" in it's own environment, but it is not popular, generally speaking. 

What's popular in the US is hip hop/rap (a great deal of it out of Atlanta present day), general "pop" music out of LA and "Country" which is Pop music out of Nashville.  That's what's popular.

It's definitely not my style or my scene, but that has no bearing on my ability to comprehend why people like different music.  

The point of the topic was not to state that I think the music is valueless or stupid.

The point of the thread was to learn WHY it is popular.  How did it come to be that it seems popular based on my exposure to it on this site, and this site only. 

How and Why.  That's the point. 

It doesn't have to be charged with an ulterior motive.  I just like knowing the "Why" of things. 

That's all.

e2a: I'm old enough to know who Snake Plissken is. 

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 2

@Cajafiesta it was actually the loudest thing I've ever experienced , fuck who actually needs eardrums?! lol

It was before Lemmy got seriously ill so probably a good 16 or so years ago now (fuck me feels like yesterday) , tiny venue, ten minute drum solo in which I thought my arse was gonna fall out.

Lemmy actually sang the 8 of spades instead of ace which tickled me.

Sepultura supported but didn't play any of the Derek green era stuff save for a couple tracks off of against.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

@BilgePump rightfully so.  I mean...It's fuckin' Motorhead!  That's killer.  Would be a cool experience to see them live, especially if Lemmy was still in decent condition.  

Haven't thought about Sepultura in a while.  I came around more in the Soulfly era of Max Cavalera's music.  This is all taking me back 20 years in my musical preferences haha.  Time warp!

• Like 1

electronic music goes way back in the uk, early 80's there was synth pop, then late 80's early nineties it exploded with the rave scene and never really died

• Like 1

Pink Floyd were doing electronic music, using synths and stuff in the mid-late 1960s and they were by no means the first.

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 6

@Cajafiesta. I caught Motorhead first in 1977 through to about 1980. The first Motorhead show I saw the band came on for an encore and Lemmy said "we don't know any more songs so we'll play the first 4 numbers again! Gotta love Lem?

• Like 3

Just now, Larry Badgeley said:

@Cajafiesta. I caught Motorhead first in 1977 through to about 1980. The first Motorhead show I saw the band came on for an encore and Lemmy said "we don't know any more songs so we'll play the first 4 numbers again! Gotta love Lem?

Classic! That would have been a thing to be there for in person, during that time.  There's a really great documentary on Lemmy I saw a while back.  It follows him around in LA.  Really interesting cat.  Pretty intelligent dude with some weird hobbies. He was obsessed with Nazi memorabilia, apparently.   I still don't understand how he lived to be the age he did while, reportedly, drinking a 1.75L bottle of Jack Daniels EVERY SINGLE DAY.  That's mind-boggling. 

Always thought his " don't care" attitude was endearing.  Played bass "wrong."  Played through a guitar amp, didn't care.  Did things his own way, and I'd say it worked out pretty well. 

I think Throbbing Gristle is much overlooked in the rise of 'electronic' music. They basically created the 'industrial' sound that the likes of Nine Inch Nails came from. The harder edge of electronica.

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

I saw Tangerine Dream on 05th November 1976. Manchester Free Trade Hall. Again in 78 both were outstanding. Edgar Frose did the best guitar solo I've ever seen to this day in 76. I'm also 60

Seen the film called The Keep? Soundtrack and a half.