Making oil from vape resin

Crow River

I actually have the start of a lab kit. I bought some glassware from China, flasks and condensers and connectors.

I thought, once I'd gone that far, I might as well get a vacuum pump and do the boiling under that at room temperature. So I'm just waiting for a turn to buy the right pump and the last few vacuum fittings for the glass, and some spare weed, to give it a roll.

Edited by Keye
words
  • Like 1

Not yet, no @B0bbyBuds!

I'll just be setting up a boiling flask and a short path column and a condenser with water jacket ending in collection flasks. I need vacuum crimp clamps for the joints and also the right grease. Then I'll just put the boiling end in to hot water from the tap. But it's the vacuum pump I need to buy and I'm not in a 'purchase rotation', shall we say, for that sort of thing right now! I've just started my mushroom project in earnest so that's taking up space in the house and I need to get a brew on soon.

• Like 2

Medical vacuum/oil-less pump @B0bbyBuds. I've got vacuum pumps that work for doing things like resin degassing (many projects on the go/in the past) but I don't want to put machine oil in to my oil and I intend on doing more extraction/distillation stuff in the coming years.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, B0bbyBuds said:

How about using a condenser? You can get pretty cheap glassware condenser setups online. Then use water on the stove as a water bath. Keeps the alcohol out the atmosphere.

Now we're getting into science lab territory. I like the idea, but I have so much stuff in my place I'm not sure where I'd store it. For an event that might only occur twice a year? Not sure if it's worth going the whole hog. Would be fairly safe though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Keye said:

I'll just be setting up a boiling flask and a short path column and a condenser with water jacket ending in collection flasks. I need vacuum crimp clamps for the joints and also the right grease. Then I'll just put the boiling end in to hot water from the tap. But it's the vacuum pump I need to buy and I'm not in a 'purchase rotation', shall we say, for that sort of thing right now! I've just started my mushroom project in earnest so that's taking up space in the house and I need to get a brew on soon.

Living the dream man! Can’t wait to have my own place lol can finally do all these fun things too. 

what’s the purchase rotation? 

• Like 1

Sounds like you're half way to building a DiY Vaporlaborium (see vapolaborium dot com) 

He uses a crucible heater and distillation column  

Which also converts into a rather impressive looking vape too, with a few more bits of glass lol 

I picked up a cheap temp controlled airstill for this, from the auction site 

(which I mainly use for sous vide now tbh as the PID is surprisingly accurate) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hippie on hill said:

I picked up a cheap temp controlled airstill for this, from the auction site 

(which I mainly use for sous vide now tbh as the PID is surprisingly accurate) 

I entered the online retail wormhole earlier and found these. Looks more like the kind of thing I could get along with. Only question is - using this setup, how would you collect the oil/residue after the alcohol has been evaporated off?

Well, @B0bbyBuds, Purchase Rotation is the frequency by which non-essential items can be purchased within your household budget!

We need stuff as a house/home/family, my wife and I don't have separate accounts; so I'd fuck things up if I just went and bought everything and anything I wanted when I have the money. Having the money and being able to afford things are not the same. Sometimes my wife will spend money on non-essentials, sometimes I will and sometimes we'll save extra money we have for low times. If we've been spending a lot or there's a spend horizon coming, we slow down the silly shit. Beer brewing, mushroom growing, nights out, luxuries like take outs and trainers not for work etc. etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Keye said:

Well, @B0bbyBuds, Purchase Rotation is the frequency by which non-essential items can be purchased within your household budget!

We need stuff as a house/home/family, my wife and I don't have separate accounts; so I'd fuck things up if I just went and bought everything and anything I wanted when I have the money. Having the money and being able to afford things are not the same. Sometimes my wife will spend money on non-essentials, sometimes I will and sometimes we'll save extra money we have for low times. If we've been spending a lot or there's a spend horizon coming, we slow down the silly shit. Beer brewing, mushroom growing, nights out, luxuries like take outs and trainers not for work etc. etc.

This is where we are at me n my mrs getting the last few bills paid from xmass and paying of our holiday then left over money she might spend im waiting for my turn next month funds will look healthier. 

Weve had a spend horizon these last 2 months 

The way you explained it works i get it.

We share one joint account aswell.

:cowboy:

You reduce it down and transfer to a smaller bowl (I use silicone cake molds) 

Fill the still with enough cooking oil for the bowl to stand in (or on top of something like the chopsticks mentioned earlier) like an oil bain marie 

Heat the oil knowing that inside the bowl will be a few degrees lower than the oil, and do the final reduction.

As you've use oil, if you need to decarb you can whooop it up to decarb temp then too

• Like 1