Making oil from vape resin

Crow River

I do the same as M Pamplemouse and I just let it evaporate at room temperature. It may take a few weeks but what's the rush?

• Like 1

I always boil mine off.....

Roasting pan of water on the hob, put my glass dish pan in it with the oil/ISO. I put two metal chopsticks on the bottom to lift the glass off the direct heat and let the water underneath and I open the windows in the kitchen which draws the air out. To finish it off, I blast a hair dryer at it. Takes very little time. Sometimes I'll pour the last bit out on to a glass sheet and use the hair dryer on that.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Crow River said:

Hey folks, thanks for the tips. I already save up AVB, but haven't tried extraction with it. Just use it directly. No additional decarbing as the vape has done the job already.

I checked a few guides on how to use resin from combustion, e.g. from a pipe, bong or dab rig. Haven't seen anything except anecdotes regarding vape residue. I would have thought condensed resin from a vape would be better than the tarry gloop from combustion though? No carcinogenic byproducts, charcoal, etc. 

What I have read is that this 'reclaim' is heavier on the CBD side, which makes sense.

I've probably still some way to go yet as far as the concentration of resin dissolved in the alcohol. Will probably wait a few months, see how dark it gets...

Note evaporation methods here:  https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/diy-cannamed-production/9-4-extraction/9-4-8-isopropyl-extraction/9-4-8-1-qwiso

Reclaim is typically higher in CBN, not CBD, unless it was a high CBD strain to start with.

• Like 2

Just now, Crow River said:

@Graywolf, thanks a lot, great information at those links.

Thanks for the appreciation!  Check out the menu at the top of the link page for more germane topics:  https://graywolfslair.com/index.php

I forgot to mention that any essential oil condensed from a vapor in a pipe will be decarboxylated and missing it's lighter terpenes.

Edited by Graywolf
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Personunknown said:

Rad top with a dust cover on the dish tray your evaporating works ,but takes a good  bit of time

Thanks, yeah that's an option I'll look into. Will need to be a well ventilated area I suppose... :) 

6 hours ago, M Pamplemousse said:

Just let it evap safely.

Scrape off and use. If vaped it will be pretty nasty and possibly still traces of iso. I would eat.

And as others have said, your abv once processed is good for sleep.... I keep all mine and process in butter.

I make infused oil (usually coconut but have tried olive) with AVB and trim. Definitely more inclined towards edibles rather than re-vaping. I have enough fresh bud for the latter, plus I'm really keen to get my processes for edibles up to scratch. They are a good way to share with people who don't smoke or vape. :) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Maesteg Cannabis Club said:

I do the same as M Pamplemouse and I just let it evaporate at room temperature. It may take a few weeks but what's the rush?

Indeed! Yeah maybe just a room temperature process. Safer, if nothing else.

4 hours ago, Keye said:

I always boil mine off.....

Roasting pan of water on the hob, put my glass dish pan in it with the oil/ISO. I put two metal chopsticks on the bottom to lift the glass off the direct heat and let the water underneath and I open the windows in the kitchen which draws the air out. To finish it off, I blast a hair dryer at it. Takes very little time. Sometimes I'll pour the last bit out on to a glass sheet and use the hair dryer on that.

Well if you're comfortable doing that, great. I'd be too worried about fire hazard. We have a gas hob. Sure I can open the window but the fumes would quickly permeate the house. No, the prospect is giving me the fear.

I will probably stick to low temperature, slower but gentler processes.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2

Before we built our lab, we did most of our extractions on my patio under an umbrella or pop up.  Now that we no longer have a lab, I again use my patio with cover for extractions.

Edited by Graywolf
  • Like 3

I use my gas hob, too. If you're in a sealed room it won't be good. If you can smell it you're on the ramp to reality. My kitchen is long and thin and has windows on three sides and one in the roof. It doesn't take a lot to make the fumes get out. I'm comfortable with what is happening in my space, but I wouldn't encourage people to do it. I've seen friends 'outside' doing BHO in a pipe and you can see the haze drifting straight back in to their homes. Not sure at which point your home become a carburettor but that's never good. If I had a litre of ISO I would prepare differently.

• Like 1

@Keye, sounds pretty well ventilated. Just extraction and one big window in my kitchen. Whenever someone cooks the aromas spread through the house, so I'm ill at ease with the idea of boiling off alcohol.

• Like 2

No air movement with ISO on top of a radiator will produced the same effect. A localised mix of ISO and air, the size of a balloon, makes a nice pop. Make sure there is ventilation and air movement anywhere you do this.

• Like 2

The smell for me is worse when I'm just letting the 'last bits' evaporate on it's own, over window ventilation. If I pour onto my glass sheet, I might leave that alone for a few days but it really stinks, so I like to get it all done and dusted.

I don't leave my extractor on - it's creating sparks every 1/4 turn on its brushes, or potentially could be, and I don't want to be sending fumes up there. I don't let people in to be flicking switches and I don't let the thermostat click on. Overly paranoid perhaps, but I don't have any technical learning in this field; only experience. I use to boil ISO in sealed jars in water baths on the gas hob when I was young, lifting it in and out of the hot water. The jar went 'fump' when it was opened. 

Be safe and if you don't feel safe, you're not - even if what you're doing is safe. If you don't handle the situation with safety, it's not safe. 

• Like 1

How about using a condenser? You can get pretty cheap glassware condenser setups online. Then use water on the stove as a water bath. Keeps the alcohol out the atmosphere.

• Like 2