Making oil from vape resin

Crow River

Since I bought a new vape last year I've been soaking the glass mouthpiece in isopropyl alcohol to clean the gunk out. Out of laziness/inertia/thriftiness I never bothered to refresh the alcohol in the jar and it has turned a nice amber colour.

I've read here and elsewhere about the use of 'reclaim' to make oil using alcohol. It hadn't occurred to me earlier, or I would have cleaned with some Everclear or similar. I'm now thinking that I could continue my cleaning routine with the isopropyl, and then at some point evaporate it off to produce oil or resin. A little bit evaporates every time I open the jar anyway, but obviously I'd need a more systematic approach.

Maybe the resulting oil or resin could be used for edibles. Anyone tried this? 

• Like 1

Haven’t tried the alcohol method but it definitely works. 

I have scraped the oil off the vape and put it back in the vape (mighty cooling unit) and blew my mind. 

Edibles should work too. 

Edited by B0bbyBuds
  • Like 4

If you can find a way definitely do it.

I extracted some trim with ipa years ago.
I couldn’t quite get all the alcohol out.
It left the oil with a kinda sweet smell taste. I dare say with better evaporation techniques it could turn out much better. Maybe run it through a coffee filter first before you evaporate also. Pre wetting said filter with some fresh alcohol.

There will probably be a good guide somewhere on tinterwebs already.

I quite regularly re vape the stuff that collects in my vaporgenie glass bat . I just spin it round and heat the chamber over the hob until the lovely amber goo starts bubbling. And inhale from the opposite end.

Hey presto… ghetto dabbing:D
As @B0bbyBuds  already alludes…..Buckle in shits strong :scared: 

• Like 2

Save up the already vaped bus as well, put it into a 1/2 gallon jar.

I wonder if you would need to decarboxiolate it if it has already been vaped?

When the jar is half full fill it 3/4 of the way up with alcohol.

Evaporate off all the alcohol and you will be left with a few grams of sticky black oil.

Great for edibles:yep:

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Like 3

Hey folks, thanks for the tips. I already save up AVB, but haven't tried extraction with it. Just use it directly. No additional decarbing as the vape has done the job already.

I checked a few guides on how to use resin from combustion, e.g. from a pipe, bong or dab rig. Haven't seen anything except anecdotes regarding vape residue. I would have thought condensed resin from a vape would be better than the tarry gloop from combustion though? No carcinogenic byproducts, charcoal, etc. 

What I have read is that this 'reclaim' is heavier on the CBD side, which makes sense.

I've probably still some way to go yet as far as the concentration of resin dissolved in the alcohol. Will probably wait a few months, see how dark it gets...

Edited by Crow River

From my experience, never use the cleaning iso for making hash. I've made pure iso oil from avb and it knocks me out like a sedative. Don't be smoking it though, it's decarbed so much the thc has degraded to cbn, which is another beast high after the liver converts them into more potent versions. Ideally, just simmer all the avb in a large pot with water and a pot of coconut oil for an hour or so, then strain and seperate when cold. That oil can be added to anything and will taste pretty good for avb. :yep:

• Like 4

Don't really want to head down the RSO route. Too much like a bad fire hazard. I've no suitable outdoor area to use for the purpose. 

I'm thinking more leave a glass dish somewhere warm (e.g. atop a radiator) to let alcohol evaporate then scrape up the residue.

• Like 1

In a window maybe with the sun on it ? That could be a terrible idea tho, just throwing it out there . Or maybe put a little usb fan on it ?

Edited by Jack?
  • Like 1

@Jack? USB fan most likely, that's a good shout. Sunlight might degrade the compounds in the resin. Indeed I should probably keep my cleaning jar somewhere dark.

• Like 1

Just let it evap safely.

Scrape off and use. If vaped it will be pretty nasty and possibly still traces of iso. I would eat.

And as others have said, your abv once processed is good for sleep.... I keep all mine and process in butter.

• Like 3