Should I tell my Dr?

mystic_roots

Be careful what you wish for then . I guess you wouldn't want to accidentally pull out a ''Cancard'' instead of a licence at a checkpoint  .

• Like 2

I think it depends on the type of person the doctor is. I go to a large doctors practice,  at times I'm in there every week, you never see same doctor twice unless you request them, so I sounded out each of the doctors in turn until I'd identified a fairly progressive one, walked into his room and  told him straight away I hadn't been taking the prescription opiates they'd chuck at me every month as I was sick of being a zombie and that I'd started to use cannabis and was finding it helped so much more than the pills, true. He said he can't give me an official recommendation to use cannabis at all for my condition but did say if I find it helps then that's a good thing, then sent me on a pain management course that taught mindfulness techniques as I was adamant I'm done with the pills. Nice doctor. But, I don't drive nor can I, and it was 1 doctor out of 10. Also, when I bought my first ever packet of seeds from the grow shop very near my doctors the grow shop guy (who is a friend of a good friend) asked me if the doctor had sent me across, when I questioned this he claimed he got atleast 1 person a month come in for seeds and advice on growing at home for total beginners after their doctor had suggested it, but I wouldn't recommend telling your doctor until you can be sure of their views on the subject :)

is maybe a post code lottery again, i was in cheshire when i first told the doc i used cannabis for my mental, now i'm in liverpool same here i told my new doc, i cant praise them enough and not one of then is english. anyway i still have my licence even though i gave my car away, i'm losing my sight slowly is the reason i decided myself to stop driving

just a thought that over the last 50 years i been bust 6 times and convicted for possessing cannabis nobody ever tried take my licence

I hate to sound like a dick but is the ‘expensive car’ also causing you some form of anxiety? Got to ask out of being nosey but what car is it?

Im not sure the doctors give two hoots about what car you roll up in or even if you own a car. They see so many people a day and try and have their normal lives, they aren’t peeking out the window to see if Mr Jones from number 42 is rolling in a slammed high performance car he obviously can’t afford! To be honest mate if you sit somewhere like a doctors car park for long enough you will see all sorts of people in all sorts of cars. 

The main problem with telling the doctor is how you tell them. If you tell them in a calm, professional and sensible manner that you do find some relief using cannabis on occasion and discuss it with them then I have found you can have an adult conversation with them. Like others have mentioned I have been told by a doc to give it a whirl and if it helps it’s fine.

As an aside if you are ever in a medical emergency and you have narcotics in your system just tell them as they don’t care just need to know how you react to what they are giving you!

Anyway if you roll into the surgery stinking of weed and telling them how you smoke it all the day etc you will be ringing alarm bells!! 

Just be human and judge the situation, a lot of doctors and nurses like to get off their tits too.

Personally of your concerned about the docs telling the DVLA because you’re in a nice car and like to chuff the herb I would look wider at my day to day. 

Expensive cars don’t draw attention to Police if your look like you fit it and your not in a dodge area. If it’s all legit being taxed, registered and insured and you can prove the funds for buying it you have not much to worry about unless you drive like a dick or get involved in an accident. 

Driving with weed in my system I would be far more worried about the police than my GP especially if you have any form of previous history with them.

how is your doctor going to know what car you drive, do they hang around in the car park taking details ?

are you employed, if so tell the doc where you work

Edited by ratdog

18 hours ago, gb1 said:

telling your doc your med info is between you and them. 

Doctors are no longer doctors when you can't speak to them without worry of any type, harm or repercussion!

I know mate, they're just civil servants now. with only the information the government allow them to have

Its got really sad!!

• Like 1

Guest anarchycamp

Let's make it 3 out of 3 this week kids, who's off to tell Fireman Sam to come check their automatic extinguishers...

Jokes aside, it's not worth it.

Everytime I've had appointments about mental health stuff and admitted I smoke cannabis it's essentially the end of any help I get. They say to me ti should have 3 months without it minimum before they can even start helping me. I don't bother telling any medical people any more just so they actually focus on what's up with me instead of my weed. 

Shame really, really goes against the grain 

• Like 4

On 16/01/2022 at 4:25 PM, mystic_roots said:

How many of you tell your Dr that you smoke cannabis to help with a medical condition?

No smell no sell no tell :yep: 

On 1/16/2022 at 4:37 PM, catweazle1 said:

I would think, if you told them you smoke, they may give something for the IBS, but they won't let you mix prescribed antidepressants with cannabis. 

At best they will try to convince you not to mix the two, but if you refuse they will still give you anti depressants.  Unless they're proper cunts, but in my experience it's never refused on that basis.

• Like 2

@Ronnie Hotdogs I know the following view is anathema to this forum but how about giving it 3+ month's off? They are professionals after all, perhaps it might help?  Whatever you do, I wish you well.

• Like 1