Should I tell my Dr?

mystic_roots

How many of you tell your Dr that you smoke cannabis to help with a medical condition?

I suffer with anxiety, depression and IBS for the past 13 years or so and if i'm not medicated I literally cannot function. Since smoking cannabis I find it helps me immensley, I feel like a different person but I only smoke in an evening. I'm having some issues be that from my anxiety/depression or if it's my IBS, but I don't know if I should tell my Dr or not since it's illegal, I'm not sure what the reaction or consequences would be as I drive a fairly expensive car and I don't want them to think I sell the stuff.

Comments or experiences?

• Like 1

I would think, if you told them you smoke, they may give something for the IBS, but they won't let you mix prescribed antidepressants with cannabis. 

I've always been open with the health service(GP and hospital doctors/nurses) :)

Whether it's to educate them, 

or just to be sure that there are no contraindications between my medicine and the chemicals they are gonna use on me :D

I took my dab pen in the last time I was in overnight. 

Your doctor has a duty of care to you, 

they are only(theoretically) going to report you if they feel you are at risk of harming yourself or others. 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 3

Depends on the doctor. Most UK doctors are positively misinformed and are likely to diagnose cannabis as the cause of any problems.

• Like 15

18 minutes ago, Bustin Jieber said:

are you driving this expensive car as a black or white person, wish i was joking.

I'm white, but the car does attract a lot of attention so I'm not willing to risk it really as I could loose my license and my job if I get pulled and give a positive sample!

17 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

I would think, if you told them you smoke, they may give something for the IBS, but they won't let you mix prescribed antidepressants with cannabis. 

I take Lansoprazole for my IBS and I'm also on prescirbed antidepresseants so perhaps I should mention it to my Dr next time I call.

11 minutes ago, Simple Jack said:

Depends on the doctor. Most UK doctors are positively misinformed and are likely to diagnose cannabis as the cause of any problems.

I can understand your point but i've only been smoking cannabis for the past 3 years. When I first had these problems I spent a good 2 years being diagnosed as they thought I had Crohn's disease and were actively medicating me for that. A second opinion a few years later and all the tests showed I hadn't got it. I did mention to them about trying CBD oil and they'd never heard of it or knew about it so I had to tell them about it. I did try it for a while but it didn't seem to have any effect for me.

Edited by mystic_roots

My niece told her GP that she had reduced her intake of strong pain killer and anti depressants and substituted these with cannabis instead. GP was fantastic, within a week he had written to the DVLA who in turn acted very quickly in suspending her driving licence.....Took her a year and a clear urine test to get it back. Be careful.

• Like 14

Can’t comment as suppose it depends on what you and your doctors relationship is like. Regarding the car though, poca doesn’t care about race. So make sure everything can be proven beyond any doubt. Isn’t just the doctor who might make assumptions either, only takes on jealous bastard. Hope you get your health issues sorted. 

• Like 2

I do know that some meds do indeed interact with Cannabis. But you can find the info you need online most times..

Specially when it comes to edibles.

Benso's don't do well with edibles and some arthritis meds bind with the same receptors and will stop them from working although who knows which one is better,,:unsure:

telling your doc your med info is between you and them. 

Doctors are no longer doctors when you can't speak to them without worry of any type, harm or repercussion!

• Like 1

i've told doctors in the past when i was having problems with my mental health, one even suggested using it instead of they other stuff i was prescribed.

that was over ten years ago now though, haven't been to the doctors in 7 years i think

• Like 1

i told my wifes nurses and doctor she was using cannabis, all agreed it was benificial to her, i told my doctor i use cannabis and hope its now in my medical record.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Diddy said:

My niece told her GP that she had reduced her intake of strong pain killer and anti depressants and substituted these with cannabis instead. GP was fantastic, within a week he had written to the DVLA who in turn acted very quickly in suspending her driving licence.....Took her a year and a clear urine test to get it back. Be careful.

I hadn't thought of that. You could argue about the Dr/Patient confidentiality although her Dr may think the cannabis could have negative effects and putting other road users at risk. I might hold off on telling her upfront, but depending what results of tests are I may consider it. She's been dealing with me most of my life so knows the issues and struggles i face. I could say i tried some cannabis and found it benificial at the time but not say i still use it.

1 hour ago, stummer said:

Can’t comment as suppose it depends on what you and your doctors relationship is like. Regarding the car though, poca doesn’t care about race. So make sure everything can be proven beyond any doubt. Isn’t just the doctor who might make assumptions either, only takes on jealous bastard. Hope you get your health issues sorted. 

Yes, I'm very protective over my car as it's taken me a long time to save for one and it's rather special to me to the point I have retractable bollards, CCTV and a tracker fitted!

Thanks to everyone's comments, given me some food for thought.

General Medical Council advice to doctors:

If you become aware that a patient is
continuing to drive when they may not be fit to
do so, you should make every reasonable effort
to persuade them to stop. If you do not manage
to persuade the patient to stop driving, or you
discover that they are continuing to drive against
your advice, you should consider whether the
patient’s refusal to stop driving leaves others
exposed to a risk of death or serious harm. If
you believe that it does, you should contact
the DVLA or DVA promptly and disclose any
relevant medical information, in confidence, to
the medical adviser.
10 Before contacting the DVLA or DVA, you should
try to inform the patient of your intention to
disclose personal information. If the patient
objects to the disclosure, you should consider
any reasons they give for objecting. If you decide
to contact the DVLA or DVA, you should tell
your patient in writing once you have done so,
and make a note on the patient’s record.

It is illegal to drive with cannabis in your system and doctors have no choice under the law. That's the way it is, unfortunately.

• Like 3

Don't tell them, there's little to gain and a lot to lose. Do your own research, the information is out there so you'll know as much as the doctors, if not more.

• Like 9