Electricity used for a whole cycle?

Mission Sunset

I'm currently spending over 40 a week on leccy and thats me only running a 96 watt t5 and a few tube heaters to keep a couple of mums alive. I can't afford to grow until the temps pick up, hopefully in March.

Edited by bill cooper
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Grow lady said:

My electric has gone from max £2 a day to £8 or £10 a day its not a cheap hobby with all heaters and equipment needed so £6 x £42 a week and £840 for the 20 week needed full grow 

who are you with? i was moved to ovo and they seem to be charging silly money, i googled the kwh and it comes in a 41 pence!!!

this is insane and i can't operate at those costs, is anyone else with them?

they are sheepish about other information and are apparently closed still for christmas, i'll be moving from them shortly if this is the actual price, seems like a con to me

I quit weed and growing it due to the current price hikes. 

Outside efforts are looking likely for the future tbh, unless a rigged up generating system can be put together that is isolated from the mains supply which in itself costs to put together 

Guest anarchycamp
Just now, Grow lady said:

I have kids cant risk anything doggy qnd wouldn't risk fires 

If you're referring to @botanics he means a separate system probably solar.

Big no no to messing with electricity on UK420:smokin: 

@anarchycamp

:yep:  Or a wind turbine/combined input system etc.  Quite right though, if folks don't know what they're doing with electrics then best off leaving it to those that do.

• Like 2

Has peoples electric really gone up that much? 

Mine has gone from 14 odd pence kWh to 20p kWh..  its added a couple of quid a week to my bill at the moment.

But, I'd rather turn everything else off in the house than the groom..

Brrr, Shudders  and leaves  lol

• Like 5

Great I love growing but when things go wrong its costly cos no decent weed and you have still spent the money on electricity so it's hard but I'm keeping going for now plan autos and hps lights this time cos led don't generate enough heat and heating on 24 hours but thermostat controlled set at 25 degrees I also have twin fan controller and fans on 24 hours a day but a full grow start to finish is about £850 in electric cost alone then if plants hermied like mine you have to start all over inless you grow alot plants at same time electricity cost not worth it for 2 or 3 plants and without all correct equipment etc then I wouldn't even try cos so many things go wrong spider mite foxtailing and hermied seeds and then there's loads more things can happen light breaking fans failing just do the sums correct im on a smart meter and can watch the cost go from £1.50 a day normally for my house goes upto between £8 & £10 a day when really cold and heating on constantly good luck and happy to help if I can in any way at all 

• Like 1

Just now, HazyDaze said:

Has peoples electric really gone up that much? 

Mine has gone from 14 odd pence kWh to 20p kWh..  its added a couple of quid a week to my bill at the moment.

But, I'd rather turn everything else off in the house than the groom..

Brrr, Shudders  and leaves  lol

I have a big set up but scaled-down for now after hermie wiped out my 28 plants I plan just 10 autos in tent now till better weather and hps lights instead of leds 

21 minutes ago, ratdog said:

who are you with? i was moved to ovo and they seem to be charging silly money, i googled the kwh and it comes in a 41 pence!!!

this is insane and i can't operate at those costs, is anyone else with them?

they are sheepish about other information and are apparently closed still for christmas, i'll be moving from them shortly if this is the actual price, seems like a con to me

I'm with British gas and smart meter so can see the jump from 2 to 10 most days its at least £8 so £6 a day min extra 

• Like 1

@Grow lady thanks, i'm considering a smart meter, i have to have the gas one changed any way as it's old and unreliable so might get them both done together

this hike is insane, and i don't have a roof i can put panels on either! grrr..

28 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i googled the kwh and it comes in a 41 pence!!!

We got moved, and this gave me the fear. :eek: 

British gas have named the tariff we're on after the provider we had that went bust, it seems, but have raised it by 3rd... bit cheeky that, cos it's made out like they just carried on the same until you dig in. Still... yeah, your lot are cunts.

Was 15.7 - now 21.1p /kWh.

So, looking like 30-something pence come spring, on the average of potential raise incoming I've seen. *sigh.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t

Just now, HazyDaze said:

Mine has gone from 14 odd pence kWh to 20p kWh

That's almost a 33% increase mate and makes a huge difference when you're already up to the limits.   For what it's worth, my electricity costs haven't increased but only because I've cut the costs down and the growing had to be incorporated into that.  The washing machine runs on cooler temps now (just buy Ariel instead).  The dishwasher has become an ornament lol, no dryer either and lighting changed to LED all around.

Heating is gas and that also went down a degree on the thermostat to offset the price increase.   There's only so much savings that can be made though and the increases will crease folks in the next few months. 

• Like 1

Just now, j.o.i.n.t said:

Still... yeah, your lot are cunts.

i can't get hold of anyone to find out atm, and the website has conveniently suggested that they can't get my cost for kw/h as i just tried again, double cunts!