Will decomposing fish remains heat up the soil or harm my plants?

Phillybonker

7 hours ago, Cajafiesta said:

As others have said, though, any scavenging critters will absolutely try to dig it up.  Opossum, Armadillo, Raccoon, Dogs, Cats ( wild, feral, domesticated) Foxes, Coyotes etc.  If you have any of those ( Especially fucking Armadillo.  They are sons of bitches) you're gonna want to prevent access to the root area.   

We've even had Armadillo dig up dope plants due to the soil having earth worm castings added to it.  They love worms. 

Ain't no Armadillo's where I'm at but there are rats, hopefully a bait station will sort em out.

It definitely works, and works well.  It's pretty well known folklore here in the US.  The "Indians" (Native Americans, Natives, pick your PC term) allegedly taught the "pilgrims" how to cultivate maize (corn) using fish as the primary fertilizer.  Bury a fish or some fish heads below the plant/seedling/seed.  Let it do it's thing.  I grew up on property with a fish pond.  My stepdad would regularly bury small fish under tomato plants.  It works quite well. 

We call them American Indians where I'm from.  If I just said "Indians", in my country everyone will think I'm talking about Indians from India.  If I said native Americans, half of everyone will think I'm talking about anyone born in America. 

Anyway, yes I've read about American Indians using fish fertilizer as their go-to and I will follow their lead.

5 hours ago, DutchFox said:

fresh fish contains blood and bones

blood is N

Bones is P

so its missong K...in your NPK ......

Moles frequently enter my plantholes....and yes they dont harm.....they look for and eat the worms....so if they visit me....i know the planthole is perfect :) 

moles make holes and drain the soil.... :) 

Don't let em eat too many or you're going to have to buy your wormcasting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phillybonker said:

Don't let em eat too many or you're going to have to buy your wormcasting.

dont worry....nature regulates this....1 mole can never eat them all :)  

for guerilla i never buy wormcastings....i just feed them dried ( not fresh !!  ) chickenmanure...and they multiply like rabbits :) 

worms...your best workers....in guerilla :) 

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 1