Will decomposing fish remains heat up the soil or harm my plants?

Phillybonker

@blackpoolbouncer lol well that's cleared that up. I have to say veganism has never made sense to me, how is a plants life worth more than an animal? And do they not realise we use manure and insecticides to produce fruit and veg? Then there's the twat eating a south American Avocado while they tell me how bad for the environment my local grass fed steak is lol. To me it just shows how disconnected people have become from where food comes from. Hats of to people for trying, just seems misguided to me. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

And do they not realise we use manure and insecticides to produce fruit and veg?

Technically veg that has manure in isn't vegan because its an animal by product. Same as fish head of bone meal.

Which is fucking daft that you can't use the shit from a cow yet there millions of little critters shitting away in soil. It makes no sense.

Don't want to harm creatures.........good luck putting a spade in the ground 

• Like 1

Just now, blackpoolbouncer said:

Technically veg that has manure in isn't vegan because its an animal by product. Same as fish head of bone meal.

And the look on people's faces when I explain thats how 99% of supermarket veg is grown is priceless lol

• Like 1

The majority of veg and salads you can buy here in Ireland, especially out of season, are imported from Dutchland. And the majority of them are grown hydro in greenhouses. So I guess I'm more vegan than I thought.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Don't know what it's like where you are but be careful you don't attract something that will dig it up because of the smell like foxes.

Whenever I lose an animal on the farm that doesn't have to be destroyed gets buried under a tree that means something or next to a fruit tree. 

Don't be going chucking buckets in each hole. A fish is a powerful fertiliser 

The victorians said you should kill a pig for the grape vine.

In my grow area only rats are expected, I'll dig decent holes.

I was going to load up my spots good with fish remains but didn't know I could over do it.  The fish remains will be going between plants that are going to be planted 3 metres apart.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Luckily NZ doesn't have any native mammals, and the government are pretty hell bent on killing off the non natives. They literally drop poison from helicopters, which sparks differing opinions, but is generally considered a necessary evil, you see signs warning not to let dogs off the lead when they've done a drop. Even the school kids are out trapping possums lol. They're really trying hard to undo the damage done, they even check all your luggage for muddy boots/seeds/banana peels. 

Possums are the biggest pest threat to cannabis plants here.  My plants will be all caged until they grow to one metre tall.

Only areas that are 100% free of possums are where the Government have done poison drops and unfortunately that doesn't include my grow area.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 21-10-2021 at 0:20 AM, Phillybonker said:

That's a good trick!

Growing season and fishing season happen at the same time here, so for the next 5 or so months my planting spots are going to get a lot of fish remains.  

as you have all the time to prep....and dig holes....i would....

do the fish in the bottom of the hole...

if you dig a hole example  50x50x50 cm....is 125 liter

mix with 1 thea cup of dried chicken manure per 10 liter soil mix. ( no more...no less...mix well )

so in this case 12.5 teacups 

and let the nature do the work....manure will trigger gound life and attrackt and multiply worms....and will make a perfect hole for your plant !!!

in next year...just top dress 50% of dried chickenmanure in jan/feb....so in this case 6.25 teacup.

dried chicken manure has 4/3/3 NPK

10% of weight is calcium

has all micro elements for your plant.

good luck !

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 1

I remember seeing a side by side grow of tomatoes using fish heads with and without. The plant with the fish head grew slower to begin with (probably in part to the fish head being freshly buried) But as the season went on the one with the fish head took over once it broke down a bit and kept producing tomatoes way later into the season vs the one without the fish

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MindSoup said:

@DutchFox he's in New Zealand mate.

ahh yes....organics need time to decompose......

for late made plots i use slow release ( 3 or 6 months )  chem verts...grow and or bloom variants.....in the first year...after that organics...since its so much more simple and good... :) and also more cheap

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 11:11 PM, DutchFox said:

as you have all the time to prep....and dig holes....i would....

do the fish in the bottom of the hole...

if you dig a hole example  50x50x50 cm....is 125 liter

mix with 1 thea cup of dried chicken manure per 10 liter soil mix. ( no more...no less...mix well )

so in this case 12.5 teacups 

and let the nature do the work....manure will trigger gound life and attrackt and multiply worms....and will make a perfect hole for your plant !!!

in next year...just top dress 50% of dried chickenmanure in jan/feb....so in this case 6.25 teacup.

dried chicken manure has 4/3/3 NPK

10% of weight is calcium

has all micro elements for your plant.

good luck !

That's something I can try next grow season.  Fish and chicken manure is something I wanted to try this grow but unfortunately ran out of time. 

• Like 1

It definitely works, and works well.  It's pretty well known folklore here in the US.  The "Indians" (Native Americans, Natives, pick your PC term) allegedly taught the "pilgrims" how to cultivate maize (corn) using fish as the primary fertilizer.  Bury a fish or some fish heads below the plant/seedling/seed.  Let it do it's thing.  I grew up on property with a fish pond.  My stepdad would regularly bury small fish under tomato plants.  It works quite well. 

As others have said, though, any scavenging critters will absolutely try to dig it up.  Opossum, Armadillo, Raccoon, Dogs, Cats ( wild, feral, domesticated) Foxes, Coyotes etc.  If you have any of those ( Especially fucking Armadillo.  They are sons of bitches) you're gonna want to prevent access to the root area.   

We've even had Armadillo dig up dope plants due to the soil having earth worm castings added to it.  They love worms. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cajafiesta said:

It definitely works, and works well.  It's pretty well known folklore here in the US.  The "Indians" (Native Americans, Natives, pick your PC term) allegedly taught the "pilgrims" how to cultivate maize (corn) using fish as the primary fertilizer.  Bury a fish or some fish heads below the plant/seedling/seed.  Let it do it's thing.  I grew up on property with a fish pond.  My stepdad would regularly bury small fish under tomato plants.  It works quite well. 

As others have said, though, any scavenging critters will absolutely try to dig it up.  Opossum, Armadillo, Raccoon, Dogs, Cats ( wild, feral, domesticated) Foxes, Coyotes etc.  If you have any of those ( Especially fucking Armadillo.  They are sons of bitches) you're gonna want to prevent access to the root area.   

We've even had Armadillo dig up dope plants due to the soil having earth worm castings added to it.  They love worms. 

fresh fish contains blood and bones

blood is N

Bones is P

so its missong K...in your NPK ......

Moles frequently enter my plantholes....and yes they dont harm.....they look for and eat the worms....so if they visit me....i know the planthole is perfect :) 

moles make holes and drain the soil.... :) 

36 minutes ago, DutchFox said:

fresh fish contains blood and bones

blood is N

Bones is P

so its missong K...in your NPK ......

I found this table earlier in the day and thought it may be if interest :stoned: 

The Table

The carbohydrate, fiber, and sugar columns are eliminated from the table, since the values for these components in fish are all zero. Since most of us eat about 3 1/2 oz as a serving, the amount of potassium we would get at a meal would be the amount that is recorded in the listings.

The weights for the potassium and sodium are milligrams. The potassium and sodium values given are for 100 grams (about 3 1/2 oz) of food.

As usual, K is potassium, and Na is sodium.

Except for the potassium to sodium ratio (which we calculated), the source of data is: USDA National Nutrient Database Standard Reference – Release 22

Food K Na Ratio
K:Na
ANCHOVY, EUROPEAN 383 104 3.7
BASS, FRESHWATER 456 90 5.1
BASS, STRIPED 256 69 3.7
BLUEFISH 372 60 6.2
BURBOT 404 97 4.2
BUTTERFISH 375 89 4.2
CARP 333 49 6.8
CATFISH, CHANNEL, FARMED 299 53 5.6
CATFISH, CHANNEL, WILD 358 43 8.3
CISCO 354 55 6.4