Will decomposing fish remains heat up the soil or harm my plants?

Phillybonker

I do a bit of fishing and I was thinking of burying any fish remains where my plants will be.  I'll already be using blood & bone on my plants but I thought I might as well bury my fish remains where my plants are.  My question is; will the decomposing fish remains heat up the soil or effect the plants?  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Proper old school trick, stick them right at the bottom of you're planting holes, works well IME.

correct

in holland in fishing places on the coast...the dunes are sand...

for hudreds of year...the remains of fish were burried in the dunes to vertilize the sand soil....with succes...they could make some veggies and patatoes....

im talking ablout the times before chemical vertilisers were invented and used.

All You Need to Know About Fish Fertilizer (pennington.com)

fish has blood and bone meal...  :)

Fish·Mix - Biobizz

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 1

Just now, DutchFox said:

correct

in holland in fishing places on the coast...the dunes are sand...

for hudreds of year...the remains of fish were burried in the dunes to vertilize the sand soil....with succes...they could make some veggies and patatoes....

im talking ablout the times before chemical vertilisers were invented and used.

All You Need to Know About Fish Fertilizer (pennington.com)

:thumsup:

But seriously,my grandad swore by it.

• Like 1

Just now, Rhubarb & Flustered said:

:thumsup:

But seriously,my grandad swore by it.

ofcourse :)   did he burry also his dead cat in the garden..... ?.. :) 

corpses are great vertilisers :):) 

mind you....human corpses in forrest soil are also found by watching the plants who grow on them....nettles are way bigger there...police and forrensic LE know this....naturally  :) 

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Proper old school trick, stick them right at the bottom of you're planting holes, works well IME.

That's a good trick!

Growing season and fishing season happen at the same time here, so for the next 5 or so months my planting spots are going to get a lot of fish remains.  

• Like 2

Don't know what it's like where you are but be careful you don't attract something that will dig it up because of the smell like foxes.

Whenever I lose an animal on the farm that doesn't have to be destroyed gets buried under a tree that means something or next to a fruit tree. 

Don't be going chucking buckets in each hole. A fish is a powerful fertiliser 

The victorians said you should kill a pig for the grape vine.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Don't know what it's like where you are but be careful you don't attract something that will dig it up because of the smell like foxes.

When I was a kid we had a cat that got splatted, my old man didn't bury him deep enough and literally within hours there was a dog wandered in the garden dug it up and proceeded to shake the bag the cats bits were in like a rag doll sending bits all over the place my old man chased him up the street wearing one slipper with the other raised above his head lol 

"I told you you didn't bury him deep enough" *WHAM* I got the slipper across the face and was told to dig a deeper hole :ouch:

• Like 6

Luckily NZ doesn't have any native mammals, and the government are pretty hell bent on killing off the non natives. They literally drop poison from helicopters, which sparks differing opinions, but is generally considered a necessary evil, you see signs warning not to let dogs off the lead when they've done a drop. Even the school kids are out trapping possums lol. They're really trying hard to undo the damage done, they even check all your luggage for muddy boots/seeds/banana peels. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

NZ doesn't have any native mammals

no sqwerzzles or elepharoo’s ?  not even a wazztingler :unsure:lol  

• Like 3

Just now, twigs said:

no sqwerzzles or elepharoo’s ?  not even a wazztingler :unsure:lol  

Not even a single Haggis lol

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 4

@Absurdist I've heard a few things like that, a lot of the Veganic growers swear you can taste when something has been grown with animal products, it's not something I've ever noticed after decades of growing with fish blood & bone, but I'm a dirty corpse muncher so I'm probably desensitised to it. 

• Like 1

Those veganic growers are talking shit. Literally. 

If your growing in soil you're growing in death. Simples. Its how soil works. 

Doesn't matter if its a fish or a thousand worms. 

The only vegan veg is hydro. Fact.

• Like 12