Silica products

DastardlyDick

Silica is great once your finished training ie bending branches etc and then they will be more solid so helps later on in flower. Just make sure and add it to your water first then bring the ph back down to 7 then add your nutrients and adjust ph again if needed.

Toke...

• Like 2

Silicone is silicone really, much of a muchness from brand to brand.. 

Just use sparingly and preferably after training is complete as toke said.  

Be sure to drop it before getting to mid flower.  Personally I'd avoid using in flower at all tbh but definitely drop once the stretch is over for sure.

:yinyang:

• Like 5

Dont use them......Just use any potassium silicate and factor in the extra K if you want more silicon.

(it has to go in b4 nutes and with care)

PH down the water first (same amount you would usually need to do so after nutes are added)....then add the potassium silicate slowly

Then continue to add nutes as normal.

Start in veg and stop using at start of P2 of flower :yep:

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DastardlyDick said:

Hi, looking for some advice on using silicon for my plants, has anyone used biogreen xforce? Or have any recommendations 

yes used it for few grows after getting free bees the price it bloody stupid on the bio green stuff used many different makes and nothing in it and in fact last two grows iv not used any silica no difference at all so iv ditched using it all together now. A fool and his money is easily parted!!!

TS

Edited by Sinnerman
  • Like 1

@DastardlyDick You can use "mono" silicon instead, its suspended in alcohol and is pH neutral so no mucking about there. There is a brand called "Grow Genius" that make the one I'm using.

I tried both the Plant Magic and the Vitalink stuff (Potassium Silicate I think) and as my water pH from the tap is 8.1 they both precipitated immediately. If you see a cloudy precipitate when adding your silicon then it just dropped out of solution and is useless to the plants. I had to add my nutes first and then pH down and then add the Silicon and then more pH down - bloody nightmare.

Now I just add the mono and that's it job done.

One Tree sell it

Edited by DeltaMelter
speeling errorrs

2 hours ago, DeltaMelter said:

@DastardlyDick You can use "mono" silicon instead, its suspended in alcohol and is pH neutral so no mucking about there. There is a brand called "Grow Genius" that make the one I'm using.

I tried both the Plant Magic and the Vitalink stuff (Potassium Silicate I think) and as my water pH from the tap is 8.1 they both precipitated immediately. If you see a cloudy precipitate when adding your silicon then it just dropped out of solution and is useless to the plants. I had to add my nutes first and then pH down and then add the Silicon and then more pH down - bloody nightmare.

Now I just add the mono and that's it job done.

One Tree sell it

Silicate is indeed a nightmare and requires pre-acidifying the water if you have hard water to avoid it dropping out into a gel. Having finally mastered the stuff and observed no visible benefit, I feel it is just adding to the ec count for nothing... it is better to either have a lower ec or use the extra ec for normal nutes. imo of course. It did nothing for reducing mould either, which is supposed to be one of its benefits.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

Im in on the “ive used it and can’t be arsed with it anymore either” waggon.

i used vitalink too and it does nothing for me. I use nets so the branches are always supported so they don’t need to be strong. They act more like a pipe feeding the bud than a supporting structure.

i agree with the “why add more to your solution” comment from @catweazle1. If your plants can take a higher ec maybe go for a root stimulant instead as having stronger roots will create a stronger plant anyway. Solid foundations an all that. Something more beneficial to the grow.

maybe it’s worth it if you are a commercial grower doing sativa leaning plants without support. Just letting the grow naturally but for a home grower a wooden stake does the same job essentially.

I have used Plant magic, and bloom yellow.

I preferred the Plant magic. 

Seemed to bring more visible plant strength, and both were used on 3 grows each.

I have heard VERY good things about Mills product, but its way too expensive for me to try myself. 

5 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

Silicate is indeed a nightmare and requires pre-acidifying the water if you have hard water to avoid it dropping out into a gel. Having finally mastered the stuff and observed no visible benefit, I feel it is just adding to the ec count for nothing... it is better to either have a lower ec or use the extra ec for normal nutes. imo of course. It did nothing for reducing mould either, which is supposed to be one of its benefits.

I found it really easy to use to be honest.

I just wrote down the ratio of PH down per bucket needed, and added Silica and PH down, and it was down to my required range without even having to think about it.

I really do notice a difference in the strength of the branches when I use it.

Its one of the few add ons where I can see improvements on my plants.

I wouldn't go without it these days.

I use until week 4 of flower. 

Mills Nutrients - Vitalize was the one.

Couldn't think of the name before.

Apparently an amazing product, but not one I'm prepared to fork out on myself

• Like 1

On 17/10/2021 at 1:39 PM, DeltaMelter said:

Do not use the GG in RDWC !!!!!!

lol turned my tank into a bubble bath lollollollol 

I contacted the maker and he suggested neutralising it with hand bar soap..,...tbf I didn't try it)

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Moonstone420 said:

Mills Nutrients - Vitalize was the one.

Couldn't think of the name before.

Apparently an amazing product, but not one I'm prepared to fork out on myself

Me and @catweazle1 went into great length as to why we think they are point blank selling snake oil in another thread. 

https://manicbotanix.com/silica-additive-quality/ 

I disagree with him tho on silicon in general.....I think it makes a huge difference but I very much respect and value his opinion. 

• Like 1