Attic Grow - First Timer

RonSwanson69

Hey Everyone,

I'm completely new to growing and looking into the viability of a setup in my loft - obviously still at the early planning stage, any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.

So, a wee bit more info... I live in a 2-story end terrace - as I said above I'm looking to set up in my attic (photos below) - I'm laying flooring this weekend (no, no tthe flooring you can see in the picture haha), and will also be tackling getting power up there at the same time - right now my plan is to drill a hole up from the bedroom below and draw power from a socket in there... (It's a spare bedroom, so will rarely have other electrical stuff in use)

large.615352fec8c6f_attic2.jpglarge.615352fe27e66_attic1.jpg

The floor space I can use is 2.5m x 3.3m - I don't think height is ideal, as the height to the bottom of the beams is only 1.485m. We're going to look into having these raised, but not for the forseeable future.

My plan was to build a 2mx2mx1.45m tent using PVC piping and mylar.

From what I've read here, LED lights seem to be the way to go for me - I'm not sure how much light I would require for the tent size I mentioned, nor am I sure how may plants could viably fit either - any info here would be great. I would imagine the strain plays a part here, so here's what I was planning on going for - SPAM

Thanks for any and all help, and if there's any important info I've left out let me know - I've either forgot or wasn't aware it was even a thing :fart:

Ron

Edited by Owderb
Link removed
  • Like 1

Welcome to the group and good luck in your endeavour.....I would suggest reading / following @Serpent 's guide in the 'Autoflower' subsection of the forum. Sorry I cant offer any advice regarding your set up, I'm only 1 grow ahead of you and there's far more experienced growers on here that will no doubt offer some great advice :smokin:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5Lip said:

Welcome to the group and good luck in your endeavour.....I would suggest reading / following @Serpent 's guide in the 'Autoflower' subsection of the forum. Sorry I cant offer any advice regarding your set up, I'm only 1 grow ahead of you and there's far more experienced growers on here that will no doubt offer some great advice :smokin:

Great, thanks for the suggestion!! I'll have a look now :)

Hey Ron 

Thats a good amount of space. Shame about the low ceiling but its still a perfectly workable height, with a bit of training or going see of green style you'll be sweet. The tent idea is pretty cool, but your likely going to have some extreme temperatures up there, so some insulation is a good idea, people often use Celotex with a wooden frame for that reason. Try and find somewhere to intake from a room in the house where it will be warmer in winter and cooler in summer. 

2x2 is a big floor space, you could happily have a veg and flower space in that, which is something most people quickly realise the would like after they start growing, so something else to have a think about. 

LEDs are a really good option, our site sponsors will give you the best deal on some quality lights @Ledgrowlights-Adam is your man. Same as seeds man, pick a site sponsor, or subscribing for some seeds, there's a lot of scammers out there with sub par genetics. I couldn't recommend real gorilla seeds highly enough. @panik

• Like 3

Just now, MindSoup said:

Hey Ron 

Thats a good amount of space. Shame about the low ceiling but its still a perfectly workable height, with a bit of training or going see of green style you'll be sweet. The tent idea is pretty cool, but your likely going to have some extreme temperatures up there, so some insulation is a good idea, people often use Celotex with a wooden frame for that reason. Try and find somewhere to intake from a room in the house where it will be warmer in winter and cooler in summer. 

2x2 is a big floor space, you could happily have a veg and flower space in that, which is something most people quickly realise the would like after they start growing, so something else to have a think about. 

LEDs are a really good option, our site sponsors will give you the best deal on some quality lights @Ledgrowlights-Adam is your man. Same as seeds man, pick a site sponsor, or subscribing for some seeds, there's a lot of scammers out there with sub par genetics. I couldn't recommend real gorilla seeds highly enough. @panik

Hey, thanks for the response!

That's a really good point regarding temperatures - I'll need to look into itt a bit more as I hadn't thought of that too much!

Also a good point RE site sponsors - I'll check them out now - nothing like a bit of window (internet) shopping anyway :hippy:

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Just now, Shumroom said:

If you're just beginning to grow, 

then I'd recommend that you get some photoperiod seeds. 

Autos are not as easy as a lot of seedbanks make out. 

Agree that you should check out site sponsor @Ledgrowlights-Adam and @ledgrowlights-Craig

there's a link for them at the top of the page :D

Atb 

:yinyang:

Hey there, thanks for the suggestion - I was actually watching a video earlier that advised the same as it means I'd have control over when to swtich to flowering, yeah?

• Like 1

Yup :cheers:

Also if you're looking for seeds, 

the Attitude seedbank offers 10% off at the checkout when you enter the code "420"

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

I doubt you'd need 2m Square, if you don't use all of it you'll have more height I assume? 1.45m isn't the end of the world though. 

Have you worked out if you can get the extracted air out? 

Intake would be fine from the room you're getting your power. 

• Like 1

You could try a couple of slimline Telos between the rafters and the extraction system above that.

Four uprights in each corner screwed to the rafters, and wrap the lot in 2*10 mylar sheet (Cheap Amazon stuff).

Same sort of thing I did for my first grow, not that long ago.

• Like 1

Just now, KC said:

I doubt you'd need 2m Square, if you don't use all of it you'll have more height I assume? 1.45m isn't the end of the world though. 

Have you worked out if you can get the extracted air out? 

Intake would be fine from the room you're getting your power. 

Hey there, unfortunately not - The entire attic has support beams at 1.485m, so i'm locked at that height regardless of the floor space I use.

As for extracting, there's a little window I was going to use, although as I'm typing this, that seems like it's maybe a bit sketchy?

• Like 1

Just now, NathanW said:

You could try a couple of slimline Telos between the rafters and the extraction system above that.

Four uprights in each corner screwed to the rafters, and wrap the lot in 2*10 mylar sheet (Cheap Amazon stuff).

Same sort of thing I did for my first grow, not that long ago.

Hey there, that's interesting - i had considered utilising the rafters in some way, but worried it would be outwith my skillset as I'm not super experienced with DIY... maybe I need to just nut up since it would allow for more grow space...

Just now, KC said:

If the window is open in the middle of winter I imagine it would look a bit dodgy :ouch:

I was thinking taking the window off completely and replacing it with some kind of panel... could even make it look window-esque if I wasn't horrific at art? But yeah, the window being open would be strange going into October haha

• Like 1