Potting up- Why?

Cajafiesta

Think I’ve had the same issues as op due to not putting up. But I still refuse to due to laziness.

On 18/09/2021 at 0:34 PM, blackpoolbouncer said:

Because the plant isn't removing moisture from the unrooted compost this quickly become anaerobic and sour. Leading to further issues such as affecting uptake of nutrient, ph of media etc.

Would the worms and cover crop negate this?

It "shouldnt" be an issue in a well managed no till pot that has an eatablished structure.

If its first run then yes be careful. If its soil you have built yourself. 

See my no till mix is 30% biochar so overwatering even from the get go isn't an issue even in huge 70l pots.

@B0bbyBuds

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

my no till mix is 30% biochar

Nice, did you make it yourself? I’d want to add more in my mixes in the future but it can get quite expensive. Especially as I haven’t been able to use my pots long term. 

• Like 1

Definitely an American thing to go straight in to 5 gallons, it's why they rely on perlite so much, to dig their ass out of an avoidable situation lol they never learn, perlite, vietnam, afghanistan... :D 

• Like 15

5 hours ago, B0bbyBuds said:

Nice, did you make it yourself? I’d want to add more in my mixes in the future but it can get quite expensive. Especially as I haven’t been able to use my pots long term. 

I do indeed. Everything apart from a few dry ammendments my not till mix is made by my own fine hand 

• Like 1

On 18/09/2021 at 1:12 PM, mister phlegm said:

I have roughly se same pot size, sounds like a roughly equivalent veg period (?) but grow autos. I hope you don't mind me using your grow as a comparison.

I usually pot into finals because I am lazy and the final pot size is small enough to get away with it, but it feels like some of the advantages of potting up should carry over to autos. I'm quite happy accepting potting up is better :) but I don't get the difference between (roughly) our grows where you pot up three times and I don't pot up once and how it relates to auto vs photo. I know very little about photoperiod growing so I am probably missing something simple.

ups @Cajafiesta if you've been banging out harvests on the reg you must be doing something right. Improving is good but don't knock what you've already done, you have a base to work from and growing is only ever as competitive as you want it to be.

I've just ordered some Rhizo Prop pots to use with my autos,I think I'm going to use the 1L (also have 2L coing) and with plant into them after my jiffys & then into 6.5L,I was going to buy bigger pots but didn't see the point as I used to get good results with the pots I have.The main reason for not potting up autos is because you won't disturb the root ball and stall it or maybe I dreamt that :hippy:

I have all the stages up to the 6.5s but am going to go bigger next time I grow regs but that's just because I'm lazy and fewer plants equals less work

i take cuttings and start them in 11 litre pots of coco :yep: potting up imho stunts the dope + actually hinders growth. :beer:

Edited by thekingofobsolete

6 hours ago, thekingofobsolete said:

potting up imho stunts the dope + actually hinders growth. :beer:

Then your doing it wrong Bach! 

If they don't grow uninterrupted you've either potted on at the wrong time or you've been a heavy handed oaf lol

• Like 9

16 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Then your doing it wrong Bach! 

If they don't grow uninterrupted you've either potted on at the wrong time or you've been a heavy handed oaf lol

There's always 1 that puffs his chest up to me.....:skin_up:  look here bach sit back relax and watch my diary ewe mite learn summit,I will have these pair in 11 litre of coco  from these pots by Sunday god bless ewe :hippy:

large.20210923_210017_copy_900x2000.jpg

Ugorg cookies,and now I get serious pmsl....uncle dewi is doing doughnuts beyond his grave god bless him.... hehehehe 

• Like 1

lol there's always one lol

Nobody said you can't grow dope without skipping potting up. 

Is it best practice......no. woukd your rootballs be more resilient and productive if you added a intermediate stage in between starters and finals.........yes.

Fwiw mucker I'm growing in living soil. I go straight from starters to 70l pots and root them out in a week. Next grow they will be going straight in a 1200l bed

This advice is mostly for novices though and for compost, which your not growing in so your experience of potting up with coco is not really applicable. Telling novice growers not to pot up in stages in compost is bad advice whether you do it in coco is irrelevant.

Coco has different properties and is less prone to overwatering but you already knew that because your not wet behind the ears and uncle Dewi probably told you that 

No chest puffing. Just giving good advice and making sure noobs don't go following yours and putting tiny seedlings into 11l pots of piss wet through compost and killing there plants with rotten roots.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, thekingofobsolete said:

There's always 1 that puffs his chest up to me....

Wonder why that is, other than sounding thick as a bowl of custard?

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 4:09 PM, EarLobe said:

@Cajafiesta sorry if you're not Spanish but this made me laugh. Kind of hard to comment on English synonyms when Spains make no sense at all lol

https://youtube.com/shorts/4PgynBNDY0w?feature=share

I am 100% not Spanish, but the video is true.  Took several years of Spanish, forgot more than I remember, but I can still get myself food, find a bathroom, insult someone's mother and count to denominations required to conduct purchases.  So there's that...  

The literal translation of stuff be like this, though.  Tons of it in English, too.  

On 24/09/2021 at 7:15 AM, blackpoolbouncer said:

lol there's always one lol

Nobody said you can't grow dope without skipping potting up. 

Is it best practice......no. woukd your rootballs be more resilient and productive if you added a intermediate stage in between starters and finals.........yes.

Fwiw mucker I'm growing in living soil. I go straight from starters to 70l pots and root them out in a week. Next grow they will be going straight in a 1200l bed

This advice is mostly for novices though and for compost, which your not growing in so your experience of potting up with coco is not really applicable. Telling novice growers not to pot up in stages in compost is bad advice whether you do it in coco is irrelevant.

Coco has different properties and is less prone to overwatering but you already knew that because your not wet behind the ears and uncle Dewi probably told you that 

No chest puffing. Just giving good advice and making sure noobs don't go following yours and putting tiny seedlings into 11l pots of piss wet through compost and killing there plants with rotten roots.

i find it best practice to set a root and let it grow out undisrurbed :yep: uncle dewi alway told me when ya set a root on canna ya dont really wanna potch with it see,same with a seed i always start them in final pots it gives the buggers the best start see unretricted root growth to that tender tap root,now then please excuse me im not here for shitfests or any shite im here to grow my dope. :beer:

On 24/09/2021 at 9:05 AM, Exhale said:

Wonder why that is, other than sounding thick as a bowl of custard?

hehehehe......... lol

1pm today i potted this here elite cookie cutting which as had it ruff and is awaiting a medium drench of neem oil as shes got a few root aphids in her 1/4 litre pot,i potted her from the 1/4 litre straight into 11 litre pot + stuffed her under 600 watts of HID  dual spec full melt  + uncle dewi rite now will be doing doughnuts in his grave bach,trust me i got this :beer:

large.Screenshot_20210926-134803_Gallery.jpglarge.Screenshot_20210926-133916_Gallery.jpglarge.Screenshot_20210926-134951_Gallery.jpglarge.20210926_220926_copy_900x2000.jpg

you do it your way bach i`ll do it my wayyyyyyyyyyy :smokin:

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 2