Trimming

Boojum

@nigelpotter Ill agree on the terps from fresh frozen but thats about all mate.  Im not about to compromise bud qaulity over trim and I find fresh bud/resin or wet cut scissor hash premature. The high dont feel right to me.

• Like 1

I normally sit in the pissing rain on my trusty trimming stool ....like a little gnome :)      

I always take a branch whole , a quick trim of largest fans then hung for a few wks before removing all nuggets from the stems, normally with music on & the help of bass cat :)   

Its amazing how quick the time can pass when trimming the life out of a few plants !!   No stalks or chaff in the jars... only nice nugs.  

Anything lower than grade A gets dumped into a jar for conversion / cooking at a later stage.   

I got to admit i find trimming therapeutic,    I even have a trimming music playlist :yep:

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Kickstand said:

Im not about to compromise bud quality over trim and I find fresh bud/resin or wet cut scissor hash premature. The high don't feel right to me.

what quality do you feel you are loosing? (don't see this as a challenge to what you are saying) Do you see a discernible difference in the high?  Would be interesting to hear folks take on this. I have compared dry and wet trimmed bud from the same crop and done A/B tests with buddies and feedback was overwhelmingly "its the same" and folks that did choose it was pretty much 50/50. I personally did not see/feel a difference other than the wet trimmed had more trichomes on the outer bud than dry trim as more trichomes are removed from dry trimming.

There is an overwhelming consensus, certainly within the U.S. industry (and here), that whole plant hung for 2/3 weeks and then dry trim is the way to go. 

I had a buddy who went further than the above and would not even chop the plant but let it die still in the pot, took an age to dry but he swore it made for some narcotic weed, never got try any though :sadwalk:

Only plus i can see wet wet trimming over dry is the trichs aren't falling off by the thousands  in  comparison to a dry trim . 

And that gooey sticky scissor hash build up..  :bong:

Give me a 5 minute harvest Job and getting back to it at a later drier date any time though. lol

Edited by HazyDaze
  • Like 1

Another top dry trimming tip: I trim over a screen printing frame. Simply place it on a smooth surface to aid collection later.  Simply let any trim fall onto the screen and collect it all up with a card when your screen starts to get too full. Any resin heads that fall are collected at the end of the trim session and are then added to my dry sift jar. The screens are cheap enough and I use mine for making dry sift anyway.

Here's a picture of what I ended up with at the end of my last trim session:

large.IMG_09092021_190325_(2000_x_1500_pixel).jpg

That pile is sitting on a USPCC poker card for an idea of scale.

• Like 5

Guest Donnyronny

I use something similar albeit a mass produced one I won on Instagram, it’s called a trim bin or something like that, the labels worn off now. 

it gives me a nice bit of hash every week or two when I’m trimming up plants, I just powder the sugar trim and sift it thru. 

you could make one for a tenner I bet. 

On 09/09/2021 at 8:18 PM, Donnyronny said:

I just powder the sugar trim and sift it thru. 

Surely only going to lead to hash with loads of leaf powder mixed in. For best hash/ice hash you need to be as gentle as possible to simply encourage the trichomes to detach without any plant material.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/09/2021 at 10:31 PM, Slippy One said:

Big fan of dry trimming here too. Cut into foot long stalks. Hung for 2 weeks, then trimmed up using various expensive snips in a jar of ISO to unstick them after gunking up. Radio on in the background, TrimBin helps. I'm currently researching that controversial dry trim bag thing to save time with the big flowers. About 40% of the harvest is trimmed for vaping, the rest is dried Moroccan style and smooshed over the screens to make hash for capsules. :yep:

Dry is best but it's a personal choice, making dry sift is fun too. Bubble was too cumbersome and messy. lol

large.IMG_6395.JPG

Hmmm, any more info on the capsules you produce?

• Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 7:21 PM, NezA said:

Another top dry trimming tip: I trim over a screen printing frame. Simply place it on a smooth surface to aid collection later.  Simply let any trim fall onto the screen and collect it all up with a card when your screen starts to get too full. Any resin heads that fall are collected at the end of the trim session and are then added to my dry sift jar. The screens are cheap enough and I use mine for making dry sift anyway.

Here's a picture of what I ended up with at the end of my last trim session:

large.IMG_09092021_190325_(2000_x_1500_pixel).jpg

That pile is sitting on a USPCC poker card for an idea of scale.

That's what i do too:yep:, Then stick the trim into a sandwich bag and put it in the freezer until i can be arsed to run it through the printing scrrens again at a later date.

I still got the Chelato and Northern Lights trim in my freezer come to think of it lol

• Like 1

Fan leaves still have something to give, cannabutter :)

So much goes to waste, the big pot boiling water cannabutter method get so much goodness out of a load of useless shite.

• Like 1