Cal & Mag

MindSoup

Just now, bill cooper said:

It looks like calcium def to me.

which he has plenty of but calcium requires magnesium as I understand it so with no mag you see a cal def?

• Like 6

@EarLobe how does ppm equate to mg/L I keep seeing them being interchanged and it's confusing me. From what I can see to balance the water out would need another 47mg/L. 

@MindSoup i was just thinking how high the calcium is mate and was wondering what the total ppm of your tap water is before you add anything? Wondering if you've got a massive build up of alkaline in the soil?

Ppm=mg=%

*A 7% solution in 1L (1000ml). 0.1ml per L for 7PPM or 7mg

Sorry I went with 7 as that's what mono magnesium is.

@Oldbear

Edited by EarLobe
* I'm going to find someone who could explain it better!
  • Like 1

i can't see any rust spots, mine usually start with lots of little rust spots then die back starts if i don't add calmag, that's why i just add a small amount all the time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Tell you what I im tired of, smarmy comments that just tell people they're wrong and offer no insight lol.

Firstly it was a general comment because we see these threads all the time, and its 99% the same solution to the same problem everytime. Personally I don't think you're in the 1%, that being said though, how often are you getting smarmy comments? Cos that says more about you than anyone else you're speaking to. Can I ask, are you one of those people who posts "anyone know a local plumber" on facebook too?

Prick :wanker:

29 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

I don't measure leaf temps

31 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

mid 40s to mid 60s

Thought you said it didn't have anything to do with your environmental conditions?

Tell you what, good luck cracking it

Just now, latigid aikon said:

which he has plenty of but calcium requires magnesium as I understand it so with no mag you see a cal def?

If that was the case, why is he not showing a mg def then. calcium def could be caused by a number of things, including environment.

• Like 2

@EarLobe I have no way of measuring it but its classed as very hard. 

@ratdog those pictures are crap eh, I can't find the better ones, but there was definitely rust, starting in dots around the edges, then spreading into patches. 

@GSZZ I'm only taking the piss mate, was more a statement about general comments on posts I see quite a lot on here, lots of people seem to chime in without really having any positive input, but thanks for making it personal lol.

I did take what you where saying into consideration hence stating my environment. Are you suggesting I need to keep my humidity more in check? Not sure how I can really do that in my situation tbh, I've got a tiny space and a tiny flat and a very small salary. I have had the same humidity range the whole time I've been growing (not very long mind) and it's never caused the issue before, but I'm all ears mate honestly, you've got a more more experience than me. 

E2A am I the only person who doesn't measure leaf Temps? 

Edited by MindSoup

Just now, bill cooper said:

If that was the case, why is he not showing a mg def then. calcium def could be caused by a number of things, including environment.

Its the ratio that matters, if they are out of balance they can affect the uptake of each other. As fucked up as it seems low levels of Mg can stop Ca uptake even without a direct Mg deficiency showing.

• Like 4

Just now, MindSoup said:

those pictures are crap eh, I can't find the better ones, but there was definitely rust, starting in dots around the edges, then spreading into patches. 

i need close ups mate is all, my eyes are not great, but they must be just at the very start of problems

this is what it will look like if unchecked, have you seen this? if so, it's cal def imho

severe-calcium-deficiency.jpg.79eb3b1e695cb6b12b04308349490ee0.jpg

• Like 1

Coupled with extremely hard tap water... My tap water comes out at 270ppm and my calcium is only 84mg of that. And my water is at the limit of what I like to use. Makes feeds high even with "hard water nutes"...

I'm starting to get proper Dejavu with this post now...

Edited by EarLobe

Just now, DeltaMelter said:

Its the ratio that matters, if they are out of balance they can affect the uptake of each other. As fucked up as it seems low levels of Mg can stop Ca uptake even without a direct Mg deficiency showing.

It would show both mg and cal in that case, IMO.