Cal & Mag

MindSoup

True story that. 

You have to eliminate everything golden says before pumping any old shite into your plants. 

A lot of the time it's  people's  watering regime being  way  off. 

Which will  knock all of the above out of kilter. 

Edited by HazyDaze
  • Like 2

@GSZZ

Apart from in my initial post and by growinggold ????? 

I have had similar discussions on a previous post when I was trying to diagnose the issue, for the most part my environment has been in check and my other plants have all been happy. I was prompted by a post I saw today to investigate further and realised (as previously mentioned) that A my water is indeed out of whack, B that a feed chart/timetable by ot1 included epsom salts, and C that the things I had thought provided it in my mix didn't contain what I thought. 

Tell you what I im tired of, smarmy comments that just tell people they're wrong and offer no insight lol. Count yourself lucky you can just scroll past stuff you don't want to read. 

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed

Ive just started adding canna mono mag to this grow as my mag is out of whack, mine is 97 cal, mag 1 and thus far have been plagued with this issue most grows, always mid flower and the same calmag lockout issues. It has been so tiring trying to get to the bottom of it my enviro has been pretty much spot on for a while now and have ruled everything (as far as i can tell) out and tried something different on each plant each grow to try and work the issue out but so far without success. @Oldbear was really a great help to me and gave sound advice and information, dosages etc if i wished to give the mono mag a try. im sure if you give him a shout he may be able to give some advice on ca/mg ratios and the likes.

Hope you get it sorted bud :yinyang:

• Like 2

@Autobud yeah he did seem to know what he was talking about in that thread tegridy posted, but funnily enough I called him a wanker earlier today so he might not be so keen to help me lol. It was mostly in jest like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HazyDaze said:

A lot of the time it's  people's  watering regime being  way  off. 

Which will  knock all of the above out of kilter. 

For the most part they're watered with blumat stakes (not the dripper ones) which keeps them on the dry side  and then they occasionally get a feed of Tea and or Biosys about once a week or so.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

So just for reference some extra environmental info. 

60x60x120 tent 

Humidity is usually between mid 40s to mid 60s but during that grow did spike to approx 80% for about 10 days when the filter came away from the fan. This happened after the issue had started though. 

Day temps are 27-30

Night temps 22-24 

I don't measure leaf temps

Grown in 3L pots 12/12 from seed.

I think everything else has been said already. 

Also as previously mentioned while I was away in June my circuit breaker tripped and they spent some time in the dark with no extraction, I'm not sure how long for, I was away 10 days and my "babysitter" said he never saw the lights on lol, but who knows if he was even there at the right time, he didn't seem to follow a single instruction even though I stuck them on a bit of paper on the tent. All I know is when I came back everything had no power and the pots where over watered, all but one survived and some didn't even seem bothered so my hunch is they didn't spend too long like that. This all happened a good month or 2 before this issue started.

The reason I think it might be magnesium is because my environment seems to be fairly in check for the most part, people seem to agree LED grows tend to cause this issue and I'm running a lot of light for the space, my water ratios are out of whack and today I've noticed epsom salts being part of a feed regime that OT1 wrote that was for growing in soil (Sorry can't find it), so figured it was possibly a standard thing I hadn't learned about yet. 

So what do we reckon? My 2 flowering ladies are both looking fairly healthy right now, but they're both in the first half of flower so I'm worried It's just around the corner.

Edited by MindSoup
Spelling
  • Like 1

@MindSoup I initially thought mine was over watering with the tropf blumats.  But in hindsight I think imo. It's not being able to keep up with the light. I crank it up to much. Whether that means I need more co2, feed (cal/mag), air transfer, heat, or humidity I do not know. 

I was hopeful @ratdog will chip in I know he has some success with Cal mag And wanted to when and how much ect. 

I have switched to all intense this run and not added any Cal mag yet, I do have small bottle ready but again i don't know. I've noticed a couple small spots on my current but fuck it. Hopefully it grow some bud and I can make some seeds.  We always want perfection but on rl what is actually perfect not a lot .

large.IMG_20210819_194026_copy_1728x2304.jpglarge.IMG_20210819_193958_copy_1728x2304.jpg

Slightly light leaves on bottom left and one little rust spot on top leaf at 12 o'clock of photos.

Edited by growinggold
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, growinggold said:

when did you add cal mag?

i add mine at .5ml all the way through mate, i've been having cal def for years but assumed it was a feeding issue, fucked up some grows with that idea lol

but since using ghe cal mag my grows have been healthy and consistent, so it's a no-brainer, doesn't cause issues like some apparently get. my water is softer than a baby's arse

i don't think light plays much of a part ime

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 2

@growinggold  Cheers for chiming in mate. Like your saying I think the light intensity might be playing a part, using my phone as a sensor isn't ideal but what can ya do, like you say things are never perfect, I'm definitely on the higher side of recommendations.

One thing im pretty confident about is that I have enough calcium, there's plenty in the water and the mix, but magnesium I'm not entirely sure tbh. Life Cycle is marketed as more or less all in one when used with WCs

• Like 1

If this hasn't been mentioned.

I think my ration is 84:4 so I add .2ml/L of mono magnesium every watering and fixed my issues completely. Used to have the same problem as you. Can be a transpiration issue also but I'd fix that mag ratio first. Too much of one or the other over a period of time can cause really strange problems. Some interesting topics online regarding over feeding one or the other and causing issues that look the opposite of what they should... 

• Like 3

Thanks mate that thread looks useful. I did have a search but neither one posted on here came up. I can't see sorting out the water ratios doing any harm at least. I'll be running some cuts at some point soon, so I could do a side by side and see if it makes any difference. 

E2A The early symptoms described in that post are exactly what is starting to happen on my lemon Drizzle, she's also seemed a bit slow this week or so. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

Just now, bill cooper said:

imo you don't have a mg def, so I would not be adding epsom salts.

What do you think is the issue mate? 

No worries mate, I think it was stickied in this sub lol. At first I was chucking a table spoon of epsom salt in the 7l watering  can and chucking that on once a week. 

IIRC there are some dilution calculators online that help you solve the problem. Epsom is 10% Mg so 1G to 1L of water should give you 100ppm of Mg if I remember right. 

Atb