Experiments with Dettol

highgrower

On 24/06/2023 at 1:33 PM, MindSoup said:

Right then.

I've got some mother's that have been getting battered by Thrips for fucking ages now. Every time I get rid of the thrips and get the girls back to health the bastards come back. 

I've decided to give this Dettol thing a go and then take some fresh cuts to make into new mothers. 

Has anyone used this for thrips? I imagine if it works for mites it will work for thrips, but would be good to know for sure.

The thought of taking cuts and then dipping them in Dettol has crossed my mind, can anyone say wether that would be a good idea or not? Not sure how it might effect rooting etc. 

Hi mate ive used this for thrip 

On a little place i have, i didn't even no what thrip looked like tbh, but after 2 weeks of very little growth i sat and googled it, 

So any way long story short 

I had nothing else to use for this thrip

So I remembered this post and did 10ml a litre 

Then a blasted all the plants with a 10er pump spray bottle from b&q i did underneath and all the stems then the tops then i blasted the top of the coco then i soaked the whole room and it did the trick after i repeated it 2 more time that week..!

On 24/06/2023 at 1:33 PM, MindSoup said:

Right then.

I've got some mother's that have been getting battered by Thrips for fucking ages now. Every time I get rid of the thrips and get the girls back to health the bastards come back. 

I've decided to give this Dettol thing a go and then take some fresh cuts to make into new mothers. 

Has anyone used this for thrips? I imagine if it works for mites it will work for thrips, but would be good to know for sure.

The thought of taking cuts and then dipping them in Dettol has crossed my mind, can anyone say wether that would be a good idea or not? Not sure how it might effect rooting etc. 

And the other thing i was told a while back by my uncles mate they are both big growers 

(Unfortunately not what we grow )

Is to get 1ml of domestos to 1 gal of water 

And have another bowl of clean water

Any clones you get in from anywhere 

Give them a dip in the domestos water  don't dip roots , then shake them off then dip them in the clean water,  i now do this all the time

They'll look like shit afterwards , i even thought I'd killed mine the first time i did it

But 4 days later all was good, no mites no nothing  the only time i didn't do this i got thrip ffs

• Like 1

Yeah I did find the Dettol worked pretty well on the thrips, fingers crossed I've finally seen the back of them. How do you mean look like shit with the domestos? Just floppy or does it burn them? 

On 11/12/2023 at 10:07 AM, MindSoup said:

Yeah I did find the Dettol worked pretty well on the thrips, fingers crossed I've finally seen the back of them. How do you mean look like shit with the domestos? Just floppy or does it burn them? 

No burns or anything mate, 

Just looking floppy and a bit stressed 

But all good few days later

Glad to hear you're winning with the Dettol mate 

I was dubious with using it

Only thing I've not done is , use it in flower 

• Like 1

Oh right yeah happy days then. Yeah I wouldn't really spray anything on a flowering plant, definitely not Dettol. A few slow release packets of predators dotted around are a good way to keep plants safe through flower.

• 1 month later...

A little bump.

I used 10ml Dettol per 1L water, to get rid of some Thrips.

Is 3 x applications enough?

I sprayed the plants Saturday, Tuesday & Saturday.

I pulled a few leaves off tonight, and using a Loupe, i can't see anything alive on the plants

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Subutai said:

i can't see anything alive on the plants

I'd say you've sorted it - give it a few more days and keep your eyes open incase there are eggs which have survived but fingers crossed for you - did you also do a spray/misting of the grow space when you did the spray on the plants?

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 1

Yeah i emptied the tent and everything that was in it it was sprayed, eg. saucers etc....

The tent walls and floors were also sprayed.

• Like 1

Do you think dunking a bonsai mum in a bucket of Detol solution would be ok?  (Not the root ball) 

stupidly thought she would enjoy some sunshine last summer, only outside for a day and came back with fungus gnats and thrips, gnats gone but the thrips are stubborn buggers. Though harkers had worked but seems they are now immune ffs 

cheers lads

Edited by cypo74

I think a dunk may be a bit much - try a few sprays and see how it goes?

• Like 1

Thrips have a lot of domancy in their life cycle, so treatment needs to be kept up for about 20+ days. Also covering the soil can help, think white card disk with a hole in the centre for the stem, rather than benching. I'd try a horticulture soap (is yukka extract still a thing?) before dettol. On an aside, dettol absolutley destroys apple Macbook keyboards.

Failing that, diatomaceous earth on any surface that things can drop on to.

• Like 1