Experiments with Dettol

highgrower

if none of the ingredients are systemic for more than a few weeks then looks like you may have hit the jackpot mate

i still have some mectin left in the cupboard gifted to me by someone here who had a small holding, but can i source anymore, canna be fucked, harkers is a fucking scam lol

so this might be the cost-effective alternative

good work professor :)

• Like 2

I was getting pissed off with spuffing over a tenner on a tiny bottle of harkers pretty much every grow just to eventually get mites resistant to it - hopefully this gets the eggs as well.

I would give this a go for thrips as well but fortunatley that's a pest i havent had in a while - just mites and gnats for me usually.

• Like 5

Very interesting but I'm wondering if it's just the castor oil repelling the insects? If so you could make this without the active ingredients and you'd be away! 

The active ingredient in dettol is registered as an insecticide in the USA apparently as well so I'd say you've struck a winner lol

• Like 4

A good experiment regarding dettol but the effects it will have on spider mite is a guessing game. Just a shame you didn't have one of those riddled plants to compare. Thanks fir sharing

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone maybe interested,.. i'm working from memory here so bear with me,... the mode of action of Dettol i think is in it's disinfectant component Chloroxylenol,  i'm having to dig deep here in the old memory bank, but there is a protein synthesis pathway that all green plants use; part of which is controlled by an enzyme called UDP - glucuronosyltransferase.  well basically Chloroxylenol reacts with this enzyme breaking it down rapidly into Glucuronic acid and Sulphuric acid,... i can well imagine the sap pH in the plant rapidly decreasing to dangerous levels as the disinfectant starts its work... Protein synthesis within the plant would then rapidly cease followed by rapid tissue decay and death.

• Like 5

Pigeon mite spray is my new favourite weapon its work every time so far I also give my tent a good spray with it after each grow

Just now, blueovalbug said:

Pigeon mite spray is my new favourite weapon its work every time so far I also give my tent a good spray with it after each grow

As far as I remember harkers is systemic, which would mean the mites need to bite your tent for the after-grow spray to have any effect.  Unlikely. 

31 minutes ago, blueovalbug said:

Seems a bit of a pricey way to clean down the tent to me - just give it a spray and wipe down with bleach / jeyes fluid /dettol (at a decent concentration)

Also if you do have mites and keep hitting them with harkers you will find it becomes less and less effective.

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

So i hit my tent fixtures and fittings with tear gas, pepper spray, a nuke a smoke bomb and all sorts...Well i cleaned it all with very lightly diluted bleach and bought new pots, new bag of coco and was pretty happy to get going again. 

But being that i was behind the times with regards to getting a grow done by xmas...I thought just this once Id bring some cuts in from A n other 2nd hand source. A mate of a mate if you like.

Got them here and noted that they hadn't rooted out their little pots so I piut them in our bedroom window....radiator below window and limited sunlight = roots growing faster than if they were in tent under lights...plus i was spraying them keeping the leaves moist.

That part went well 

small pots rooted out and I stuck em in their finals in coco and up to the tent with them....3 days later I saw the first signs of the bar stewards. GUTTED I was especially after the summer grow being ruined ...almost at the point if binning growing...until i found my dummy again as it was firmly spat out.

Anyway I remembered this thread and thought as a last resort to hand wash all 4 plants in a 20ml/ltr  solution. 

I also stuck a very old humidifier in there which had the same detol mixture in lol and turned off all fans ect and stuck it on 100% output....walls dripping ceiling dripping...you get the idea.

Here they are 3 weeks later....Could not be happier. Not a living creepy crawly in site. I never bothered to wipe it off/spray the plants with water to clean em or nothing.

large.61a37d58ad345_1638020091177(Medium).jpglarge.61a37d57c4dd4_1638020091154(Medium).jpglarge.61a37d5676027_1638020091131(Medium).jpg

The last picture shows a bit of damage...but im sure you know as well as me that is a feeding issue which looking at the fresh growth on the new leaves im confident i have got ontop of too.

Cliff notes...I think it works well people. I may even make this a standard precaution mid veg even as a preventative.

• Like 9

I got rid of spidermite with a solution of 1litre of warm water, 2ml SLES27% and 6ml neem oil. Sprayed until total saturation on all plant surfaces and round pots(everywhere really) every three days for 3 weeks. Used it up to 1 week 12/12 with no Ill effects.

Also use a 20000k 150w mh on them which is very blue, apparently they don't like it although I dont know for sure.

I tried co2 by calculating the weight required from the volume of the space and weighing the second hand fire extinguisher. It reduced numbers but I didn't keep going as I wanted to save it for a last resort in flower. Burnt my hand on the valve, wear gloves.

Edited by inceywinceyspider

Cheers mindsoup. I stress people not to use the misses favorite mister/humidifier or you may end up with worse than spider mites lol. This is my dedicate disposable old shit humidifier so the fact that it sinks of detol makes no odds lol.

Im just super happy that the single application seems to have really done the business here. I haven't seen a thing since the day after I done it...and it's a good 3 weeks on now. I haven't flipped yet but intend to by the end of the week. I am going to chance NOT re-applying the mixture as there is nothing there...outside the tent is far too inhospitable for anything now due to wooden floors all moped with detol solution and outside the tent is prety cold too. So im going to gamble with the single application and will report back if everything remains clear until chop time.

• Like 3

Greenhouse fumigators haveworked for me previously. Let one off every 3 days for a fortnight and job done. I do give the buds a wash at chop time though as I've no interest in smoking pyrethrum but I've been fortunate enough this only needed doing twice.

@Diddy great idea with the humidifier - thanks for sharing your experience

I havent seen mites since my last preventative spray with dettol - touching wood as i type but since doing this I am on day 56 without seeing a mite - ok I have fungus gnats instead but give me them any day over mites.

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...

I tried this yesterday, got a few pups xxx that have some mites 

large.IMG_28032022_163323_(1875_x_2500_pixel).jpglarge.IMG_28032022_163255_(2250_x_3000_pixel).jpg

I sprayed them yesterday morning with a 10ml/l solution, quite a light misting. I'll report back with results! 

I decided to roughly cover the surface of the compost with scrappy bits of myler and stuff that were hanging around, to prevent the dettol getting in the soil and affecting the microbes.  Maybe pointless but didn't take long and I'm using living soil in the main room so it feels a bit wrong to use this approach lol

large.IMG_28032022_163403_(1929_x_2000_pixel).jpg

Hoping that'll do it. Thanks @highgrower

• Like 2