Experiments with Dettol

highgrower

Seen this thread on my new posts early morning look in. I am happy to report that after my 2nd precautionary spray these buggers never returned. Crop was/is fine no effect on taste on end product. As it goes I have just redone my tent with the humidifier and a 30ml/l solution of this as im ready to start rocking again in my tent. I will be doing this as a preventative from now on i think. So I will hit the plants with it just before flowering. But yeah just wanted to say mine all survived and everything ended as it should with nothing mad to report.

• Like 3

Very interesting and cheers @highgrower for the experiment. Will try it if I need to but hope I don't need to again... Struggled with the bloody Borg deep into flower last time... ivermectin worked but it was back breaking to get them all out to spray in my small room..!

Grew out a few of your C*B*NN crosses this time unfortunately all four were boys. I'll try with a few more soon ... Sounds a nice cross with healthy looking vigorous plants!

Cheers..

DS

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can't do photos at the moment as no camera, but unfortunately this technique isn't working for me so far. I started at 10ml/l moving up to 30 eventually with some bad burns on some plants but the mites haven't been put off at all really. I might try dunking the plants in a bucket instead of spraying, just in case I'm not covering them properly but it's not looking good really. I'll check back in when I've given up or if there's any more to report and will try get photos up somehow

• Like 1

@highgrower I use a pond mister in a bucket as a ghetto humidifier, will try that! might gave em an extra thorough spray today as well so we'll see if dettol might win in the end

Safe

• Like 1

As soon as you are finished using humidifier clean it with plenty hot water. The oil in the water wont do your humidifier any favours long term lol . I have used the 20ml method twice per grow for last 2 grows. Each time I had an issue and the dettol cleared it out the park.

I'd hate to think there is a insect/bug that can withstand a blast of dettol .....frightening stuff. Hope you get it sorted.

• Like 3

Dr Johnson's Antiseptic Disinfectant - 500ml that stuff smells and looks identical to dettol and its less than a pound in a few shops just a heads up for you guys and girls 

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to give you all some advice before you end up putting something on/in your plants that could be toxic if inhaled. 

Not saying dettol is toxic but unfortunately for U.K. growers we have no way of knowing as we cannot send samples to labs for testing if there is any contamination. 

easy cheap and effective 

CITRIC ACID POWDER 

2-3 teaspoons per litre of warm water. 

test spray your mix on lower plants first to make sure you don’t get any wilt. 

then spray away. This is a contact killer and is organic. 

most of the organic pest sprays contain a form of citric acid as their base. 

you can also mix this with some neem or un perfumed dish soap or both. 

Resistance to CA is a none starter and you can spray as much as you like as long as your plants can withstand it. 

• Like 3

@JonDaMon good tip, I news reading up on a DIY wasp/hornet/fly spray and saw citric acid as a suggestion, didn't realise is that worked for other bugs as well, I'll definitely be giving that a try in the future. 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Right then.

I've got some mother's that have been getting battered by Thrips for fucking ages now. Every time I get rid of the thrips and get the girls back to health the bastards come back. 

I've decided to give this Dettol thing a go and then take some fresh cuts to make into new mothers. 

Has anyone used this for thrips? I imagine if it works for mites it will work for thrips, but would be good to know for sure.

The thought of taking cuts and then dipping them in Dettol has crossed my mind, can anyone say wether that would be a good idea or not? Not sure how it might effect rooting etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

Right then.

I've got some mother's that have been getting battered by Thrips for fucking ages now. Every time I get rid of the thrips and get the girls back to health the bastards come back. 

I've decided to give this Dettol thing a go and then take some fresh cuts to make into new mothers. 

Has anyone used this for thrips? I imagine if it works for mites it will work for thrips, but would be good to know for sure.

The thought of taking cuts and then dipping them in Dettol has crossed my mind, can anyone say wether that would be a good idea or not? Not sure how it might effect rooting etc. 

Never used dettol but I have to ask if its to clear the cuts wouldn't a 5-10% peroxide bleach be a safer option :yinyang:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 24/6/2023 at 1:33 PM, MindSoup said:

Right then.

Have you tried a soil drench, maybe vine weevil killer? Covering or top dressing the compost with sharp sand works well to keep them down. I struggled with them for years. Keeping the same cuts running wasn't a good idea but I did eventually hammer them, and now and then I've seen a few silver trails on leaves but ivermectin works a treat , like written above. 

Even though I have been using a small drop of ivermectin in veg, I lately discovered minimal spider mite damage on plants a week in flower. I upped the ivermectin dosage fotr two sprays ,and altered the spray mix after with neem, lavender oil, pyrethrum. I think insects return when you drop your guard for a while. I wasn't physically able to look after plants properly for a few weeks. I do think a tiny drop or two of dettol would be very effective .A few drops changes a pint of clear water to white .For further precaution I wouldn't mind using some of the other products mentioned, stock up.