Smoke bomb

Herbal Kint

Strictly speaking, no.

The instructions advise reapplication.

But in reality I've never needed to do it more than once.  I think the residual poison is persistent enough to kill hatchlings for several days at least.  I think I read for moths and fleas it's still potent enough to kill for up to roughly 16days iirc.

Which is harder? Moth v mite??   

• Like 1

It's good practice to bomb every room rather than just the room your grow is in I've come to realise (hence why I opt for the fucking massive bombs) especially if like Mrs BilgePump and I you have numerous other plants dotted about (I think we've something in the range of 250 houseplants) or free range pets for that matter as cats etc will pick up mites on their travels.

But as others have mentioned the mini fumers are ideal for like a 1.2m² space or thereabouts.

And you only forget to disconnect smoke alarms once.

If I'm bombing I tend to leave a note on the front door too with some gumph about fumigating for fleas because the last thing you need is a concerned neighbour calling the fire service.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

last thing you need is a concerned neighbour calling the fire service.

I was just imagining a plume of "smoke" funneling out of someone's extractor vent lol. Not a good look. 

• Like 3

I've just recently used harkers spot on for pigeons diluted down to 1ml per litre. Killed the fucking lot, just topped up with another spray today been 9 days since first used and haven't seen any movement since and hasn't touched the plants in the slightest and i heavily sprayed freshly rooted cuttings. Might be worth a try, costs about £10-15 depending where from and packaging.

• Like 3

Thanks for reply all, ill nuke both rooms as i drag plants and pots around.

Edited by Herbal Kint

On 19/08/2021 at 3:28 PM, MindSoup said:

One question about these smoke bombs, do they kill the eggs?

Solid one, but i dont think anything kills eggs as they are protected.

Might be worth to give another hit after few days eh?

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, CriticalEddie said:

Has anyone used these while their plants are in the room? I am tempted to give them a blast. :pitchfork:

I wouldn't. They will kill your plants from what I gather with my research.

If you've got plants and mites, harkers followed by predators or just predators if the infestation isn't too bad.

Smoke bombs are for empty rooms and are incredibly effective. Far more so than any spray because smoke gets everywhere.

Nothing residual left to worry about with plants either.

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 2

Used some insecto smoke bombs a couple days ago, left all my mother in the room with them to be safe and everything looks fine. I used 2 in the room and 1 in my veg tent. Smoked it out for 2 hours then opened windows and aired the room for another 2 before working in there. Seems to have done the trick will be smoking them out again in a few days.

Just make sure they’re in a big fireproof tin as one of mine flipped and was upside down when I came back into the room and saw some reviews saying they’re prone to popping 

@CriticalEddie I wouldn’t let your plants get too close but to be entirely honest with you my mothers where right next to one of the smoke bombs and all of them look untouched 

@blackpoolbouncer It seems smoke bombs don't harm the plants fortunately. It does say in the instructions to take plants out but considering it doesn't kill the plants probably best to leave them in with the smoke. I used the 3.5g insecto bombs but i think it should be same with other brands as they all have the same active ingredient. Although i'd probably recommend against it if you're using an organic living soil as id imagine it would fuck with the soil big time

Also just an add about harkers spot on, it destroys the mites on contacts. Doesn't kill the eggs though so reapplication is a must. But at around the 20 day mark the mites started to come back and even spotted some alive right after spraying them so the get immune pretty quick so i'd use harkers as a 1-2 time application before using another method to finish them off. I honestly don't recommend predators in the slightest as they cant get rid of them fully imo. Used 2000 permillis + 10 premium foil sachets on a propagator tent with a tiny infestation and the mites only double day after day of using the predators but others have had more success than me

Edited by HazyHashMan
  • Like 1

Whether they harm the plants is dependent on the bombs used.

It's not the active ingredient that's the problem, the oxidizer they all use according to the labels is potassium chlorate or potassium perchlorate and if the manufacturer uses that then the plants will be fine.

Some manufacturers skip on materials and substitute sodium chlorate in place of the potassium as it's cheaper.

Sodium chlorate as well as being a powerful oxidizer is also an extremely potent herbicide. The go to weedkiller of gardeners for decades before it was banned. 

You can see the difference when you light them Kclo3/4 gives a blue flame. Nclo3 gives a yellow/orangey one.

• Like 3

Can I use Fortefog Fumers on Plants?

We get asked a lot if these bombs are safe to use on plants. The answer is yes but they will cause your plants some distress.

1. DO NOT USE Fortefog fumers on flowering plants as the shock will harm plant development and yield.

2. DO NOT USE Fortefog fumers on cuttings, seedlings or small immature plants as you could severely damage them.

3. ONLY USE Fortefog fumers on plants in vegetative growth that have a sufficiently developed, once you have smoked them expect some leaf discoloration to occur 1-2 days later and maybe a little plant shock, allow the plants 1-2 weeks to recover and good healthy new shoots to come through. DO NOT flower your plants until they have recovered.

So in conclusion Fortefog Smoke bombs should only really be used on plants in cases of bad infestations. They can be extremely effective at eliminating pests because they will completely envelop an area and contact all the pests but they will slightly harm your plants so follow the above guidelines.

• Like 3

Tbh mate bouncers right as well, I wouldn't chance using any of them around plants that weren't in full tilt veg and looking healthy enough to handle it.  

I'm a big fan when it comes to using them to eradicate infections from grow spaces but I always advise folks not to use them around plants as it's not really worth taking a chance.

I was just pointing out what I think is the problem with some brands and why some just kill plants outright regardless of size/health.  It's something I've seen myself and the penny dropped when I saw the yellow flame from one. 

2p

• Like 4