Help with growing in auto pots please

Gooey

10 hours ago, Haze_smoker said:

I'm not sure about canna. I stayed away from the hype and the price tag. I'm a stingy bastard lol I only use base nutes pH down and h202 now but I used to use ionic grow n bloom and PK that was it.. 

It's a 2 part feed isn't it?  that u use all the way thru or do u switch them to a different feed when you put them into flower? If you use the same food all the way thru I'd up the feed to 1.5ec top feed them till you get run off every other day for 3 feeds.. that shud " reset your pots" and give them the extra feed they need.. and have your Coco at the right EC in the pot then up your Res to 1.5ec and carry on like normal. Tag me if u need mate I'm always happy to give advice as far as I know how to advise.. 

I guess rizo is for the roots.. IV never used anything like that so can't advise on that. 

Dwc is "deep water culture" it's the dark art of pure water hydro.. 

@Gooey

Yeah the canna a+b is a two part to be used all the way through, i've upped the ec to 1.5 now and done two top feeds and they seem to look better already 

they have a couple of weeks left now before harvesting but i think i will give them an extra week just to see how they go 

thanks for the advice pal much appreciated

9 hours ago, Haze_smoker said:

@Gooey what's your set up pal? Lights? Wats temps like? Lights off/on? 

Are you useing Cal mag too? What's your starting EC and pH? 

Haze

I'm in a 1.2x1.2 tent with a lumatek zeus 600w pro light i have a small ceramic heater in there hooked up to a temp probe so i can keep the temp at 22.5 and a small dehumidifier/humidifier hooked up to a humidistat to keep the humidity between 45 and 50 which is easier to maintain now the weather has cooled down a bit  

like i said i was told 1 to 1.1 ec and when i fill the tank up and put the nutes in i put a bit of ph down in and get it as near to 5.8 as i can 

ive now upped the ec to 1.5 and done 2 top feeds which seemed to have helped 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gooey said:

I'm in a 1.2x1.2 tent with a lumatek zeus 600w pro light i have a small ceramic heater in there hooked up to a temp probe so i can keep the temp at 22.5 and a small dehumidifier/humidifier hooked up to a humidistat to keep the humidity between 45 and 50 which is easier to maintain now the weather has cooled down a bit  

like i said i was told 1 to 1.1 ec and when i fill the tank up and put the nutes in i put a bit of ph down in and get it as near to 5.8 as i can 

ive now upped the ec to 1.5 and done 2 top feeds which seemed to have helped 

With a 600w I'd defo take to 1.5ec also I find that indicas can take a bit more food. I never PhD wen I was in autos but did when hand watering.. everyone has there way and wat works for 1 doesn't always work for another! 

Sounds like your set up and temps are about right id push the temps a bit higher to like 24 lights on but if there happy at 22 then keep in there mate! 

My last run I messed about with temps a bit for the last 2 weeks and had a 10c difference between lights on and off and the resin production was insane so il be doing the same on this next run just to make sure it was that and not the difference between Coco and hydro! 

All the best 

Haze 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Haze_smoker said:

With a 600w I'd defo take to 1.5ec also I find that indicas can take a bit more food. I never PhD wen I was in autos but did when hand watering.. everyone has there way and wat works for 1 doesn't always work for another! 

Sounds like your set up and temps are about right id push the temps a bit higher to like 24 lights on but if there happy at 22 then keep in there mate! 

My last run I messed about with temps a bit for the last 2 weeks and had a 10c difference between lights on and off and the resin production was insane so il be doing the same on this next run just to make sure it was that and not the difference between Coco and hydro! 

All the best 

Haze 

Nice one much appreciated haze 

have a great weekend and no doubt i'll be picking your brain again soon lol

4 hours ago, Gooey said:

Nice one much appreciated haze 

have a great weekend and no doubt i'll be picking your brain again soon lol

No worries pal. Feel free to tag me if your stuck and IL help if I can. 

Haze 

• Like 1

On 30/07/2021 at 7:35 AM, Gooey said:

Thanks pal how often is regular top feeding ? once a week once a fortnight?

I’d agree with all of the great advice you’ve been given here. Just on the nutes, rhizo is for your roots and is worth using up to flower. It makes a huge difference imo. I’d ditch it once flowering kicks in. Rhizo and Cannazyne take up almost none of your EC so I’d generally put them in first and add A&B from there up to the desired Ec. I try to keep it as low as possible but when they look hungry increase it. I’d also agree with the advice to ditch the Pk for now. It should only be used for a couple of weeks at most in late flower and even then it may not make all that much difference. 

It’s worth checking out the canna website and plug in your details into the grow guide under grow info for a custom feeding schedule. It’s just a guideline but it’s a useful starting point. Tweak the nutrients up or down as needed and you can leave out half of them tbh.

And I haven’t mixed the autopots with top feeding yet but when I do I’ll be top feeding at least once a week. I do leave them sitting in fresh nutrient when they get really thirsty so it’s kind of like manual non auto pots for now but it’s working well so all good.

One final thing would be to keep an eye on those temps. LEDs need warmer temps and mine struggle under 28 tbh. I have to run a heater on a firebird controller to keep temps high enough otherwise I get cal mag deficiencies. Just another one to watch out for. 

Glad to hear your plants are looking better. It can be stressful watching all the hard work get away from you like that ! A good feed and regular nutrient flush will definitely help anyway. 

Edited by The Bishop Basher

8 hours ago, The Bishop Basher said:

I’d agree with all of the great advice you’ve been given here. Just on the nutes, rhizo is for your roots and is worth using up to flower. It makes a huge difference imo. I’d ditch it once flowering kicks in. Rhizo and Cannazyne take up almost none of your EC so I’d generally put them in first and add A&B from there up to the desired Ec. I try to keep it as low as possible but when they look hungry increase it. I’d also agree with the advice to ditch the Pk for now. It should only be used for a couple of weeks at most in late flower and even then it may not make all that much difference. 

It’s worth checking out the canna website and plug in your details into the grow guide under grow info for a custom feeding schedule. It’s just a guideline but it’s a useful starting point. Tweak the nutrients up or down as needed and you can leave out half of them tbh.

And I haven’t mixed the autopots with top feeding yet but when I do I’ll be top feeding at least once a week. I do leave them sitting in fresh nutrient when they get really thirsty so it’s kind of like manual non auto pots for now but it’s working well so all good.

One final thing would be to keep an eye on those temps. LEDs need warmer temps and mine struggle under 28 tbh. I have to run a heater on a firebird controller to keep temps high enough otherwise I get cal mag deficiencies. Just another one to watch out for. 

Glad to hear your plants are looking better. It can be stressful watching all the hard work get away from you like that ! A good feed and regular nutrient flush will definitely help anyway. 

I have my temp at 22.5 atm should I up it to 28 ? And what is cannazyne ?  
cheers pal 

7 hours ago, Gooey said:

I have my temp at 22.5 atm should I up it to 28 ? And what is cannazyne ?  
cheers pal 

Hi, in my experience, yes. If your running LEDs you need the temp up in the high 20’s to avoid deficiencies especially in flower. 

Cannazyme is in the canna nutrient range. It’s an enzyme that helps with breaking down old roots in the medium but if you’re not using it forget I mentioned it cause it won’t make any difference to your grow.

A&B, Rhizo and Boost for flowering are all you need for now. Maybe Cal mag depending on your water. Download the canna grow guide and follow it loosely but more important to follow your plants. 

On 01/08/2021 at 4:10 PM, The Bishop Basher said:

Hi, in my experience, yes. If your running LEDs you need the temp up in the high 20’s to avoid deficiencies especially in flower. 

Cannazyme is in the canna nutrient range. It’s an enzyme that helps with breaking down old roots in the medium but if you’re not using it forget I mentioned it cause it won’t make any difference to your grow.

A&B, Rhizo and Boost for flowering are all you need for now. Maybe Cal mag depending on your water. Download the canna grow guide and follow it loosely but more important to follow your plants. 

Nice one i'll get my temps up a bit 

i have been away for a couple of days and they look a little better now the leaves are getting some colour back in them 

they should be ready to be flushed in about a week but i think i will give them an extra week because of all this stress

should i flush for a week or 10 days ? i've read different opinions on this 

and i have some seeds due so i will be germinating them soon so i'm sure i will be asking for lots of advice from you guys

thanks, everyone for all this great advice hopefully i will be growing the best weed in the uk by next year lol

4 hours ago, Gooey said:

should i flush for a week or 10 days ? 

There’s no right or wrong when it comes to flushing. I tend to start when I think the plant has about 2 weeks left but others feed right up to the chop. Best bet is to try a few different ways yourself and see what works best for you.

5 hours ago, Gooey said:

should i flush for a week or 10 days? 

It depends on how accurate your feeding was, and how much plain water you are putting through each time.

Good news is you're using coco and have an ec pen, so it's pretty simple. 

Ideally you want your run off coming out the same as it goes in, so there's no food left in your coco (this also means it's good for another run, you'll have to buffer with calmag if soft water though).  That means the plant will have to use up its own stores. 

As you've underfed it should take less to get the medium clear, probably a week on plain water with minimal run off will see you right, but check run off ec and adjust as necessary. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2021 at 8:57 AM, Gooey said:

should i flush for a week or 10 days ? i've read different opinions on this 

i have some seeds due so i will be germinating them soon so i'm sure i will be asking for lots of advice from you guys

thanks, everyone for all this great advice hopefully i will be growing the best weed in the uk by next year lol

Hi Gooey.

You have been given some great advice on here. My 2p wont align with some of it but it is what works for me. I have used AP's for 3 years, coco clay pebble mix. Also I use Canna nutes too. That being said, I noticed your APs are the newer ones with bigger float inlets, I am still using the old ones (4mm). There block up regularly so I will be changing over to the Alien easy feed system soon as it is 16mm pipe the whole way through.

I was taught by an old geezer who told me to start babies off with a Formulex mix, then as they establish themselves (1 week or so after potting up) then to change to Canna half-rate mix (2ml A+B per litre) as well as Cannazyme and as we are hard water, 0.5ml of Calmag. A week or so after that I also will add Silicon and maybe some seaweed to the mix, obv PH'ed to around 5.8 works for me. I will hand water until the plants are in the 15L auto pots and probably the first week in them pots.

Once I started looking on here I saw people keep mentioning EC and not going above a certain number so I tried experimenting with EC using an EC pen, following what people had said on here any my plants ended up very hungry and even becoming susceptible to other problems such as leaf spot in a variety I had never had previous problems with. Needless to say I reverted back to how he taught me.

As the weeks go on I slowly up the mix 2.5ml, 3ml, 3.5ml and peaking at 4ml per litre of water around week 5 of flower, I will also add PK 13/14 from about week 3-4-5 depending on flower development, but you will get a feel for that as you become more experienced. you can find a Canna feed chart on google images, it is not gospel so just follow it loosely. My EC will be way way higher (2.2 at a rough guess) than people say to ever put in your plants, but I do not suffer from nute burn and my plants are always happy and healthy. You must read your plants.

When I link the Autopots up to their reservoir, the only thing I will have in the tank is A+B, Cannazym, Calmag and PH down. I didn't for the first 2 years, (and had no issues) but now I will top feed once a week or 2 weeks just so I can put some silicon in the plants, I do not put it in the tank as it makes sediment that blocks my pipes no matter how carefully you add it. Around 2L per pot from the top will not make your trays flood.

As for flushing, because we are hard water, I top feed plain tap water for about 2 weeks prior to cutting them down. I don't EC the run off but as long as they have had a good 10L or more through them, this will make my coco sufficiently neutral enough that the babies going in the soil next time will not be poisoned.

I'm sure not everyone will agree with my methods but it does me very well. :george:

As for seeds, I wouldn't bother. I will never grow from seed again, Conventional OR feminised. More hassle than its worth. Either get some clones from a friend or your local grow shop, then if you like the variety clone off of them for yourself. 

Good luck and happy growing.

Edited by CriticalEddie
Seed section.