Carbon filter diy

Lost_human

I started with low cost filters and they only lasted 12months max, and some let odour through before that, can, ram, red scorpion are ok for cheaper ones imho, but wish i had bought mountain air years before i did.

3 hours ago, Lost_human said:

Thanks all of you, I will do that but any knows a good one on a low budget around £40 max £50 that I can afford and i know it will land me with low quality but I just need to start grow and I can get better after a month or so

People are gonna start thinking I work for them I've said it so many times but Fox filters are the best budget brand filters I've used to date.  

I'm still using them now.  I could afford to buy a more expensive brand but I just don't see the point wasting money when these work so well. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Lost_human said:

Thanks all of you, I will do that but any knows a good one on a low budget around £40 max £50 that I can afford and i know it will land me with low quality but I just need to start grow and I can get better after a month or so

I've used Rhino Pro's since getting back in the game (not growing lately though and taking time out) but some say they're not so good anymore (I've had no bother with them) and if you're only looking for a small setup up to 250W (hps of course) then a 4" will suffice.  Ideally however, it's wise to spend the money on good filtration/ventilation and skimp on the grow space to a degree (build it yourself instead of tents etc.). 

Remember the three golden rules and you'll be alright, go against them and you're running the gauntlet so to speak.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, botanics said:

Remember the three golden rules and you'll be alright, go against them and you're running the gauntlet so to speak.

Sorry which ones u mean?

21 minutes ago, botanics said:

it's wise to spend the money on good filtration/ventilation and skimp on the grow space to a degree (build it yourself instead of tents etc.)

Yeah that's the thing I'm not planing to skimp but like just the first month when I can get by and start the grow and by next month I'll see how it's working and move from there 

• Like 1

@Noopin made his own filter, its definitely doable. However I looked into it and its actually not much more money to just buy one. I think they needed one a very specific size, so buying wasn't an option. 

I'm also really skint and went with a fox hydro filter to begin with that has proven effective since September last year. I've just bought a phresh to replace it when the time comes. I only run a 60x60x120 so a 100mmx150mm is enough for my space and only 40 quid and as previous mentioned it can be refilled (and most likely extended) when needed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lost_human said:

Sorry which ones u mean?

No smell, no tell, no sell ;) 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, botanics said:

No smell, no tell, no sell ;) 

Haha sure will do that and that's why I don't mind spending a bit extra but to get something good.

A question now that just came in same topic. That is how much CFM do I need a fan to have that will be sufficient cuz based on what is saw my numbers rounded to 600 CFM minimum. Like is this normal amount for a 60X60x140 needs?

Edited by Lost_human
  • Like 1

I've always gone with replacing all the air every 15 mins (or less), I think I saw that on an old greenhouse seeds grow guide or something, it could be a bit outdated but would suggest a much lower number than that. I use a 60x60x120 with a 4 inch AC Infinity rated at 205cfm and its got plenty of headroom. However it's not all just about air exchange, but heat (and even humidity) control. A fan thats too powerful will suck too much heat out on colder days and a weak one will struggle in hot weather, you also get quieter noise levels by running a bigger fan at a lower speed, so an oversized fan with plenty of headroom and temperature control is the best solution, but definitely not cheapest. 

Until recently I was using a wee little blauberg ducto 100 extractor fan (58 cfm), it kept up fine when I just had my 100 watt LED quantum board and the weather wasn't too hot. So if your grow tent is somehwere that stays cool and you haven't crammed it full of lights like me you may well get away with one. They're cheap as chips, good quality and really really quiet. I think I got mine and my fox 100x150 for about 50 quid all in.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

When i last looked to refill an old filter it was near on impossible to get the right carbon in small enough amounts, it used to be readily available years ago but not anymore afaik.

+1 for fox on a budget

• Like 2

@Lost_human  I see your a new member, So Welcome to the site, its where I started many moons ago & the advice I got was invaluable, 

Dont Fuck about with Diy filter options, 1, its messy  2, they're not as reliable as a made filter 3, would you really want to risk your liberty for the sake of a few extra quid ?

As others have said, invest in either a 4" or a 5" filter made by either rhino or carboair, the rhino pro filters are a bit cheaper than the carboair's,

tho the carboair has a better build quality to them, tho in fairness, I've been using rhino pro filters for years, especially 5" & the 6" filters without a problem,

with both makes of filters, both will last for at least two years of constant growing before they start to fail.

• Like 3

Just now, Joint hogger said:

@Lost_human  I see your a new member, So Welcome to the site, its where I started many moons ago & the advice I got was invaluable, 

Dont Fuck about with Diy filter options, 1, its messy  2, they're not as reliable as a made filter 3, would you really want to risk your liberty for the sake of a few extra quid ?

As others have said, invest in either a 4" or a 5" filter made by either rhino or carboair, the rhino pro filters are a bit cheaper than the carboair's,

tho the carboair has a better build quality to them, tho in fairness, I've been using rhino pro filters for years, especially 5" & the 6" filters without a problem,

with both makes of filters, both will last for at least two years of constant growing before they start to fail.

Well noted on all of it, and took with the guidance of every one here to drop DIY. Now since u seem u have experience I managed to get an offer of £150 for AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T6, Quiet 6” Inline Duct Fan with Temperature Humidity Controller - and a rihno carbon filter. 

Do think that this fan would be to much for my tent at the lowest speed

Sorry dont know anything about the AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T6 fan, I use basic fans like Ruck, RVK or Systemaire,

they're basic fans but very reliable & move a lot of air, I use my diy built fan controllers to slow them down.

Can I just ask, in your above post - Quiet 6” Inline Duct Fan, if thats correct then you're going to need to get a bigger tent than a 60 x 60 x 140   lol

if thats the size of tent your using, then a 4" or 5" fan is what you need.

have you already bought the tent ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lost_human said:

Well noted on all of it, and took with the guidance of every one here to drop DIY. Now since u seem u have experience I managed to get an offer of £150 for AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T6, Quiet 6” Inline Duct Fan with Temperature Humidity Controller - and a rihno carbon filter. 

Do think that this fan would be to much for my tent at the lowest speed

The t series ac infinity don't have the right controller mate, you want the s4/6 with a controller 67.

The one that comes with the t series fans turns off completely when it reaches the right temp, not good for growing. Bit more money, but you can always start off using the manual controller on an s series and get the controller later on.

I run the s4 with controller 67 in a 60x60x120, it goes all the way down to a near standstill so will be fine for your tent. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Joint hogger said:

Can I just ask, in your above post - Quiet 6” Inline Duct Fan, if thats correct then you're going to need to get a bigger tent than a 60 x 60 x 140   lol

if thats the size of tent your using, then a 4" or 5" fan is what you need.

have you already bought the tent ?

Cheers man thanks alot that's what I wanted to know. And yeah I already got the tent 

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

The t series ac infinity don't have the right controller mate, you want the s4/6 with a controller 67.

The one that comes with the t series fans turns off completely when it reaches the right temp, not good for growing. Bit more money, but you can always start off using the manual controller on an s series and get the controller later on.

I run the s4 with controller 67 in a 60x60x120, it goes all the way down to a near standstill so will be fine for your tent. 

The only reason why I thought the t series cuz the one I found T6 cost me £100 and if S4 series will also cost me £100.

But if you say it shuts off when the right temp then no need to buy it and I will stay with S series. Thanks man