Carbon filter diy

Lost_human

As the title say I have been checking some DIY carbon filter, and it gave me few ideas. 

My question is have anyone done one, and if so how effective is it?

More over if yes which shop would sell the best activated carbon/charcoal pellets?

There's a few page thread under refilling filters :yinyang:First thread on the DIY  sections pagelol

Edited by Personunknown
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Personunknown said:

There's a few page thread under refilling filters :yinyang:First thread on the DIY  sections pagelol

I saw them, but I don't have a carbon filter to start with as this is my first grow. Will edit the post 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lost_human said:

As the title say I have been checking some DIY carbon filter, and it gave me few ideas. 

My question is have anyone done one, and if so how effective is it?

More over if yes which shop would sell the best activated carbon/charcoal pellets?

Sorry should mention first time grower still getting my tools to start with and trying to keep budget low as possible

Points to you for wanting to go the DIY route, 

but if you're growing in the UK,

where the law is a major concern,

then the filter/extraction system is probably THE most important part of the set-up. 

Do your research and get a good quality filter/fan/acoustic ducting setup and save some of the worries that can come with this hobby :yep:

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 8

Just now, Shumroom said:

Points to you for wanting to go the DIY route, 

but if you're growing in the UK,

where the law is a major concern,

then the filter/extraction system is probably THE most important part of the set-up. 

Do your research and get a good quality filter/fan/acoustic ducting setup and save some of the worries that can come with this hobby :yep:

Atb 

That's why I'm asking here, cuz it  came to my mind. like if it will give same results as the already made one's, then I don't mind it but if not then I will spend the money and buy ready made to keep my ass safe haha.

Btw what brand would u recommend for a first time grower low cost that will do the job for the time being till I can spare more money 

First time or not, 

buy the best you can afford. 

I used to always use Rhino pro filters,

but in recent years the quality seemed to be less than previously. 

I now use Carboair60 filter to give some piece of mind, 

a CarboAir50 would probably be enough. 

Note: I have also changed from blowing(fan before filter) through the filter(Rhino pro) to sucking(filter first),

as some of the escaping smells I was getting with the Rhino pro could have been due to gaps in the housing for the RVK fan(which I had also gaffer taped). 

I did recently see someone on here,

making a carbon filter out of protein powder type container, 

but no idea how effective it was. 

Atb 

• Like 2

As above you can make one but for what they cost is it worth the risk for your first run.  I got a year from a rhino hobby about £60 and only changed it so I could relax better. Upgraded to a bigger CarboAir, about £130, so costs less than an oz of weed.

As I'm keeping myself in weed now, I only think about how much things cost monthly.  The cost of both those filters will be approx £5 per month over their lifetime.  Which is a cheap way to stop the ass clamping that comes with the hobby!!

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, InMyPocket said:

As above you can make one but for what they cost is it worth the risk for your first run.  I got a year from a rhino hobby about £60 and only changed it so I could relax better. Upgraded to a bigger CarboAir, about £130, so costs less than an oz of weed.

As I'm keeping myself in weed now, I only think about how much things cost monthly.  The cost of both those filters will be approx £5 per month over their lifetime.  Which is a cheap way to stop the ass clamping that comes with the hobby!!

Well noted. :)

Found this on the big fish I know the fan a fellow uk420 member recommend it for being good. What do u think of this carbon filter would they go well for a tent of 60x60x140

Edited by Lost_human
Forgot to add the filter name on big fish: Senua Professional Odour Control Air Carbon Filter Air Scrubber with Activated Charcoal 4", 5", 6", 8", 10", 12" for Hydroponic Plants Grow Tent & Inline Duct Fan (4"/100mm).

I built one many moons ago and run it for years without issue.  4mm pellets I used, but it's a messy old job! :yep: 

• Like 2

You'll never make one as good as a mountain air , i have filled them in a tight spot till i could get one but not the best practice imho but as @botanics said you can do it

Edited by Personunknown
  • Like 2

Thanks all of you, I will do that but any knows a good one on a low budget around £40 max £50 that I can afford and i know it will land me with low quality but I just need to start grow and I can get better after a month or so

18 minutes ago, Lost_human said:

Thanks all of you, I will do that but any knows a good one on a low budget around £40 max £50 that I can afford and i know it will land me with low quality but I just need to start grow and I can get better after a month or so

Have you got the rest of your kit yet? If so, what have you got? If not, work out your budget and then go from there.

Although growing has a high day 1 cost, it pays for itself pretty quick (if you smoke more than occasionally).  If you know how much you smoke you can work out how much you need to grow and plan that way

• Like 4

Just now, InMyPocket said:

Have you got the rest of your kit yet? If so, what have you got? If not, work out your budget and then go from there.

Honestly I just have the tent and light going through with viperspectra p1000. Have the filter and inline fan which is where I'm stuck. Like I want a mid range filter and fan that would do the job for 1 plant to get things started and after I will go from there based on how things go with me .

Rest of the kit had to talk to a friend  told me about compost and nutrition.