New DIY RDWC

Haze_smoker

Just now, stu914 said:

I always use Oxyplus which usually does the trick...:yep:

Is that as an additive? To keep things clean? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Haze_smoker said:

Is that as an additive? To keep things clean? 

Afaik it's just H2O2 nothing added. I use it to dose the res occasionally, clean through the feed pipes, pump and res between crops and

treat root rot - which sometimes works and sometimes not. I know nothing about silver bullet bud, sorry.

42 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

roots look ok to me, and im an expert in root rot, ive had it so many times lol

Agreed but there was just the tiniest brown tinge and he said they were slimy, so they are/were borderline imo.

Best to dose them up to be on the safe(r) side...:yep:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stu914 said:

Afaik it's just H2O2 nothing added. I use it to dose the res occasionally, clean through the feed pipes, pump and res between crops and

treat root rot - which sometimes works and sometimes not. I know nothing about silver bullet bud, sorry.

Agreed but there was just the tiniest brown tinge and he said they were slimy, so they are/were borderline imo.

Best to dose them up to be on the safe(r) side...:yep:

So the silver bullet is silver stabilized h202 IL get some oxyplus today and give the roots a spray with it? IV now got the Res at full dose of the silver bullet. I guess I just hope lol

Tempted to start some more just incase I need to pull these. 

Just now, Haze_smoker said:

silver bullet is silver stabilized h202

This will probably do the trick bud, save you spunking cash on oxyplus.

Pour some into a container neat and swirl the roots in it for a few seconds then back into the system.

2 hours ago, stu914 said:

This will probably do the trick bud, save you spunking cash on oxyplus.

Pour some into a container neat and swirl the roots in it for a few seconds then back into the system.

Needed some more nutes so grabbed some anyway it's a fuk load cheaper than the silver bullet. So I can do it a few times if needed or recommend? 

Thanks for your help bud! 

• Like 1

the oxyplus / h202 doesnt last in the system, as it converts to co2 with the aeration and movement of nutes. 

usually within 24 hrs. 

i used the silver bullet, it wasnt great imho.

im on endrosan 8 now, or i was, before my last lot got pulled. 

i never used to use any of this shit and had some pretty good grows. all my problems seem to have started when i started using this stuff tbh. im going back to using nothing, but the chiller.

keeping things simple usually works best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, badbillybob said:

all my problems seem to have started when i started using this stuff tbh.

I know what you mean bud, I reckon they kill off all the good stuff as well as the bad...

...sledgehammer approach...prevention is always better than cure...:yep:

• Like 1

Im not sure if it's ment to go like a fizzy drink when I drop the roots in?!? Hopefully it means it's killing the bad shit. Nothing to loose on it now I guess! Gna start some more tmra too. @stu914 would you do it again at some point or is it a 1 hit wonder? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Haze_smoker said:

fizzy

Yup fizzy is good...one hit should be enough...:yep:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stu914 said:

Yup fizzy is good...one hit should be enough...:yep:

Am I doseing the Res up for the next few days too? @badbillybob when you say going back to just the chiller is that usaly enough then? Do u need to be doing Res changes more often that once a week. I read on here somewhere that the idrolabs total care is ment to be good but I also read the same for silver bullet and second grow in now fighting with bloody rot! Lol. 

Might have to do some digging on the idrolabs front! More to the point tho if it thrives on poor aeration of the Res or not enuff DO should I be looking into that as the solution to it?!?

9 hours ago, Haze_smoker said:

Am I doseing the Res up for the next few days too? @badbillybob when you say going back to just the chiller is that usaly enough then? Do u need to be doing Res changes more often that once a week. I read on here somewhere that the idrolabs total care is ment to be good but I also read the same for silver bullet and second grow in now fighting with bloody rot! Lol. 

Might have to do some digging on the idrolabs front! More to the point tho if it thrives on poor aeration of the Res or not enuff DO should I be looking into that as the solution to it?!?

as long as the water is moving there will be dissolved oxygen. even a ripple on the surface is enough, so i wouldnt worry about aeration, if your chiller is dropping the water back to the res from a height, splashing the surface you will be fine.

i never used any h202, silver bullet, hydroguard, endrosan etc etc at all up untill about a year ago, and when i did it all started going tits up...BUT...i always made surei bleached everything out before i started, new airline and stones etc etc. never had any issues at all, for years. ...so i dunno, but if it aint broke, why fix it etc. its all to do with temps in the room, light not getting in the res or pots, as much as possible, and dissolved oxygen in the totes/res etc. get that sorted, and theenvironment and they should fly..

• Like 1

Pulled um yesterday. Wasn't growing, all the stems went purple, roots looked really bad and brown n horrible, wen ran them across my hand they pretty much dropped off. 

Ran a really good amount of bleech in water thru the system for 2 days then flushed with plain tap water.. when I refill IL run it with big does of oxyplus for 24hrs then refill n start the magic hopefully. 

Lesson learnt lol.  I know the signs of rot now also the importance of chillers. 

I'm getting new stones to go in there as they were furry n growing shit on them when I turned off the air. 

IV also ordered up a big boy 3000lph pump for the returns and IL use the mj for the chiller now. 

If I get it again IL be putting a UV in the system. 

As always thanks for your help. 

Haze 

• Like 2

ive often thought about using UV to sterilise. ive seen a few yoo tooobers with it and they report no issues.

• Like 1