Newbie, advice needed!

A1Dan

Another little update / opportunity for any helpful thoughts!

The little stunted one seemed to be getting more rot in it's central branches...large.20210710_113033.jpg

So I lopped the whole middle off, leaving this sorry site...

large.20210710_113114.jpg

...kind of think I may as well cut my losses on this one, and just harvest what I can. 

Here's the part I trimmed off this morning... bit rotty, but small amounts looks salvageable!
large.20210710_130335.jpg

Here are the other two... continuing to grow up the outside, but had to remove a couple of little bits of rot from the middle:

large.20210710_123729.jpglarge.20210710_123816.jpg

• Like 2

I'd strongly recommend against salvaging anything from that mouldy bit you snipped, there will be mould spores in the whole lot, not good for your lungs and not enough for any extraction, which would also be ill advised.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HullFeltMashematician said:

I'd strongly recommend against salvaging anything from that mouldy bit you snipped, there will be mould spores in the whole lot, not good for your lungs and not enough for any extraction, which would also be ill advised.

Cheers, was worried that might be the case!

How much can be done to salvage a crop with a small amount of bud rot?  Eg, this plant is fine on all the newer outer stems:

large.20210711_160936.jpg

But the older middle cola is showing signs of a bit of rot:

large.20210711_160930.jpg

Should I just trim the rotten bits off, or would lopping that whole middle bit off be a better idea?  I'm hoping the whole plant doesn't end up a write off!

• Like 1

I'd say look at each bud (all the bud that is on a single stalk coming from the stem) and if it has mould present remove the bud (the whole stalk from stem) and get rid of it.

I personally wouldn't want to be lopping off large bits of a plant at that stage.

Atb

• 1 month later...

OK, bit of an update on this year's crop / request for advice!

I ended up harvesting all three of my first batch in mid-July and salvaging what I could that was rot-free.  Only ended up with a few grams off each, but better than nothing I guess... it's not dried & cured and ready to smoke.

Meanwhile the 2nd batch of three plants I got started in June have done much better.  One never grew to any size and flowered quite early, harvested that one a week or so back and got a few grams, but the other two have both grown really well. 

One of them is about a meter tall and has flowered beautifully... it's looking close to ready and should yield loads more than the others. 

The other has grown even bigger, getting up to around 1.5m and really bushy with loads of branches and leaves, even after a fair bit of pruning.  But it's not flowering at all yet, despite it being 12 weeks since they germinated (both plants are autos - this one is Northern Lights Auto).  It gets little growths between leaf stems which look like they are going to be buds, but they and up just producing more little clusters of leaves. 

I guess there's nothing to be done but to wait, but I was wondering if there's any reason that it could end up not flowering at all?  I guess it could turn out not to be an auto and so will start to flower in a month or so?

Anyway, here's the good one:

large.20210825_161255.jpglarge.20210825_161247.jpglarge.20210825_163756.jpg

And here's the massive-but-bare one:

large.20210825_163804.jpglarge.20210825_161407.jpglarge.20210825_172835.jpglarge.20210825_173809.jpg

Edited by A1Dan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, A1Dan said:

OK, bit of an update on this year's crop / request for advice!

I ended up harvesting all three of my first batch in mid-July and salvaging what I could that was rot-free.  Only ended up with a few grams off each, but better than nothing I guess... it's not dried & cured and ready to smoke.

Meanwhile the 2nd batch of three plants I got started in June have done much better.  One never grew to any size and flowered quite early, harvested that one a week or so back and got a few grams, but the other two have both grown really well. 

One of them is about a meter tall and has flowered beautifully... it's looking close to ready and should yield loads more than the others. 

The other has grown even bigger, getting up to around 1.5m and really bushy with loads of branches and leaves, even after a fair bit of pruning.  But it's not flowering at all yet, despite it being 12 weeks since they germinated (both plants are autos - this one is Northern Lights Auto).  It gets little growths between leaf stems which look like they are going to be buds, but they and up just producing more little clusters of leaves. 

I guess there's nothing to be done but to wait, but I was wondering if there's any reason that it could end up not flowering at all?  I guess it could turn out not to be an auto and so will start to flower in a month or so?

Anyway, here's the good one:

large.20210825_161255.jpglarge.20210825_161247.jpglarge.20210825_163756.jpg

And here's the massive-but-bare one:

large.20210825_163804.jpglarge.20210825_161407.jpglarge.20210825_172835.jpglarge.20210825_173809.jpg

Ur house is gunna smell nice very soon after its finished stretching.a long veg is normal aswell man. Think mine vegged about 12 weeks or more this year