Newbie, advice needed!

A1Dan

Meanwhile, this one I ended up topping off the middle stem, which was producing the weird leaves, and the outer stems seem to be coming on quite well.  Optimistic that could end up with half decent harvest off those.  
I'm wondering about whether any of the lower leaves / buds need pruning to get the best out of the higher ones though... and particularly the little new growths appearing at the nodes, shown in the second photo... should they be whipped off?
large.20210630_162755.jpglarge.20210630_162801.jpg

• Like 2

First plant isn't ready yet. 

You've come this far, 

don't jump too soon :)

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, A1Dan said:

OK, bit of an update / bit more advice needed...

Firstly, the teeny one... it's got to the point where the sugar leaves / stigmas are going brown, and I don't think it's really growing anymore (check out the first photo below compared to the one above, taken nearly three weeks ago).  I'm thinking maybe it's time to cut losses and harvest what I can from this one, but could be wrong?   I think the trichomes look pretty cloudy...

large.20210701_092613.jpglarge.20210630_162719.jpg

From my (limited) experience, I’d give this one a bit longer yet. I have a couple with similar changing of pistils starting to change to orange/brown but giving them a few more days in the sun before chopping the upper half. 

• Like 1

Cheers Shumroom & Aberdeen!

When you say chop off the upper half, do you mean I could harvest that and the lower stems could continue to grow?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A1Dan said:

Cheers Shumroom & Aberdeen!

When you say chop off the upper half, do you mean I could harvest that and the lower stems could continue to grow?

I did that last year in my first ever grow, the lower half was finished and ready to harvest around 2 weeks after I’d taken off the top. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't touch it, it's doing fine, both are.. let them go their own way now

If you can, wait for some amber trichomes, comes after the white which comes after the transparent. Watch very very closely every day for any darkened /blackish leaves or sugar leaves around the buds. It's raining here again...

Delighted to see the new growth in number2...

• Like 1

That second one maybe growing but it's still in reveg. Looking at how long this has been going those plants should have reverted back by now. Well, should be done by now.

Stay away from grizzly seeds' autos by the looks of it.

On 7/3/2021 at 0:24 AM, kittythemonkey said:

I wouldn't touch it, it's doing fine, both are.. let them go their own way now

If you can, wait for some amber trichomes, comes after the white which comes after the transparent. Watch very very closely every day for any darkened /blackish leaves or sugar leaves around the buds. It's raining here again...

Delighted to see the new growth in number2...

Not sure about Amber trichomes, but the leaves are getting very brown in places now...large.20210704_155106.jpg

• Like 1

Looks to me like bud rot mate. Just get rid of the infected area as it will spread. Check for anywhere else that looks the same

• Like 1

Looks and sounds like mold :yep:

Leaves are supposed to be green/ish, 

they sometimes fade as harvest time approaches but once they are brown, 

they are dead. 

Dead leaves are a fantastic place for mold and rot to occur, 

try to remove dying leaves before they die back into the buds. 

As mentioned by previous poster, 

discard any/all affected parts before it spreads and wipes out the entire crop :)

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 3

Wow, thanks again for all the replies, people!

Have got straight onto the bud rot and removed all I can see of it.  I actually ended up cutting off that whole central cola, as about half of it was rotting anyway and the newer outside growth seemed pretty unaffected.  Means I've got a teeny little sample of healthy bud to dry out and cure now!

One of the others also had a very small amount on it's older, central stem, which I've removed too.

Here's the rotten bits I removed...large.20210705_151149.jpg

and here's the teeny bit of good stuff that came off:

large.20210705_151209.jpg

Plant is left looking like this:

large.20210705_150233.jpg

On a more positive note, the second batch seem to be coming along OK so far (or 2 of them do anyway!):

large.20210705_150458.jpg

• Like 1

Anything I should be doing to avoid the bud rot?

Presume dampness is not good.  Weather has been pretty poor again, but been trying to get the greenhouse open and get some air and sun on them whenever possible.

I did notice those central areas where the rot was taking hold were staying particularly moist.  Should I try and thin them out a bit?  You can see in this photo that the middle is quite dense on the other plant that had a bit of rot:
large.20210705_150314.jpg

Edited by A1Dan
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about the bud rot, I’ve been looking out for any signs of mine on a daily basis. The perils of growing in a mostly damp climate.