Newbie, advice needed!

A1Dan

Probably a host of dumb stuff in this, but bear with me, I'm a newbie to growing!

I grew three auto-flowering plants in my little poly-greenhouse last year and all came out pretty good with very little attention other than watering and feeding, and pruning a few of the lower leaves.  Didn't bother topping or anything, they ended up about a meter tall and got about 20g off each... nothing like a proper grow would yield, the colas never bushed up like a proper one, but I was happy enough with my little hobby.

This year I planted earlier, germinating at the end of March / start of April, and seem to have paid the price for the awful UK weather throughout the spring.  Now about 12 weeks in and they're only about 20-30cm tall, with main stems that have barely developed into proper woody ones.  I'm not in any hurry, so leaving them to grow isn't a problem, but...

Firstly, they seem to be flowering, albeit pathetically.  It's like they pretty much skipped the growth stage.  I'm not really clear on this... will Autos just flower after 12 weeks or so, regardless of whether they've managed to grow first, meaning that leaving them to grow further won't really work?

The second issue is weirder... all three plants (and they are all different strains) have started making leaves which don't look like weed.  As they got to the end of seedling stage they were producing proper 5 leaf fans, with serated edges, but their most recent leaves are smooth edged, and are just growing individually, like they are a totally different plant.  WTF is going on there?!

Was going to top and trim this year, but haven't yet because they were so pathetic, don't know if it's too late now?

Photos below (hopefully) showing the size (scissors for scale!) and the weird top leaves... any advice on how to get these babies back on track welcome!

uXlcePYFv5qvoJ08gWGB0J9_tmKhxA3qcpxNIqKD

sLFHLjM3DFNF27KbEUecAbnkO-KsPrexJkmO5yh4

CSmDnxYebXGD1Y1l8hhSwjcVzBCKYnnChekudW2X

OSiQaqqSiItFexRkXfJpEujLmUJR7wSMAjsWatf8

• Like 1

I dont know if its just me but i cant see any pics mate,   try again :yep:    Too hard to speculate / help without pics.   

• Like 1

Just now, OldFord said:

I dont know if its just me but i cant see any pics mate,   try again :yep:    Too hard to speculate / help without pics.   

Bugger, thanks for letting me know.  Must be because they're from my google photos, will try something else!

11 minutes ago, Roofless won said:

Search for this:

How To On Uploading & Posting Photos

Cheers, think I've got it!large.20210610_154907.jpglarge.20210610_154856.jpglarge.20210610_154846.jpglarge.20210610_154838.jpglarge.20210610_154821.jpglarge.20210610_154831.jpg

• Like 4

If I was you I would start some photo periods now , will get a tidy size in a green house if you manage them well.

Youll end up with a gram or two of each of them autos by the looks of it.

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed
  • Like 4

Autos typically flower after a few weeks from popping, regardless of light period.  If they don't have smooth happy growth in those first few weeks before they start flowering then they end up stunted and small, like yours.

However, the weird single leaf growth looks like they're revegging, which is what a photoperiod plant does when it gets put back into a veg light cycle (more than 12hrs light) after it's been in flower for a while.  Autos aren't photosensitive at all, so they shouldn't be doing this.  I've never seen it, and I've grown autos on 24hr and 18/6 light cycle.  This makes me think either these aren't autos, or they've been bred poorly so the auto 'gene' is not strong enough, and they're reacting to the light cycles in ways that they shouldn't.

1 hour ago, crazy-sheep said:

If I was you I would start some photo periods now , will get a tidy size in a green house if you manage them well.

Youll end up with a gram or two of each of them autos by the looks of it.

Agreed.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, OneMorePuff said:

Autos typically flower after a few weeks from popping, regardless of light period.  If they don't have smooth happy growth in those first few weeks before they start flowering then they end up stunted and small, like yours.

However, the weird single leaf growth looks like they're revegging, which is what a photoperiod plant does when it gets put back into a veg light cycle (more than 12hrs light) after it's been in flower for a while.  Autos aren't photosensitive at all, so they shouldn't be doing this.  I've never seen it, and I've grown autos on 24hr and 18/6 light cycle.  This makes me think either these aren't autos, or they've been bred poorly so the auto 'gene' is not strong enough, and they're reacting to the light cycles in ways that they shouldn't.

Agreed.

That's what I'm seeing too.

It's definitely a re-veg, maybe keep them alive and see what happens?

At least there will be a few leaves to smoke.

Better than nothing.

Far better.

I'm going to name 2021

'The Year of The Weirdly seed'

There, it is done.

Be nice to get a really great photo from the thing.

• Like 4

@A1Dan Look like stunted dwarf syndrome for sure, a sad scar of that mischievous May we had, sorry to see this happen to you, what strains are they and which seed company?

Im tinking your options are:

1. Get some more autos on the go now to make up for the stunted plants, 3-4 months you will typically have a harvest, but may well face more mold issues if they go into October.

2. Get some photos instead, but in one of those green houses i would choose a semi-auto or someting on the smaller side, or do some training, but i tink you may struggle with mold in such a small space with a photo. But you the boss of that call.

3 Make a choice large.ras_wink.gif

Me personally, i probably would get some more auto's, they may be better suited for yo space, unless you have more space for photo plant, or both?  If you need some advice on strains just give i a shout :yep:

Peace Out :yinyang:

:bong:

Edited by SubSpecies
  • Like 5

Thanks for all the advice people! Relying to your various points:

They are Blackberry Auto Feminised, Auto-Bomb and Auto OG Kush, from Grizzly Seed Bank.

Fortunately I already have three seedlings on the go that I germinated a week or so back. Was always planning to get two harvests, guess I'm just going to be very reliant on the second!

I've read about re-vegging and was wondering if it could be that. If it is, would I expect them too try and grow fully from this point, as of the previous top buds were all seedlings?

I'll def up them a chance to see what they do. Any thoughts on whether it's worth topping and trimming at this point?

I've noticed over the last couple of days that one has very much bushed out, with equal growth on several side-stems, while the other two remain really thin and only interested in the main stem. You can see this a bit in the photos but had become more obvious since, will take some more. Don't know if that affects how to handle them?

I'm totally onboard with "The year of the weirdly seed":smokin:

• Like 2

Finally uploaded those photos of the two plants taking a wildly different approach to their attempts to reveg...

any thoughts on if either of them could do with trimming/topping welcome.

It looks like the side-stems on the bushy one are growing past the middle one, and they seem to have proper leaves... I'm wondering if the middle one should get chopped and let it focus on the ones that look like they're on the right track? 
large.20210615_120134.jpglarge.20210615_120125.jpg

• Like 1

Anybody know why I can't edit most of my comments btw?  Seems like can I only edit ones I've just posted.

Don't seem to be able to delete photos from my gallery either...

Edited by A1Dan

Time traveller package costs extra :!:

You can only edit your post for so long, 

after that you can just quote the post in question,

then you can edit that way. 

For deleting photos:

go to your gallery and report the photos you wish to be deleted and a mod will take care of that for you. 

Atb 

:yinyang:

On 17/06/2021 at 10:48 PM, A1Dan said:

Finally uploaded those photos of the two plants taking a wildly different approach to their attempts to reveg...

any thoughts on if either of them could do with trimming/topping welcome.

It looks like the side-stems on the bushy one are growing past the middle one, and they seem to have proper leaves... I'm wondering if the middle one should get chopped and let it focus on the ones that look like they're on the right track? 
large.20210615_120134.jpglarge.20210615_120125.jpg

I'd leave them do whatever they're gonna do, they look okay to me, better that I expected. Keep us posted though. Good luck!

• Like 2

OK, bit of an update / bit more advice needed...

Firstly, the teeny one... it's got to the point where the sugar leaves / stigmas are going brown, and I don't think it's really growing anymore (check out the first photo below compared to the one above, taken nearly three weeks ago).  I'm thinking maybe it's time to cut losses and harvest what I can from this one, but could be wrong?   I think the trichomes look pretty cloudy...

large.20210701_092613.jpglarge.20210630_162719.jpg

• Like 2