How are buds my too dry???

Piper.180

OK like the title says my buds have over dried but where did I go wrong? 

I harvested the plants and hung in dark place. Temps in drying room was 18c - 20c

Humidity was 50% - 55%

Had exhaust fan running 

Had circulation fan running but not blowing directly on buds

Checked everyday to see if stems cracked without snapping, 10 days after hanging I got stems cracking without snapping. Trimmed everything and jared it up but RH in jars is between 48% and 55% after 24 hours (different jars have different RH) 

So where did I go wrong??? Obviously I've over dried but how? If I'd of jared them earlier then the stems wouldn't of cracked. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 1

20c is a bit high, I would have left the recirculating fan off too. You should find the moisture from the middle of the bud works its way out.

They're not too bad are they? Remember if you are used to dealer weed it was probably never dry, so don't compare it to that.

Does it smoke ok? 

Edited by KC
sp
  • Like 5

@KC they don't feel too dry to be honest, they don't crumble to dust anyway. Thought it might be hygrometer was off but put it in a empty jar with a 62% humidity pack and it goes to 62%. Not smoked yet as wanted to cure it first but I think I've fucked it. 

My current ambient temperature and humidity outside is 29'c and 75% humidity.
Daytime when it's full sun can go down to 45-50%
After a heavy rain the humidity can go over 90%.
Not much i can do, but i find that after a few days of hanging i need to put them into brown bags to slow the process down and balance them out.

I run aircon too but sometimes it just can't keep up with the temperatures going over 40'c outside.

• Like 1

Drying and curing bud is a real art that gets neglected.  Most important part of the grow for me these days.  You can ruin 4+ months work in a few days, so pay attention. I use shoe boxes as the final stage of my dry.  This means I can put a hygrometer in the box while the moisture is evening out.  When the grow meter hits 58 it's time to jar.  Jarring will bring rh up, as none is escaping, to around 61-63rh.  Perfect. 

Branches snapping is a little late for me. 

long slow dry is the answer with minimal airflow, just enough to prevent the possibility of budrot.

i too, dont dry till they snap, if the stems snap, for me thats too dry. 

if it concerns you, just throw a fan leaf in each jar, the buds will soak up some of the moisture off it in a day or so, then remove. 

• Like 4

is drying bud in a cardboard box connected to a grow tent so the extraction eeks out of the box to the tent, a good or bad idea?

slightly off topic guys I know

mysticriver  

• Like 3

I been watching a guy on YouTube and he uses a humidifier for the first 2 days of drying so it slows things down abit. This is my plan come harvest, my rh is 30% outside :banned:

Cheers 

9 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

is drying bud in a cardboard box connected to a grow tent so the extraction eeks out of the box to the tent, a good or bad idea?

It works 

you can add a piece of orange peel to your jar to get some moisture back,but best check it after a few hours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mysticriver said:

slightly off topic guys I know

Exactly how i dry.
I've made a rack out of a bunch of pvc piping and plenty of t joints.
Fits inside a large cardboard box that i make some holes in.

bit of ducting going from that into my tent.
No other fans or anything inside the box.

Has worked for me like this for 10+ years.

If its not a large cardboard box, then it's a tent.

• Like 1

I too have an inline drying box between outdoors and grow room. The air is pulled in from the fan in the grow room. It works perfectly and my buds are generally dry after 7 days. I tend to take them out after 6 days and then just air them on a tray for a day. It works no matter what the weather outside. Maybe I'm just lucky or more likely a steady flow of gentle air across the buds is good enough, no matter what the temps.

See thats the problem with the inline boxes. They tend to dry stuff out too fast because there is too much air movement. 

6/7 days is too fast really imo. 2 weeks is much better if it can be slowed to that. Even a bit longer if you can. 

• Like 4

Crack but doesn't snap is just a rule of thumb IME, if tou have smaller/looser buds its often way too dry, I second the brown bags/shoe boxes for sure, leave them hanging to dry them a bit and then brown bags to even everything out and slow it down. My friend dries his out in like 3-4 days with a dehumidifier, and then starts smoking it straight away, goes against everything I've ever been taught, but comes out fine/better than most street weed, so don't stress, you haven't ruined it, its still weed.