Honest Advice Needed

MindSoup

2 minutes ago, HazyDaze said:

I never meant do new strains only, I meant  do your homework and choose solid strains whatever that maybe, and not go by strains of old just because...

research  first. 

It's simple, really. 

Yeah I did a fair bit of research on CO, it has all good reviews on grow diaries, bar one outdoor first time grower, but research only gets you so far when you're relying the anecdotal evidence put forward by (usually stoned) strangers. Hence just asking DP themselves, if they say I'll be fine it will settle my worries better than anyone else could, and if turns out they lied (definitely not saying they would) then I would find out the hard way but at least would know to avoid in the future.  

I aint seen a full blown hermi for years but i do get the odd plant throwing nannas which i pick off but they never seem to pollinate anything if I miss any, i have had headache from nanna-ed weed before dont know if it was pollen or over fert, but have heard smoking weed with pollen can cause headache, dont know how much truth to it,  anyone else experience this? 

i would do another strain, DP have a bit of a rep for hermies. 

its basically lazy breeding imho

ive suffered a few, (orange bud, gluhermie og, blueberry, to name 3 off the top of my head) to the extent that i hardly touch their strains these days.

i'll leave it at that, dont want to upset the sponsors too much

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MindSoup said:

Yeah I did a fair bit of research on CO, it has all good reviews on grow diaries, bar one outdoor first time grower, but research only gets you so far when you're relying the anecdotal evidence put forward by (usually stoned) strangers. Hence just asking DP themselves, if they say I'll be fine it will settle my worries better than anyone else could, and if turns out they lied (definitely not saying they would) then I would find out the hard way but at least would know to avoid in the future.  

Not being funny, but they are hardly likely to admit thier strains are herm prone, are they?

i would just pick something more stable

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

I hear just as many horror stories about the new genetics as well TBH

and i bet they are all fems?

Just now, badbillybob said:

Not being funny, but they are hardly likely to admit thier strains are herm prone, are they?

i would just pick something more stable

Well if it is, and they don't, then 3 months from now they'll have done over one of the more active/ vocal members of this forum, which anyone can see wouldn't be the best move. Or this could be a really good opportunity for them to cast of the reputation and regain some lost support. My guess is there won't be a response (which would probably say a lot as it stands) and I will go with some blue cindy instead, but I want to give them a chance to have a say instead of just dismissing them altogether. 

• Like 1

Just now, ratdog said:

and i bet they are all fems?

Most of them I'd guess, but there's a sort of blanket "all new US strains are unstable hermi prone hacks to jump on the back of the new hype strain" trend as well. I think things have started to move so fast its impossible to keep track and now some mums are even hermis etc. Again this all hear say, rumours, something I usually take with a handful of salt. I'm by no means an expert on the matter, just an anxious grower who spends far to much time doing nothing on his own lol

• Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

Most of them I'd guess

i just had two self seeded plants in my last crop, two different strains by different breeders

i'm going back to play with regs again

Yeah I'm currently trying to work my head around regs. If you look at the related thread in the strain talk section you'll see what I'm talking about (remember what i said about spending too much time on my own doing nothing lol). 

I've done  lots and lots  of varieties over the years  and how many herms have I had from regular seed.... 

None that I can recall, I've had a couple of nanas at most on a few vars... 

A few late nanas doesn't make a herm.

You want solid, go with regs. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, HazyDaze said:

I've done  lots and lots  of varieties over the years  and how many herms have I had from regular seed.... 

None that I can recall, I've had a couple of nanas at most on a few vars... 

A few late nanas doesn't make a herm.

You want solid, go with regs. 

Yeah I think that is finally sinking into this thick skull of mine lol, need to ignore the inner control freak, go outside and smell the roses so to speak. I guess if I grew in smaller pots I could just pop a few more beans and feed the males to the worm farm, at least then they're not going to waste, I'm not big on ending life without purpose.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kickstand said:

I aint seen a full blown hermi for years but i do get the odd plant throwing nannas which i pick off but they never seem to pollinate anything if I miss any, i have had headache from nanna-ed weed before dont know if it was pollen or over fert, but have heard smoking weed with pollen can cause headache, dont know how much truth to it,  anyone else experience this? 

I've definitely had some ill effects from pollen/seedy bud in the past, but sometimes its fine, always ruins the taste though. 

• Like 1

On 08/04/2021 at 5:45 PM, Kickstand said:

i have had headache from nanna-ed weed before

I remember a Buddhas sister I grew years ago would throw nanas late on in flower (not femmed) and a jacks cleanerx pursang (not femmed) that would do it at about wk 7, they didn't give anyone headaches but they'd give long term smokers a whitey. Could be a coincidence, but neither of them were normal in terms of mongyness.

The only reason i mention they were not femmed is I think people are too quick to blame feminised seeds for hermying, when any cannabis plant is going to want to reproduce. It's nature isn't it.

On 08/04/2021 at 6:26 PM, badbillybob said:

In my experience the Dutch Passion representative on here @DutchPassionTony will say whatever will sell their seeds.

I had a favourite DP strain that I had bought multiple large packs of prior to 2004 or so. When I bought it again and it was mediocre rubbish I asked on here if it was definitely the same genetics and they insisted it was so I bought it again. I even got a relative to visit DP in Amsterdam while they were there to pick up a fresh pack direct from the source. Suffice to say it was still mediocre rubbish.

Since then I have learned that DP moved from NL to Spain in the early 2000s and either changed their seed supplier or just lost a load of genetics.

So by insisting they were the same genetics when they weren't they've effectively defrauded me of a load of money, hundreds of pounds in total not to mention all the time and resources to grow it out each time. This is the sort of thing that only happens in an unregulated industry so all we have to go on is reputation and DP have basically destroyed theirs.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

In my experience the Dutch Passion representative on here @DutchPassionTony will say whatever will sell their seeds.

I had a favourite DP strain that I had bought multiple large packs of prior to 2004 or so. When I bought it again and it was mediocre rubbish I asked on here if it was definitely the same genetics and they insisted it was so I bought it again. I even got a relative to visit DP in Amsterdam while they were there to pick up a fresh pack direct from the source. Suffice to say it was still mediocre rubbish.

Since then I have learned that DP moved from NL to Spain in the early 2000s and either changed their seed supplier or just lost a load of genetics.

So by insisting they were the same genetics when they weren't they've effectively defrauded me of a load of money, hundreds of pounds in total not to mention all the time and resources to grow it out each time. This is the sort of thing that only happens in an unregulated industry so all we have to go on is reputation and DP have basically destroyed theirs.

Well that's a shame, so many nefarious types in this game, completely undermining what cannabis smoking is about. I've decided to not just bin the CO, but she will be watched like a hawk, when i get the money I'll get a pack of the white labels CO regs and have another go.