Honest Advice Needed

MindSoup

I've got a Californian Orange Fem, 1 week old. I'll be honest I've been warned it's likely to hermi on me, especially as I will be training and pruning them. I rely heavily on my own supply for pain relief so I really can't afford to risk losing a crop. So I'm hoping you can soothe my worries. 

Now feel free to reply in private if you want, but please be honest, should I pick another strain? I'm happy to proceed with the grow/dairy if you're confident I won't be chasing male flowers but if this particular strain is prone to going hermi now would be the time to say. Saves me (publicly) finding out in 3 months time.  

At this point I'm keeping an open mind and am more than willing to follow your guidance. I picked The DP version of CO specifically because you're a sponsor of this site and I felt I could put trust in your integrity. I understand that all Fems are more likely to hermi than regs, what I want to know is if DP CO is particularly bad. Especially when trained. 

Just now, MindSoup said:

I'll be honest I've been warned it's likely to hermi on me, especially as I will be training and pruning them.

Thats a risk that present in any plant but I've never had anything go hermie on me because of that.. never. Unless the quality of fem breeding has gone down that much old vars like Cali Orange are now suffering as well, then I think you'll be safe on that front, but otherwise thats a problem with fem seeds on the whole, not just specifically this one.

Just now, MindSoup said:

please be honest, should I pick another strain?

Maybe, if you actually want to get stoned lol

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

Thats a risk that present in any plant but I've never had anything go hermie on me because of that.. never. Unless the quality of fem breeding has gone down that much old vars like Cali Orange are now suffering as well, then I think you'll be safe on that front, but otherwise thats a problem with fem seeds on the whole, not just specifically this one.

Maybe, if you actually want to get stoned lol

Well there's a few people on other parts of the web saying they have direct experience of DP OC going hermy very easily from stress, and I would think chopping of branches and topping would qualify for that. I'd rather hear it from the horses mouth though, let these guys have a chance to respond to those accusations. I know in the early days of fems hermis where a big issue accross the board and sometimes old reputations die hard. 

Its for daytime smoke, and for when my GF wants to have a toke (very occasionially), so low potency is actually a bonus in this situation. Sometimes its just nice to have a smoke and not forget your name lol

Don't pick any strains based on old smokes you once loved,  because you'll be dissapointed. 

Look for something solid by looking through people's diaries, search online for solid  info  and then choose  reliable  consistent plants and  you won't go far wrong. 

If reports of herms pop up  on  searches often then avoid. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, HazyDaze said:

Don't pick any strains based on old smokes you once loved,  because you'll be dissapointed. 

Look for something solid by looking through people's diaries, search online for solid  info  and then choose  reliable  consistent plants and  you won't go far wrong. 

This is solid advice...when I started growing I found all manner of bonkers strains guaranteeing high THC and big yields but struggled to find diaries or reports, I thought I was going to be the person who stumbled on the next best strain!!! Well I didn't but I learnt a lot and now only go for proven reliable strains that you see great diaries for.

I wouldn't believe all reports on the web though, from my experience (limited) the hermie comes from a problem or shock in the environment more than anything or I might be wrong. 

If you have a good stash and can afford to run the risk of a hermie and binning it go for it but if not I always believe if in doubt chuck it out and try something else. I can recommend the G-13 Labs Blue Cindy, just grown one out and its delightful and responded well to topping and LST but the smell is DELICIOUS!

• Like 1

It's usually stress during flower in the form of light leaks during the dark period that sometimes cause hermis. 

I think your over thinking things and worrying too much on this tbh. 

That said, if your reliant on your supply for medical reasons then putting all your hope and effort into 1 plant is a bit silly imo. 

No matter what strain it is, with a single plant you got 1 chance to get it right and anything that goes wrong (not just herms but, mildew/mites/pythium/environmental stresses/botrytis etc etc) can potentially wipe out your entire harvest/crop. 

Even if space is an issue I would still try and do a minimum of 2 plants, from a security / legal risk the difference between 1 plant and 2 is fuck all so your better off covering your bets imho. 

2p

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, HazyDaze said:

I hear just as many horror stories about the new genetics as well TBH, and theres always someone saying x strain is the best and then another saying its the worst, its hard to rely on old anecdotal experience when it comes from a reputable source let alone all the complete fabrications, I naively thought picking a strain from a site sponsor would be a fairly safe bet. I did do a fair bit of searching on this strain but mistakenly didn't add the term hermy so missed the posts about it. I now don't have time to spend days researching, I need to decide ASAP if i need another strain and if so what that is. Have started a thread looking for alternatives in the strain talk thread. Hopefully someone from DP can give some real input. 

Just now, Dodgee said:

It's usually stress during flower in the form of light leaks during the dark period that sometimes cause hermis. 

I think your over thinking things and worrying too much on this tbh. 

That said, if your reliant on your supply for medical reasons then putting all your hope and effort into 1 plant is a bit silly imo. 

No matter what strain it is, with a single plant you got 1 chance to get it right and anything that goes wrong (not just herms but, mildew/mites/pythium/environmental stresses/botrytis etc etc) can potentially wipe out your entire harvest/crop. 

Even if space is an issue I would still try and do a minimum of 2 plants, from a security / legal risk the difference between 1 plant and 2 is fuck all so your better off covering your bets imho. 

2p

Definitely over thinking everything atm, hence asking for outside input. I appreciate your level headedness on this tbh. Not a single plant grow, just only one plant of each strain, I've been a keen gardener since I was able to walk, new to indoors but not canna so I'm fairly confident in my ability to grow a plant and keep it healthy, but a hermi can fuck up a 50 plant grow just as easy as a 2 plant grow and its something that you don't really need to know about outside. Sasy was saying the topping and training has a good chance of causing it, do you think thats pessimistic/ not necessarily true? If I gave them a good week or more of 18hrs after any training could that help? 

5 minutes ago, Kush Lover said:

hermie comes from a problem or shock in the environment

That was my experience when 4 different strains all produced a tiny bit of hermie nanas after a heatwave that I didn't get on top of.

Cuttings and seeds from those plants were all female on subsequent grows.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kush Lover said:

G-13 Labs Blue Cindy

Love a blueberry cross, always wanted to try C99. Thanks for the recommendation, honestly looks like the perfect strain for me on a few different levels, fuck the GF she can deal with the stitch ups if she doesn't want to put the effort in lol

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

@MindSoup It's great I wish I had more and will be doing 3 in the next one. Unfortunately I bailed on my grow diary, newbie freak out and lost momentum but have a search around there are some good reports on it. Still got a while for it to stop curing but its a good uplifting high and tasty.

Yeah looks lovely mate. Like i said on the other thread, I'm gunna give DP some time to respond as they deserve to have an input and I would still trust what they have to say. Time is of the essence however, so if I haven't heard anything by the morning I'll be ordering some Blue Cindy for sure, it looks that good the excitement of trying it will help me stop wandering if I've just thrown out a once in a lifetime keeper.

@MindSoup I hear you dude but don't waste time worrying about what could of been! It could of grown out without being a hermy but could of also not been the pheno you are after, so many variables especially if doing just 1 plant of a strain.

No offence to DP but I think the once in a life time keeper is more likely with some of the breeders on here which is why I think I am now up for a hunt in something like urgog.

• Like 1

Yeah I need to convince someone local with a bigger space to find some ugorg mums and give me clones.

36 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

I hear just as many horror stories about the new genetics as well TBH, and theres always someone saying x strain is the best and then another saying its the worst, its hard to rely on old anecdotal experience when it comes from a reputable source let alone all the complete fabrications, I naively thought picking a strain from a site sponsor would be a fairly safe bet. I did do a fair bit of searching on this strain but mistakenly didn't add the term hermy so missed the posts about it. I now don't have time to spend days researching, I need to decide ASAP if i need another strain and if so what that is. Have started a thread looking for alternatives in the strain talk thread. Hopefully someone from DP can give some real input. 

I never meant do new strains only, I meant  do your homework and choose solid strains whatever that maybe, and not go by strains of old just because...

research  first. 

It's simple, really. 

• Like 2