Cannabis and interaction with other drugs

DANZIG

Sorry if I'm being off topic, just a drunk freeform rant about meds :rolleyes:

But what does my fucking head in is that I'm bipolar, have had a fair few proper manic psychotic episodes, and many more suicidal depressive episodes. I drink far too much, I admit that. I also take a fair amount of painkillers, cos my back is in bits. I've got Zapain prescribed, and sometimes I top them up with iburofen and codeine from Boots. But I digress, my head is mostly in bits and the fucking shrinks prescribe me antipsychotics, all of which have ompletely fucked up my head. Some have just been a bit bad, some have been an utter nightmare, none of them have ever helped (OK I tell a lie, lithium did help, but it stole my emotions :sadwalk: ). To be honest all I really want is to chill my head out and get some sleep. I'd prefer to be prescribed benzos. OK, they are addictive, but I'm going to be on some sort of psychiatric drugs for the rest of my life anyway, can't you give me ones that don't fuck my head up and make me feel a bit better ?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bird said:

Not trying to worry you IT, but I was just reading the wiki page on clonazapam & it says that it is not suitable for long term treatment of epilepsy due to onset of tolerance, just for acute management.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonazepam

You might want to discuss that with your neurologist and ask what his long term plans are for treatment when you see him.

Thanks, I have found some of you posts about your treatment very helpful.

Thanks for the info dude :) I know already it shouldn't be used for much longer than a month really, ratdog told me that in November when I first started taking it. When me and my neurologist was discussing meds, I was telling him I don't like the side effects of pretty much all anticonvulsants, (make me tired, bit anxious and a bit short tempered than I really am or would be without meds). He put me on lamotrigine in October 2015 which is much better but was quite a bitch getting used to. Don't even go there with sleepless nights, sensitivity to the sun and very weird appetite going up and down all the time, mainly not feeling like eating. I finally got over all that crap and now feel like each day is the same again instead of things swinging from side to side, but took a very long time. Partial seizures were happening pretty often, and last summer I had 4 grand mals busted my nose, black eyes and bangs to the head, I reckon it was the hot weather/bright sun not going well with the meds that caused them, or just maybe the epilepsy itself I'm not really sure. He said to increase the lamotrigine last November, I just said "no way I aren't going through all that again when getting used to a higher dose", and the bright sun is on its way so definitely a no lol. So he suggested adding a bit of clonazepam (a last resort) and then I said "but they're addictive aren't they? they're a benzo. He said "yes and no, they aren't as abusable as the other ones", so I said "is that because of the long half life of it then compared to the harder hitting faster ones?" so he said yes. So I mentioned about the physical dependence then he didn't say much lol, just said you should be ok it's a low dose. I know these drugs a fair bit myself and made him aware I do too. He was a bit surprised what I know about medication/drugs lol. @arnoldlayne don't go dropping the clonazepam too quick, I think you'll already know but benzo withdrawal can cause seizures if you stop/taper too quick.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Vitamin D and probiotic in the morning. One Valerian root extract tablet (400mg) half hour before bed. Plus the lovely herb (small doses)

Just WOW! What a difference. Fuck the quacks and the shit that doesn't work (for me anyway) I just discovered a love for Naturopathy. 

I'm managing to eat a decent amount. Have hardly any nausea and best of all since taking Valerian I've been sleeping for a full six to seven hours straight, proper refreshing sleep. Has helped with pain and spasticity too. So relieved and grateful to mother nature :)

Edited by Dizzy1
  • Like 4

With ref to the topic title may I just say that I think weed and Levodopa may interact in strange ways? I underline the word "may". I have noticed that whilst Levodopa works in smoothing out motor symptoms of Parkinsons Disease (for me, I hasten to add), smoking weed on top of Levodopa increases my balance problems, and gives me serious instability (physical) problems. In short, and typical for Parkinsons, my balance goes to shit. Given the improvements else-wise, I think this a small price to pay. But some may find it alarming if they have not had Parkinsons related balance issues before.

I have things to counter the balance problem (quadro-pod walking aid), so it is not a big thing for me. Smoothed out movements are worth a balance issue any day! No smooth, no skin-up! Not good.

'Nuff said. Enjoy your meds, everyone!

17 hours ago, Dizzy1 said:

Vitamin D and probiotic in the morning. One Valerian root extract tablet (400mg) half hour before bed. Plus the lovely herb (small doses)

Just WOW! What a difference. Fuck the quacks and the shit that doesn't work (for me anyway) I just discovered a love for Naturopathy. 

I'm managing to eat a decent amount. Have hardly any nausea and best of all since taking Valerian I've been sleeping for a full six to seven hours straight, proper refreshing sleep. Has helped with pain and spasticity too. So relieved and grateful to mother nature :)

+1 On the Valerian root mate I used it a lot when I gave up the booze,I'm surprised more people on here don't use it

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2017 at 10:57 AM, Jimboo said:

+1 On the Valerian root mate I used it a lot when I gave up the booze,I'm surprised more people on here don't use it

A friend suggested it. I initially didn't read the directions properly on the pack. Was taking half when feeling anxious as I'm a well known light weight with medicine, natural or otherwise. Definitely helped with anxiety. Only find I need one tablet before bed and it's enough to aid sleep and any anxiety. Good job because it can be expensive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dizzy1 said:

A friend suggested it. I initially didn't read the directions properly on the pack. Was taking half when feeling anxious as I'm a well known light weight with medicine, natural or otherwise. Definitely helped with anxiety. Only find I need one tablet before bed and it's enough to aid sleep and any anxiety. Good job because it can be expensive.

Its foul stuff I started with just making tea with the roots(before online shopping)It used to stink the house out for days.You sound like you are taking tablets I found the capsules more effective have you tried those?

• Like 1

Yeah. They're those great big, stinky, green torpedoes! They are doing the job though, so see no reason to change apart from the smell. Thankfully doesn't seem to be making my trumps any worse! lol

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

fairly recent research:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/neurology/seizures/67107

Cannabidiol May Boost Blood Levels of Common Seizure Drugs (Open-label study shows interactions with 5 epilepsy meds)

may be of interest to those of us who take an anti-seizure med.  Note that they are using Epidiolex for a CBD source.

Afaik the effect is not major (ie equivalent to taking a numerically different dose of medication) .

(primary source:  http://doi.wiley.com/10.1111/epi.13852  )

Edited by Bird

On 25/03/2017 at 11:37 PM, indicatoker420 said:

@ratdog what dose did you start with when you was doing it daily? I think my daily dose is OK and shouldn't be too much of a shit time tapering off if I ever do. But I could be wrong, and it boils down to the individual a lot as well, like everything really.

Hello mate, sorry I missed this. not sure on dose as it was some other benzo. 

I`ve been clean for nearly 5 months now, feel soo much better, never touching that stuff again. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ratdog said:

Hello mate, sorry I missed this. not sure on dose as it was some other benzo. 

I`ve been clean for nearly 5 months now, feel soo much better, never touching that stuff again. 

Good man :yep:. No worries about missing the post I think we all do it sometimes mate lol . Atm I'm now taking .5mg clonazepam twice a day. The neurologist even suggested swapping the lamotrigine for lyrica, so I would be taking lyrica (pregabilin) and clonazepam at the same time. No thanks lol

• Like 1

On 24/03/2017 at 3:55 PM, ratdog said:

I`m not surprised,  that`s roughly equivalent to 20mgs of valium.

is that true @ratdog, 1mg clonazepam is the same as 20mg valium? that seems an awful lot, my birds on 2mg clon tabs a night (she doesnt take them every night though only if so uncomfortable/painful that she cant sleep)..im now concerned about her driving the next day early to work. ETA how strong are valium compared to diazepam any idea?

Edited by Pot Committed

59 minutes ago, Pot Committed said:

how strong are valium compared to diazepam any idea?

they are both the same thing mate, vallium is just a brand name....

• Like 2

Jesus, so 2mg clonaz is like 40mg diaz? thats scared the shit out of me and her, i hate clonaz, i get diaz on script only 5mg but i only use if i have an attack coming on. Going to have to have a serous chat about these clonaz.

1 hour ago, Pot Committed said:

Jesus, so 2mg clonaz is like 40mg diaz? thats scared the shit out of me and her, i hate clonaz, i get diaz on script only 5mg but i only use if i have an attack coming on. Going to have to have a serous chat about these clonaz.

I'm not sure mate, iv never taken them, after a quick look on google it would seem they are benzos but they have different effects to valium, I don't think its worth abusing clonaz from what iv read as they don't hit you like valium do, some people would be out there faces on 5 blues but if you took the same mg of clonaz you wouldn't be stoned, there's quite a lot of info if you type into google "valium v clonazepam".

• Like 1