It's not just a washing up bowl...

stu914

18 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

you've convinced me......right,im sold on it, ....

Hi Billy...:rofl:...saves arguing about the 'gap'.:wassnnme:..:rofl:...welcome to my world of madness...:wacko:

That nft looks deepish, not sure if it's enough... if not, the mesh pots can stand on the table, they don't have to hang.

If that's the case you could use correx it's not load bearing and as long as the light's prevented from reaching the roots it will work fine

Rings are preferable as the 't' pieces can piss out the sides of the pot missing the plant entirely. Easy enough to make, three 't's and some 4mm pipe.

You can use any size pots you like, I just prefer the 4" as they use minimal pebbles and much easier to clean up after harvest...

;)

• Like 3

Hey @stu914,

im just setting this up. 

For the feeding are you using the 15 mins every 4 hours for seedlings too mate?

i was gonna go with 0.6 ec to start with, ph to 5.8?

mine are just in root riots with a little bit of root out, but i thought i might as well use them. 

does this sound about right to you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badbillybob said:

15 mins every 4 hours

Hi billy,

When they first go in and there's very little root coming out the cube I go 15mins once a day and build up from there, twice then four etc.

Soon as there's a couple of inches of root then up to 6 times a day, 15 mins every half hour in flower...:yep:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Hi billy,

When they first go in and there's very little root coming out the cube I go 15mins once a day and build up from there, twice then four etc.

Soon as there's a couple of inches of root then up to 6 times a day, 15 mins every half hour in flower...:yep:

thanks mate, i'll knock it back a bit then. there is maybe an inch out of the cubes so i will risk twice a day, if its too much i can always cut it back. just waiting for the water to heat up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

if its too much i can always cut it back.

It's easy to spot if you overdo it, classic droopy overwatering leaves...:yep:

• Like 1

the system is up and running,

i zip tied the lines to the rim of the net pots.

There isnt a huge amount of pressure, but there is easily enough for this to soak the hydroton. 

i was watching it soak them, and after about half an hour wondered why it wasnt switching off. 

Turns out that even after 20 odd years of using timers i still forget if "out" segment is on or off........DOH!!

still, they will be well soaked, and im looking forward to seeing how they do

• Like 1

On 11/04/2021 at 8:44 AM, badbillybob said:

its up and running. no issues .....

Looking good billy, I see you've had to back off on the feed frequency, they take a little time to get going but once those roots are out the pots you can let them have it.

I've just put a couple of General's Daughter clones in and they'll only get once a day for a while yet.

The flower room is coming along nicely, 17 days in and the stretch is nearly finished. No training just a support mesh going on later.

Two scope 275's from dialaduck currently 200w each about 14" above the tallest plant...

EC through the roof at 1.8/9 with no signs of burn or toxicity....they're luvin' it...

large.SSCN1108.JPG

Four original plants after the male GD was culled, I've dropped three Do si Dos and a Pure kush in the spaces,

only small but they'll produce something and finish same time as the others.

General's Daughter (topped once)

large.SSCN1112.JPG

Malteezerz (nearest, supercropped main cola)

Green Crack (far right...I've left this taller as it's nearer the edge of the light)

large.SSCN1111.JPG

...and finally...

The roots this system kicks out...default_thumbsup.gif

large.SSCN1109.JPG

:oldtoker:

• Like 6

Hi Stu, i have been checking on these daily, ph is 5.7 ec is 0.6, which should be ok, but a couple of them look grim, all curled over, classic over watering signs, so i pulled one out to have a look at the cube. it was saturated, so ive given it a squeeze and re-buried it. i know, ......im a fuckwit.....

Looking at them, it must have had too much water when i was on 4 feeds a day. might go down to one, what do you think? roots are about an inch out of the cube but there isnt a huge amount of them so far.

im back to 2 feeds a day  now and i think i will go out and angle the drippers further down, rather than in towards the plants. so its pointing more to the bottom of the cube.

any suggestions?

do you use the rot riot cubes or what do you use to start then in, out of interest??

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

rot riot cubes

Hi billy,

I use rootit cubes, not much different to root riot. I'm glad to see you're getting the hang of it.

Can't take out,an overwatered plant give it a squeeze and put it back in soil/coco now can you?  :wassnnme:   (hydro 1 others 0)...:rofl:

Ignore top growth for now and concentrate on the roots, once they get a decent structure and you are able to feed more often, they will fly.

EC can be much higher in this system (as I've only just discovered) so once there's fresh leaf growth you can start to push it.

Nice touch figuring out to re-position the feed spouts to avoid the cube, sorry I forget to mention that little tweak.

If you can pop a pic up I can advise on watering frequency bud...:yep:

• Like 4

ok then, but brace yerself.......:)

here they are, starting with the better looking one. im kinda tempted to bin them but i'll see what you say first, maybe they are savable

large_14.JPGlarge_15.JPGlarge_13.JPGlarge_12.JPGlarge_11.JPG

pretty grim eh, here they are when i was on 2 feeds a day, they deffo looked better. ive put it back to 2 a day and squeezed out the rest of the cubes, lets see what they are made of.

the before pics below

large.7.JPGlarge.6.JPGlarge.5.JPGlarge.4.JPG

• Like 5

As I said before, as long as the roots are ok then concentrate on them. There just isn't the structure to support top growth...yet...

Once there is they'll be fine...mine look just as shitty atm, if not worse, I'll grab a pic later and you'll see what I mean.

• Like 1

@badbillybob

Here ya go bud, these are clones so a little bigger but the roots are probably about the same size as yours,

only went in yesterday so still recovering from any shock, once a day feed for now.

Both General's Daughter intending to keep these for mums.

large.SSCN1118.JPG.c81a6f0b5adf6951f72944306c2cbed8.JPG

These others are in Lightmix destined for my growbud who's still in the dark ages and growing in mud...:rofl:

large.SSCN1107.JPG

• Like 3

@stu914

ok mate, i will persevere.

ill keep it at  2 feeds a day for a couple of days and if no improvement i will go down to 1 a day, see if they perk up. 

• Like 1

Hi Stu, i have had them in now for 8 or 9 days, they still look grim mate. they look the same as they did a week ago.

ive been feeding them once a day for the past 4 days but they havnt moved in size or health.

i know you said it takes a bit of time to get the roots established, but surely not this long ? i dont know how long i can wait,.....how long are you usually before the roots get a shift on?

ive got nothing out of the bottom of the pots at all?

Edited by badbillybob