First cuttings advice

10 minutes ago, NezA said:

I'm only sharing the way I've done it and achieved a 100% success rate so far. As long as people follow a method they know works then what the method is doesn't really matter. 

This :yep:

I will probably try a few under the par+ but will be purely experimental I will have backup clones taken under a less intense light like ;)

Edited by McHazy
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, fatboy77 said:

About to try some aeroponics, see if I can root some small trees. 

I use a clone x type thing, its fucking excellent. With a 4 tube t5 light you can have roots in 7 days and spaghetti in 10 days :thumsup:. More light the better in my books

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, NezA said:

@jokey86 they need light mate despite how we think nutes are food plants feed on light no light eventually = dead plants but more light demands more from the plant's metabolism. With no roots to support it you can put too much demand on a cutting. However with high enough humidity the pressure for the plant to transpire (which requires roots) will be non existent so @McHazy probably has a point regarding light intensity.

I'm only sharing the way I've done it and achieved a 100% success rate so far. As long as people follow a method they know works then what the method is doesn't really matter. You need to be careful when mixing and matching techniques if you haven't yet learned what the effect of each part of the method does to the plant. It's better to follow 1 persons entire technique if it gets results even if you don't understand why it gets results yet.

Thanks for explanation mate never knew that, been reading all the diff types of ways ppl do cuttings and that's  what's throwing me with it not quite sure what to do well there now on day 11 and wilting more  and still have no clue what they need lol think  I need to do as u said pick one method and stick to it instead of mix and matching just gona see long these last and try again nxt time round don't wana keep chopping into them for cuts  been trying to upload a pic of them but for life of me can't remember how to lol

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

Next time take the cuts in veg not flower. No point putting extra strain on them...

I disagree based on personal experience, my cuts 10 days into flower root faster than cuts taken in veg. Later than that would be a ball ache though I reckon. 

1 hour ago, fatboy77 said:

I disagree based on personal experience, my cuts 10 days into flower root faster than cuts taken in veg. Later than that would be a ball ache though I reckon. 

gotta admit, this one is new to me, anyone else seen the same?

I would have advised cuts need to come in veg

Many anecdotal reports of clones taken in early flower rooting faster :yep:

I thought it was fairly common knowledge tbh. 

I have a mate who swears by it, done it myself a few times too though I usually prefer to take the growing tip in veg, topping and cloning simultaneously. 

I read an article years ago saying how a clone from the main stem made a better mother plant in the long term, again something to do with the presence of a certain hormone but I forget which one now :yinyang:

• Like 3
15 hours ago, NezA said:

I've only ever taken 2 sets of clones but I have a 100% strike rate doing the following

When you take your cuts leave 3 nodes, cut the 3rd node at a 45 angle exactly on the node trim any fans or new growth that remains at the 3rd node.

Gently scrape the knife against the stem to remove the outer membrane for about the bottom 1cm. Dip the cut into clonex covering the 1cm you stripped completely then pop it straight into a prepped Jiffy pellet. Make sure you cut down any large fans to prevent excessive transpiration. Put everything in a sealed prop.

This last part is very very important do not open the prop. stick it under the shade of a larger plant or put some paper on the top of the prop and forget they exist for 10 days. 

I totally agree with NEzA. You won’t go wrong this way. Give them a spray with water or the clonex spray if there’s no condensation on the roof of the propagator .... not touching them is key. It can take up to 21 days to see new roots. Just be patient. 
Don’t over soak your medium. I tend to use rock wool cubes and I shake the excess water out.. 

Over soaking and over spraying can lead to the stem rotting.

hope this helps. 
peace.

• Like 1

Yeah it does happen (the weird reveggy thing). 

Some strains are just faster to switch than others I suppose. 

Also be sure to put the clones under 24hr lighting not 18/6. To be certain they flip back to veg as quickly as possible :yinyang:

• Like 3

Having a plant have to revert from flower back to veg while simmultaneously having to start growing roots isn't going to make life easier for the cutting, is it?
I'm sure there's aneecdoctal evidence for them rooting faster, just like there probably is for it happening the other way round. in my experience I've had more issues with trying to get cuts in flower than in veg, so I certainly wouldn't recommend it for someone trying to take their first cuts..

• Like 1
On 14/02/2021 at 1:01 PM, fatboy77 said:

About to try some aeroponics, see if I can root some small trees. 

Seriously impressed.  Cloning is a ball ache, this removes the dull thud from the nether regions. They all wilted in the first few hours and I was ready to can it and go old school. 

No spraying, feeding, filling pots etc. 

Fatboy likey.

large.IMG_20210217_195412.jpg

• 5 months later...

4-6 inch.

The length if the branch is irrelevant. 3 leaves left on the cutting. A node below those that forms the roots. The rest of the branch is surplus to requirements unless your using it for a branch mid section clone. .......which work just as well as tips.

• Like 1