First cuttings advice

Hey folks was lookin for some advice ave took 12 cuts from plants a week into flower this is first time I have tried to take cuts from plants a tried a week before they flipped with no success all wilted and died by day 7, so tried again dipped them in rooting gel into pre soaked Rock wool cubes they have last longer than last ones now day 10 but now there starting to wilt is there anything I can do to save them

have them in propagator under cfl light will try upload a pic 

I've only ever taken 2 sets of clones but I have a 100% strike rate doing the following

When you take your cuts leave 3 nodes, cut the 3rd node at a 45 angle exactly on the node trim any fans or new growth that remains at the 3rd node.

Gently scrape the knife against the stem to remove the outer membrane for about the bottom 1cm. Dip the cut into clonex covering the 1cm you stripped completely then pop it straight into a prepped Jiffy pellet. Make sure you cut down any large fans to prevent excessive transpiration. Put everything in a sealed prop.

This last part is very very important do not open the prop. stick it under the shade of a larger plant or put some paper on the top of the prop and forget they exist for 10 days. 

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, NezA said:

I've only ever taken 2 sets of clones but I have a 100% strike rate doing the following

When you take your cuts leave 3 nodes, cut the 3rd node at a 45 angle exactly on the node trim any fans or new growth that remains at the 3rd node.

Gently scrape the knife against the stem to remove the outer membrane for about the bottom 1cm. Dip the cut into clonex covering the 1cm you stripped completely then pop it straight into a prepped Jiffy pellet. Make sure you cut down any large fans to prevent excessive transpiration. Put everything in a sealed prop.

This last part is very very important do not open the prop. stick it under the shade of a larger plant or put some paper on the top of the prop and forget they exist for 10 days. 

Close the holes up in the prop would you say?

if having problems rooting cuttings, do them the old stoner friendly way, and take your clones and put them into a pot of soil/ coco, or rockwool. a 3 inch pot works well. 

then water in the clones,just enough to wet the soil/medium.

then put them into a see through plastic bag, or a white/ blue bag works well too, just spray them inside the bag, soak the inside of the bag a little then just ty up the bag into a knot, and put under a low wat cfl light and forget about them for 10 to 12 days, open up the bag, and hey they will all have rooted a treat. :skin_up:

Edited by smokie1 b c f c
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, Xx-Danjaman-xX said:

Close the holes up in the prop would you say?

Yes mate if you're the sort that gets too tempted to peek you can go a step further and wrap the prop in cling film. It's the stable high humidity and low light intensity that are key.

• Like 6
12 hours ago, fatboy77 said:

Bigger cuttings root faster ime.  So do cuttings taken in early flower.  Still not sure why, anyone know? 

I'm not 100% certain but I vaguely recall it being something to do with higher levels of certain hormones around that time, auxins I think they're called :yinyang:

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, NezA said:

Yes mate if you're the sort that gets too tempted to peek you can go a step further and wrap the prop in cling film. It's the stable high humidity and low light intensity that are key.

I think I recall bruce bugbee sayin that even cuttings will take as much light as ye throw at em in the right enviroment o course 

I could be remembering wrong like but was gonna try a few under the light just to see anyways lol

• Like 3
12 hours ago, SkyRider said:

How's the humidity?

Has been up and down a bit firt cpl days had to put small heater in room with them due to cold weather the now house is freezing 

35 minutes ago, NezA said:

So they should not be under any light just now? 

@jokey86 they need light mate despite how we think nutes are food plants feed on light no light eventually = dead plants but more light demands more from the plant's metabolism. With no roots to support it you can put too much demand on a cutting. However with high enough humidity the pressure for the plant to transpire (which requires roots) will be non existent so @McHazy probably has a point regarding light intensity.

I'm only sharing the way I've done it and achieved a 100% success rate so far. As long as people follow a method they know works then what the method is doesn't really matter. You need to be careful when mixing and matching techniques if you haven't yet learned what the effect of each part of the method does to the plant. It's better to follow 1 persons entire technique if it gets results even if you don't understand why it gets results yet.

• Like 3

Look and see if the prop has holes in the base. My little one does, it makes it useless unless you put it in a large plastic sandwich bag or wrap it in clingfilm.

• Like 1