Thoughts on how to start

Max99

Just came across something called Grapefruit Kush online. Says medium THC and is good for relaxing/stress. Is this the sort of thing I should look to try first? To be honest I don't think it's easy in UK to get a great choice unless growing yourself. I'm keen to get started as I haven't touched alcohol in ages and Saturday nights aren't what they used to be. I'm thinking maybe tincture or vaping to start and therefore try small dose with quick results to get a feel for it. All opinions of my idiocy welcome.

it might be mate but it's an unknown as it's just random seeds online and medium could mean anything really

there are a million to choose from, i would go for a recommendation rather than a guess, the genetics might be shit and you end up with shit bud. there are some threads here for different strains to look at.

• Like 1

I feel for you dude, anything fucks with my food I get real upset.  I can't really help with choosing the right strain as my main requirement is potency, but I can sure as shit help out with setting up. 

What size space did you plan on using and what's yer budget?  

On another note - are you making your own probiotics?  The shop bought shit is just that, shit.  There's more beneficial bacteria in a teaspoon of home-made Kim chee or sauerkraut than a 4 pack of those bollocks yoghurts.

Edited by fatboy77

14 minutes ago, fatboy77 said:

I feel for you dude, anything fucks with my food I get real upset.  I can't really help with choosing the right strain as my main requirement is potency, but I can sure as shit help out with setting up. 

What size space did you plan on using and what's yer budget?  

On another note - are you making your own probiotics?  The shop bought shit is just that, shit.  There's more beneficial bacteria in a teaspoon of home-made Kim chee or sauerkraut than a 4 pack of those bollocks yoghurts.

Hey fatboy77, I was hoping to start out by trying a few different strains just in case I find this route of relaxation isn't going do it for me. The last time I had a smoke was 22 years ago! Want to make sure this stuff isn't going fuck with my heart. If all goes well and I can find a strain that relaxes/helps me sleep/gives me a nice little buzz, then I'll happily invest in the necessary equipment to keep me stocked. Don't mind spending a chunk up front if that makes things cheaper/easier later on.

As far as probiotics go, just started taking Yakult with my bowl of fruit for breakfast and lunch but it comes in tea-spoon-sized bottles and I've not noticed an improvement as yet. If they seem to make a difference I'll look into home-production. Thanks for your help. 

4 hours ago, Max99 said:

Wife says she'd prefer it if I used edibles so I don't stink the place out but I'm nervous about getting that dose right. Thanks for your help.

That's another point for vaping : it really doesn't smell like smoking. There's a little odor, but it goes very quickly. In fact, it probably smells less than keeping your weed box open. Since I'm vaping, I don't have to go outside or open the windows when consuming my weed. If you go for a vape, I really suggest you to go with one on demand, so you can just take one or two puffs and just wait for the high to come. If you haven't enough, take one puff more, etc.

For growing, you don't need a lot of space if you don't plan to smoke all day long. Something like 60x60cm would be enough for two plants. And it's easy : for my 1st grow, I had more than 50g per plant (+/- 2oz). Wife and me consume something like 200-250g per year (and maybe less now that I gave up smoking for vaping), so even with a small 2 plants cupboard, you should have plenty enough with 2 sessions. And I'm a beginner... An experimented grower should manage to harvest way more in the same space...

Edited by purepotstill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Max99 said:

just started taking Yakult

Hey Max. I would just like to add my tuppence worth on the probiotics thing here.

A few years ago I had a real problem with reflux and bloating type symptoms. For as long as I can remember I used to suffer mild symptoms that the odd Rennie tablet would take care of but this was nothing like as mild or occasional. Got checked out by the doctors. Had cameras inserted both ends and various stool samples etc. All to no avail. I was put on proton pump inhibitors (Omeprazol type drugs). They worked and held it under control. Kind of.

When I was coming to the end of a course of my prescription I started taking kefir (a probiotic drink) an ex had been using for years for a gall bladder thing.

I did some reading around this and the theory goes that your guts are supposed to be acid and inhabited by good acid loving microbes. The bloating and reflux are caused by gas produced by the wrong kind of microbes displacing your intestinal acid. What the drugs do is switch off the body's acid production and thereby relieve the symptoms.

What probiotics do is get your microbes back into a healthy balance.

It seems counterintuitive but you need to increase your acidity!

Kefir does this with a potent symbiotic colony of something like thirty different kinds of yeasts and bacteria that overpopulate the bad microbes. Yakult has one bacteria strain by comparison.

You can buy kefir in supermarkets these days but my advice is to buy a culture (kefir grains) on ebay and make your own. It's supposed to be much more potent with a wider array of microbes than the commercial stuff.

It's incredibly simple to make. I produce a nuttella jar's worth every day with no more than a glass of milk, a coffee jar and a sieve. Just ferment it on the worktop.

It's my top tip for the symptoms you describe. I no longer use any kind of antacid.

If you want any more info there's tons online or I'm happy to give tips.

ATB

• Like 4

I bought some CBD flower from a UK shop and didn't know what to expect from it, I read so much about the benefits it brings without the head fucks weed can give. I used the mighty vape and tried the vanilla kush, strawberry kush and AK47. Surprisingly it was quite relaxing and no a bad taste. It kinda put me in my own relaxed world which I found strange as I wasn't stoned, but my prefrence is a nice indica strain full of thc and I wouldnt personally grow CBD as its freely available and you can get it without breaking the law.

• Like 1

you would need just 1 plant in a small tent with a cheap led light a bathroom extractor fan would work fine and a small ocillating fan be as cheap as chips and wont take up much room

• Like 1

18 hours ago, purepotstill said:

That's another point for vaping : it really doesn't smell like smoking. There's a little odor, but it goes very quickly. In fact, it probably smells less than keeping your weed box open. Since I'm vaping, I don't have to go outside or open the windows when consuming my weed. If you go for a vape, I really suggest you to go with one on demand, so you can just take one or two puffs and just wait for the high to come. If you haven't enough, take one puff more, etc.

For growing, you don't need a lot of space if you don't plan to smoke all day long. Something like 60x60cm would be enough for two plants. And it's easy : for my 1st grow, I had more than 50g per plant (+/- 2oz). Wife and me consume something like 200-250g per year (and maybe less now that I gave up smoking for vaping), so even with a small 2 plants cupboard, you should have plenty enough with 2 sessions. And I'm a beginner... An experimented grower should manage to harvest way more in the same space...

Thanks purepotstill, you make a good case for vaping but I'm leaning toward Simple Jack's advice on tinctures (something I had never heard of in my sheltered 40s and 50s). I did a bit of surfing and the process sounds relatively simple. Do you - or anyone else - have a reason why I shouldn't try this route? It gives no smell when taking, you can adjust the dose with ease, the effect isn't as fast as vaping or smoking but way faster than edibles, and the dosage is so easy to manage. All I need is a few dropper bottle, a bottle of blow your brains out Polish booze/paint stripper at ABV 95%, a filter, and away we go! Well, still have to decide on the whole grow versus risk ordering something online with cryptovouchers. Feels like I'm a moonshiner from prohibition USA days. Thanks again for the advice.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wacky Wardrobe said:

Hey Max. I would just like to add my tuppence worth on the probiotics thing here.

A few years ago I had a real problem with reflux and bloating type symptoms. For as long as I can remember I used to suffer mild symptoms that the odd Rennie tablet would take care of but this was nothing like as mild or occasional. Got checked out by the doctors. Had cameras inserted both ends and various stool samples etc. All to no avail. I was put on proton pump inhibitors (Omeprazol type drugs). They worked and held it under control. Kind of.

When I was coming to the end of a course of my prescription I started taking kefir (a probiotic drink) an ex had been using for years for a gall bladder thing.

I did some reading around this and the theory goes that your guts are supposed to be acid and inhabited by good acid loving microbes. The bloating and reflux are caused by gas produced by the wrong kind of microbes displacing your intestinal acid. What the drugs do is switch off the body's acid production and thereby relieve the symptoms.

What probiotics do is get your microbes back into a healthy balance.

It seems counterintuitive but you need to increase your acidity!

Kefir does this with a potent symbiotic colony of something like thirty different kinds of yeasts and bacteria that overpopulate the bad microbes. Yakult has one bacteria strain by comparison.

You can buy kefir in supermarkets these days but my advice is to buy a culture (kefir grains) on ebay and make your own. It's supposed to be much more potent with a wider array of microbes than the commercial stuff.

It's incredibly simple to make. I produce a nuttella jar's worth every day with no more than a glass of milk, a coffee jar and a sieve. Just ferment it on the worktop.

It's my top tip for the symptoms you describe. I no longer use any kind of antacid.

If you want any more info there's tons online or I'm happy to give tips.

ATB

Hi Wacky Wardrobe, I have to say this forum has given me a giant mental boost. I ask about help getting started on the weed trail and I'm getting help with my hiatus hernia/reflux issues. Thanks man, it means a lot that you have taken the trouble to help. I've had this shitty condition for about 2 years now and in the last six months started to try alternative treatments. I have only been doing the Yakult thing this week, but I use an Iqoro (you'll need to look that up) take the PPIs (I come on and off these every so often and so far I have never noticed a difference) and currently also taking DGL licorice - and swigs of Gaviscon mainly before bed and when I wake in the night. The thing about trying new/different things is that you have to give them a while and also try different mixes of treatments so that you can work out which ones make the difference. After all you said about kefir I'm already getting an order sorted. I figure I'll try the supermarket stuff first and if there's any improvement at all then look to fly solo. As I'm sure you know all too well, it's a miserable condition to be afflicted with. Very glad you sorted yours out and even gladder for the suggestion. Thanks again.

15 hours ago, Firstimegrower_420 said:

I bought some CBD flower from a UK shop and didn't know what to expect from it, I read so much about the benefits it brings without the head fucks weed can give. I used the mighty vape and tried the vanilla kush, strawberry kush and AK47. Surprisingly it was quite relaxing and no a bad taste. It kinda put me in my own relaxed world which I found strange as I wasn't stoned, but my prefrence is a nice indica strain full of thc and I wouldnt personally grow CBD as its freely available and you can get it without breaking the law.

Hi Firstimegrower_420, I'm still wavering on trying some legal CBD oil - seems easier to take/manage dose than the flower. Did vaping the flower help you sleep? Being in my own relaxed world sounds fantastic to me, only I was hoping for a little extra, non-pulse-racing feeling of relaxation/all's well with the world thrown in. I guess that given alcohol really messes with my guts and has become too problematic to continue, I'd like a replacement guilty pleasure, if that makes any sense? It's good to hear that the legal stuff does actually make a difference and your response has me very close to giving one of those a try. Thanks for your help, I'm learning so much on this amazing forum.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hash72 said:

you would need just 1 plant in a small tent with a cheap led light a bathroom extractor fan would work fine and a small ocillating fan be as cheap as chips and wont take up much room

Thanks for this hash72, I may well get there. Just trying to thrash out all the options. Have you tried a tincture by the way?

30 minutes ago, purepotstill said:

No, got nothing against tinctures as I don't really know anything about them.

Would you give them a try or happy with vaping? I have to say that the tincture method does make it all seem a bit medicinal/lacking in excitement, but it does offer huge benefits for me. I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts?

• Like 1

To the OP, it would seem like a good idea to get outdoors and find a few spots to grow some plants. Plenty of strains available, we even have a part of this forum dedicated to geurrilla growing, and the extra outdoor activity is exactly what you need. Try to improve your diet (I know I'm guilty of eating rubbish), and come October, you should be coming home with bushels of fine outdoor organic flowers. 

As for the way to take it with existing health conditions, keep it simple as dry herb vape. Vapes like the CraftyPlus can heat the herb from all sides without burning, giving you instant relief whatever the strain. You can play with ethanol and turning your kitchen into a lab with decarbing and evapourating, but it's easier, cheaper, faster and safer to just vape flower. 

Good luck. :yep:

• Like 2