Long time storage

Revive

8 hours ago, mystic_roots said:

This might be a daft question but what's wrong with the air tight mason/Kilner jars? I've got some bud in one for 1.5 years so far and everytime i pop it open the smell hits me and still gives me a nice effect. I suppose you'd be restricted depending on how much you grow, i had 6 jars packed full, the only issue is i'm running out of space of where to hide them all lol

Hey dude.. I too have mine in kilner jars but they take up space. Also I prob spent £100/150 last season just on glass jars.. I just don't want boxes and boxes of these as time goes on.. this is why I was thinking of vac packing as an alternative :yinyang:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

You can get sachets that scavenge oxygen called 'oxygen absorbers'. They can apparently reduce the oxygen down to 0.1%. That should avoid having to press the air out of the (mylar) bags and crushing the bud.

They sound like they could be very useful bro. Have you ever tried these with vac packing your bud?:yinyang:

3 hours ago, Aphatspliff said:

Your best option is defo vac sealing mate. I just got a cheap one off eBay for now, does the job. Took a couple goes to get the hang of it mind. They use it for keeping meat and other foods fresher for longer, would imagine it does the same for weed so long as you get good quality bags and store them in a cool dark place

Yeah this is where I wanner go I think... going to look into some decent mylar bags, oxygen eaters, and a half decent vac machine.. I see this as an investment and will prob find some other uses for it food wise.. thanks bro :yinyang:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Herbsman said:

What a wonderful problem to have.

Myler bags keep the light out too and seal much better than the plastic ones.

I no bro right? don't normally have this problem as I smoke so fuking much. During this lockdown I'm bang on it from eyes open to eyes shut but still I won't consume that lot.. this is a decision I'm making for now and for future reference as I won't be giving up anytime soon and the outdoors sometimes brings those rewards. Thanks man appreciate the input :yep:

Appreciate everyone's input on this topic.. so I think I am now leaning towards going down the route of mylar double sided sealer bags.. sachets of oxygen scavengers/eaters.. and just a heat sealing machine. I figure i can get most of the air out by hand without crushing everything then rely on the oxygen eater to remove the rest after heat sealing.. will give this a go and see how it goes.. think will make a few small ones too so I can open them up after a year to see how how well it preserved. Saves me opening the bigger ones. I could even open a small 1 every 6 months after to see how long it lasts before degrading to the point of being unusable.. be nice to work this out first hand...thanks everyone for your help..  all the best Revive :yinyang:

Edited by Revive
  • Like 5

@Revive just for reference bud, i found some 3 year old shiva skunk a few months ago stored in a jar and even though the colour had changed slightly and it had lost a bit of its smell i was suprised at the potency, it seemed as strong as ever, i had a few vapes then put the rest in butter and it worked a treat !

• Like 2

Also forgot to say yesterday, what about dropping one of those bovida packs in before you seal it up? I’ve not got much experience with them but sure someone on here has

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

remember to come back and update this in 6 months, will be interesting to hear how the mylar compares. 

Will do buddy.. im sure its of interest to a few of us :yep:

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, LA LUNA said:

@Revive just for reference bud, i found some 3 year old shiva skunk a few months ago stored in a jar and even though the colour had changed slightly and it had lost a bit of its smell i was suprised at the potency, it seemed as strong as ever, i had a few vapes then put the rest in butter and it worked a treat !

Hey bro.. yeah it seems the visual look and smell degrade over time from what Kempley are saying but the strength seems to hold up.. what about taste? I expect it was maybe a lil more harsh? That is an issue for me as a smoker

Edited by Revive

25 minutes ago, Aphatspliff said:

Also forgot to say yesterday, what about dropping one of those bovida packs in before you seal it up? I’ve not got much experience with them but sure someone on here has

Got posted in the direction of oxygen eaters that I feel are more appropriate for it to last. But haven't used either to be honest so gonna give it a shot dude :yep:

• Like 1

I know all about not keeping my stash in the house after my door was kicked in many years ago :police: I tried several ways to store my buds outdoors jars in dry boxes stashed in the cedar thickets to keep them in the shade was the best but even then when the summer heat hit within a couple months the smell and flavor was dirty is the best way I can describe it keep us updated on how your buds hold up over the summer 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bfehillbilly said:

I know all about not keeping my stash in the house after my door was kicked in many years ago :police: I tried several ways to store my buds outdoors jars in dry boxes stashed in the cedar thickets to keep them in the shade was the best but even then when the summer heat hit within a couple months the smell and flavor was dirty is the best way I can describe it keep us updated on how your buds hold up over the summer 

They are not out exposed to the elements but in a lockup dark and cold now, dark and cool in the summer.. will pack them all in 1 box with some bubble wrap for a bit of insulation or something of sorts and just see how it goes.. :yep:

• Like 1