Long time storage

Revive

11 hours ago, badbillybob said:

this is what it was like, see previous post, basically, yes it degraded, but could have been user error in sealing , if it had a hole etc. 

Hey bud, sorry not sure what happened there the post that answered my questions never came through, made it seem like I was asking you to repeat yourself lol

Well appreciate the info dude, I shall certainly bear it in mind before I decide what to do.. thanks :yinyang:

• Like 1

@monkeypig thanks bro I will look into that.. dont normally have trouble with to much bud but you know sometimes things work out better than expected growing outdoors. Plus due to all the probs and issues its a hard 1 to fine tune.. normally there is more loss than gain so that needs to be acounted for. Thanks man :yep:

RE: vac packing. Normal poly food bags don't prevent diffusion of gases both ways in the long term. You need those metallised no-smell plastic ones I think or glass/metal containers. The other option is freezing dried, cured bud, but remember to let the contents thaw and equiliibiate the internal moisture properly before opening.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

You need those metallised no-smell plastic ones

Hey dude, thanks for your input.. never heard of this type.. where can I source these. Thanks man :yinyang:

• Like 1

Just now, catweazle1 said:

@Revive Never used them  but I'm sure someone here knows.

Do you mean the mylar ones.

I think these can be heat sealed

Edited by Revive
  • Like 3

Just now, Revive said:

Do you mean the mylar ones

Just  checked and they are more gas-tight but do some research when shopping to make sure the supplier states that they are actually gas-tight.... quality will no doubt vary between makes.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

Just  checked and they are more gas-tight but do some research when shopping to make sure the supplier states that they are actually gas-tight.... quality will no doubt vary between makes.

Sweet bro gonna get my nut on that..:yep:

• Like 1

I'm with catweazle1 freezing is the best method for long term storage I have a small chest freezer dedicated just for my buds dry cure put jars In freezer will stay fresh for years I have buds that are 7-8 years old just as good as the day I put them in the freezer just be sure to give the jar about 15 minutes to warm a little the buds are very brittle if you try to take them out of the jar immediately 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bfehillbilly said:

I'm with catweazle1 freezing is the best method for long term storage I have a small chest freezer dedicated just for my buds dry cure put jars In freezer will stay fresh for years I have buds that are 7-8 years old just as good as the day I put them in the freezer just be sure to give the jar about 15 minutes to warm a little the buds are very brittle if you try to take them out of the jar immediately 

Dude that is good to no but I don't ever keep stuff in my house, those days are long gone my friend.. they need to be stored in a lock up so a freezer is out of the question you see, no leccy! Fuk me 7/8 years wow that is amazing that they haven't degraded.. cool dude :yep:

I think they need a lil bit more than 15 to come to room temp.. as you say the trichs are very brittle.. when frozen I take out in the morn to be good for the eve. Just never stored that way over a period of time just back in the day when I used to keep things at home to keep the smell down.. :yinyang:

Edited by Revive
  • Like 1

I bought a vac packer for about 35 quid, it's amazing. You can keep bud good for months, I can't really say I've had bud for years though, never thought of freezing it. 

Making tincture with it would make it last for years

• Like 2

Just now, KC said:

I bought a vac packer for about 35 quid, it's amazing. You can keep bud good for months, I can't really say I've had bud for years though, never thought of freezing it. 

Making tincture with it would make it last for years

Hey bro, sure there are various ways of extraction to preserve, this suits some depending how you like to consume the product.. me personally I love a big old banger.. the whole ritual prepping it rolling it and smoking it is more my thing.. I can get stoned other ways for sure but it never really quite satisfys me.. old habits are hard to quite after 35+ years.. :yep: thanks for the input man

• Like 1

This might be a daft question but what's wrong with the air tight mason/Kilner jars? I've got some bud in one for 1.5 years so far and everytime i pop it open the smell hits me and still gives me a nice effect. I suppose you'd be restricted depending on how much you grow, i had 6 jars packed full, the only issue is i'm running out of space of where to hide them all lol

• Like 4

21 hours ago, badbillybob said:

i vac pack weed, but its not really ideal, about a year is as much as id like to store it (in a dark, cool place)

i did see some American yootoob vid where some massive USA canna crib warehouse outfit were vac sealing thier bags with added , i think it was nitrogen gas, to keep them fresh. 

ib be tempted to oil it myself, to be honest, you could probably fit 50 ounces worth of weed into oil  in a few jam jars, also better should you get a knock...they might even walk right by it...

You can get sachets that scavenge oxygen called 'oxygen absorbers'. They can apparently reduce the oxygen down to 0.1%. That should avoid having to press the air out of the (mylar) bags and crushing the bud.

• Like 2

Your best option is defo vac sealing mate. I just got a cheap one off eBay for now, does the job. Took a couple goes to get the hang of it mind. They use it for keeping meat and other foods fresher for longer, would imagine it does the same for weed so long as you get good quality bags and store them in a cool dark place

• Like 4