Tiny White crawlers in hydro reservoir water

photobat

On 27/11/2020 at 6:30 PM, photobat said:

Hi all, 

Searched pest but not found out what my problem is yet, so I'm looking for help plz. 

I've got tiny white bugs crawling and floating on the top of my hydro reservoir water, I thought these bugs were 1mm pieces of root but they move slowly. 

Water temp is 22c

Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance 

I've got the same . I was told springtails but I put a few sticky pads up and caught a few (loads ) of fly's suggesting it was fungus gnats but the 100s of little white floaters in my brain bucket suggested differnt . I'll watch this topic hoping for a answer . I just put a post down as fungus gnats . See if this sounds similar to yours 

• Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 10:16 AM, GSZZ said:

Leave springtails in a body of water long enough and they'll drown. They love moisture and high humidity but they're not fully aquatic they still need air.

The only other thing that is gonna be swimming about in your res (that I can think of) like that is Mosquito Larvae, but the water has to be quite old and stagnant before that starts happening, IE, mosquitos probably not the problem lol

Would they damage your plant ? I have the same issue and the fly's I caught do look like mosquitos and the larvey a lot like springtails . My leafs are getting damaged and stems have a sign of stress 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunter1 said:

I've got the same . I was told springtails but I put a few sticky pads up and caught a few (loads ) of fly's suggesting it was fungus gnats but the 100s of little white floaters in my brain bucket suggested differnt . I'll watch this topic hoping for a answer . I just put a post down as fungus gnats . See if this sounds similar to yours 

Have you looked into thrips? They have white larval stage and the adults fly and are of a similar size generally (generally around 1mm).

3 hours ago, Hunter1 said:

Would they damage your plant ? I have the same issue and the fly's I caught do look like mosquitos and the larvey a lot like springtails . My leafs are getting damaged and stems have a sign of stress 

Well I have the following damage, not sure if it's connected to the. Bugs or a nutrient issue. large.IMG_29112020_191001_(450_x_600_pixel).jpglarge.IMG_29112020_190908_(1200_x_900_pixel).jpglarge.IMG_29112020_190838_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpglarge.IMG_29112020_190558_(16_x_32_mm).jpglarge.IMG_28112020_170304_(1200_x_1200_pixel).jpg

Just now, photobat said:

Well I have the following damage, not sure if it's connected to the. Bugs or a nutrient issue. large.IMG_29112020_191001_(450_x_600_pixel).jpglarge.IMG_29112020_190908_(1200_x_900_pixel).jpglarge.IMG_29112020_190838_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpglarge.IMG_29112020_190558_(16_x_32_mm).jpglarge.IMG_28112020_170304_(1200_x_1200_pixel).jpg

What ever that is . Mine is the same . Almost a year Ive had these little bastard's

• Like 1

Let's hope it's springtails, I am pretty sure I do have them because I have poked a few that sprung off really fast, but the majority of them don't do much except move like around a bit. 

I'm wondering if springtails take a while before they develop the ability to spring/leap. 

I think my leaf damage is a nutrient issue I was feeding at 2.4ec at one stage, which is too high usually depending on strain etc. Hoping someone more knowledgeable will look at my bug and leaf damage photos and help us get to the bottom of things, I think my little bugd are probably springtails but trying to keep an open mind. 

Do yours spring off if poked? 

5 minutes ago, photobat said:

Let's hope it's springtails, I am pretty sure I do have them because I have poked a few that sprung off really fast, but the majority of them don't do much except move like around a bit. 

I'm wondering if springtails take a while before they develop the ability to spring/leap. 

I think my leaf damage is a nutrient issue I was feeding at 2.4ec at one stage, which is too high usually depending on strain etc. Hoping someone more knowledgeable will look at my bug and leaf damage photos and help us get to the bottom of things, I think my little bugd are probably springtails but trying to keep an open mind. 

Do yours spring off if poked? 

My leaf is similar to yours . When feeding at about 1.4 e.c in veg they looked pale and a bit yellow like they were having a calmag issue . When I added calmag and a higher e.c they looked like yours . What ever it is seems to be stripping the nutrient out . I've also got the same problem in the aqua farms 

Thousands of them moving about . Yes they jump a bit like a spring tail but I've caught a few adults in the sticky traps too . They look a bit like a small mosquito but I've never seen them till o put the stickys down . 

They totally stripped my plants in one room I wasn't keeping a close eye as they were on a system with 700ltr barrel . But 10 days later I went back and most of the fan leafs were dead (in Coco) 

• Like 1

There are more experienced people on here that will hopefully help out. 

Think you said you had the white things for a year so I would hazard a guess that they are springtales, if there wasn't any damage through this period? but now it sounds like now you have developed another more threatening issue like thrips if they have wings, can you get photos on here? 

12 minutes ago, photobat said:

There are more experienced people on here that will hopefully help out. 

Think you said you had the white things for a year so I would hazard a guess that they are springtales, if there wasn't any damage through this period? but now it sounds like now you have developed another more threatening issue like thrips if they have wings, can you get photos on here? 

I've tried to attach a picture but I'm not sure how . 

@photobat  thats 100% a springtail mate,google is your friend and says they are harmless.

I assume they are in your meduim and getting washed into the nutrients?

• Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 4:10 PM, stu sleeper 20vt said:

Hi mate.

You have to make a gallery.

Your photos need to be resized below 1mb to upload.

On your laptop is easier.

The +16 is rep...how many people have clicked like on your posts.

It doesnt really affect anything but is an easy way of recognising if someone is experienced or not on the forum.

Good luck

On 28/11/2020 at 4:12 PM, btk1977 said:

If/when trying to upload photos from your phone, you'll need to tick the 'desktop view' box in your browser's options as the drop down menu isn't available in the mobile version of the website.

I had the photo trouble myself but worked it out following the help these guys gave, try and if you get any problems i will try and help even though i'm no wizz kid on computers

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

@photobat  thats 100% a springtail mate,google is your friend and says they are harmless.

I assume they are in your meduim and getting washed into the nutrients?

Thanks Stu sleeper,

I have defo seen them springing off on occasions when poked, yeah i've been bashing the shit out of google for the last 2 days and realise they are harmless but didn't want to assume that they were springtails and get caught out later, i've had much help from several people on here and they are all trying there best to diagnose the little bugger but i've had a few suggestions in this process so i need to take care not to assume anything. >

Do you recognise them from my photos?

why do you think they are springtales? i think you are right btw but wondering how you came to that conclusion?

Many thanks everyone !! :bong: