Tiny White crawlers in hydro reservoir water

photobat

5 minutes ago, btk1977 said:

All you need is a couple of females to get in and they will lay enough eggs by the roots/in that layer of compost for an infestation of larvae, the larvae are then gettiing washed into your resevoir where they are getting trapped. 

I have just been trying to photo and magnify them with my phone, very difficult because they are so small but I found that they do, or at least some have the ability to hop/spring off, not sure if thrips hop/spring. 

Think I need to order a powerful magnifyer or microscope. 

• Like 2

Just now, photobat said:

I have just been trying to photo and magnify them with my phone, very difficult because they are so small but I found that they do, or at least some have the ability to hop/spring off, not sure if thrips hop/spring. 

You can get  a digital hand held microscope that will do x40, to x120 (or 160) for around 50quid which should be perfect for this and then for trichome checking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, photobat said:

Another option are clip on lenses that go on your phone camera aperture.  I've got a hama kit with a macro, a fish eye and wide angle lenses.  Was only a tenner I think.  Well worth it.

• Like 2

With the hama kit can you see trichomes to help choose when to crop? 

I'm now considering what's best to plump for loupes, USB digital microscopes and microscopes, digital slr, what a midfield :wallbash:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, photobat said:

With the hama kit can you see trichomes to help choose when to crop? 

I'm now considering what's best to plump for loupes, USB digital microscopes and microscopes, digital slr, what a midfield :wallbash:

Absolutely.  No problem at all.

Get a macro lens for your phone then you got a loupe, macro camera that can all fit in your pocket.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Absolutely.  No problem at all.

Get a macro lens for your phone then you got a loupe, macro camera that can all fit in your pocket.

What something like this for my Huawei P30 Pro  

Edited by Smokebelch
No external links allowed
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, photobat said:

What something like this for my Huawei P30 Pro 

Same as mine only a bit fancier!  I really couldn't recomend them more.  I got a cream of the crop nomination using a samsung mini and a clip on lens!  It works!

Edited by Smokebelch
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

How often do you change the nutrient tank? 

I thought hydroponic pretty much eliminated these issues? lol 

Every 7 to 12 days max, aim for 10 days and do it within a couple days either side when convenient. 

I did use compost to veg in after cuttings rooted into the riot cubes, maybe this is the source of these bugs idk, tbh I'm not even sure what they are yet

Edited by photobat
Fat fingers

Make sure your res has a decent lid, unless they’ve crawled up the feeder pipes, it should be a one way street. The only explanation I can think is that these bugs were on your hands when setting/potting up.. 

9 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Same as mine only a bit fancier!  I really couldn't recomend them more.  I got a cream of the crop nomination using a samsung mini and a clip on lens!  It works!

Did you go for the cheap ones on ebay? Just been having a look and they similar looking ones for about £4 with free postage, very tempted at that price if they work on trichs.

1 hour ago, btk1977 said:

Did you go for the cheap ones on ebay? Just been having a look and they similar looking ones for about £4 with free postage, very tempted at that price if they work on trichs.

No I bought the three piece hama kit on the high street.  They are great quality.  Actually a lot of fun those lenses, I've got lots of paris pics done with the fish eye lens.  Good times.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

No I bought the three piece hama kit on the high street.  They are great quality.  Actually a lot of fun those lenses, I've got lots of paris pics done with the fish eye lens.  Good times.

Thanks, that looks perfect.

11 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Make sure your res has a decent lid, unless they’ve crawled up the feeder pipes, it should be a one way street. The only explanation I can think is that these bugs were on your hands when setting/potting up.. 

Yeah got a decent lid on my res. I'm pretty confident they are in my res from the draining back to the res from the pots when flooding and draining, there are more bugs under 1 plant pot on top of the residual water than in my res. 

On my hands noooooooo don't say that you are making me all Itchy now..lol

• Like 1

I have netting up for support so I have just had to do my best worm impression on my belly underneath the canopy in order to get to the back ones, I bet a few of us have done that before, what is it they say about suffering for your art huhu. 

No signs of any other pests, roots look pretty good and not slimey so still unsure, hoping they are springtails