Tiny White crawlers in hydro reservoir water

photobat

10 hours ago, photobat said:

if I remember they were like you said, sort of springing off and popping about with ease if disturbed but these don't do that that's why I'm concerned. Tbh. 

Leave springtails in a body of water long enough and they'll drown. They love moisture and high humidity but they're not fully aquatic they still need air.

The only other thing that is gonna be swimming about in your res (that I can think of) like that is Mosquito Larvae, but the water has to be quite old and stagnant before that starts happening, IE, mosquitos probably not the problem lol

• Like 4

I've got hundreds of these little dudes on the surface of my res water and on top of the residual water left in my pots after draining. 

They don't have wings, and they are walking on what looks like 6 legs so probably not larvae. 

But aren't springing so what the fook they are idk :wallbash:

Do springtails need to develop into adults before they start body poppin? 

• Like 1

Well I have a photo but isn't there a need to have a certain score or number of posts or such like before you can post a photo? 

I don't understand what is the +15 I have all about and what differences does that score make idk and how do I increase that number... 

ok i am now on laptop so maybe more features will be available now.

Edited by photobat
  • Like 1

Hi mate.

You have to make a gallery.

Your photos need to be resized below 1mb to upload.

On your laptop is easier.

The +16 is rep...how many people have clicked like on your posts.

It doesnt really affect anything but is an easy way of recognising if someone is experienced or not on the forum.

Good luck

• Like 2

If/when trying to upload photos from your phone, you'll need to tick the 'desktop view' box in your browser's options as the drop down menu isn't available in the mobile version of the website.

• Like 2

Ok thanks guys I am in the right area now, but how on earth do I resize a photo taken on my phone, it says file to large over 1000kb or something similar

I've got hundreds of these little dudes on the surface of my res water and on top of the residual water left in my pots after draining. 

They don't have wings, and they are walking on what looks like 6 legs so probably not larvae. 

But aren't springing so what the fook they are idk :wallbash:

Do springtails need to develop into adults before they start body poppin? 

So here the lil fookers are in the photos 

33 minutes ago, btk1977 said:

They look like thrips larvae to me.

I know the photos aren't the best as these things are so small but would thrip larve have legs and antenna? 

6 minutes ago, photobat said:

I know the photos aren't the best as these things are so small but would thrip larve have legs and antenna? 

Yep, their larvae have legs and antenna, they look very similar to the adults just small and kindof translucent/white and they can't fly unlike the adults. 

e2a: seems fairly rare but with a bit of searching there are a couple of people on various forums that have had them in their reservoirs.

Edited by btk1977
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, btk1977 said:

Yep, their larvae have legs and antenna, they look very similar to the adults just small and kindof translucent/white and they can't fly unlike the adults. 

e2a: seems fairly rare but with a bit of searching there are a couple of people on various forums that have had them in their reservoirs.

Thanks btk1977

You could well be right, I must keep an open mind for now but like you say, translucent/white, legs and antenna and I think the red eyes were seen also. 

They are mainly on top of the water inside the flood n drain pot with some in the reservoir. 

I guess there should be signs of adults on the foliage. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, photobat said:

Thanks btk1977

You could well be right, I must keep an open mind for now but like you say, translucent/white, legs and antenna and I think the red eyes were seen also. 

They are mainly on top of the water inside the flood n drain pot with some in the reservoir. 

I guess there should be signs of adults on the foliage. 

All you need is a couple of females to get in and they will lay enough eggs by the roots/in that layer of compost for an infestation of larvae, the larvae are then gettiing washed into your resevoir where they are getting trapped. 

• Like 1