Alien RDWC

Hogro

Can I ask something else,

I start my seeds/cuttings in root riot cubes then on to 6" grodan, in a small cuttings station tent and don't put them into system until plenty roots showing from cube, is it ok to use a root stim alongside plant start at this rooting stage, seeing I'm running a sterile system.

I've been growing successfully for years, just this new system is a learning curve for me and I need to get it dialled in as it's expensive kit.

Thanks again for all your help guys and hopefully my knowledge can be passed on to future growers:chains:

Edited by beebs
  • Like 2

i wouldnt use the grodan blocks. root riots are enough, the grodans hold too much water.

what ive done in the past is to put them in root it cubes, then put the root it cube in a party cup, which is filled with perlite.

put a hole in bottom of party cup and just hand water them. (daily).

the roots will grow out the cube and into the perlite. give it a week and you can gently pull out the root it cube, the roots will be a few inches long, shake off as much perlite as possible, and transplant them to the system.

the roots will be out and ready for transplant, and the perlite wont affect ph or that. 

thats the best way imho, or use a cloner and take cuts from a mother plant.

• Like 2

Thanks again mate, all taken onboard.;)

I've got an x-stream cloner bbb so will give it a go next run and bin blocks.

Just need these three ladies to stay alive for cuttings.

Edited by beebs
  • Like 1

My last 3 surviving ladies have now stopped growing.

Roots are a tan colour no bad smells but all tangled together, this is the way the last lot went:(

I noticed some leaves are spotting and turning yellow, not all but a few, most are green but I've noticed lately that the fan leaves aren't getting bigger like I would expect at this time into grow.

That's me tried a sterile grow with just GHE 3 part nuits and silver bullets and chiller set at 18-19°. PH is around 6 and EC 0.6-0.8.

Edited by beebs

lets see a pic of them.

whats the temps and relative humidity like?

do the roots feel slimey? are they easily detached? if so youve got rot. 

sounds strange, with chiller and ec settting you have though

Edited by badbillybob

Well that's another grow in the bin, dying up top, no growth and roots were getting darker all the time.

Thinking this system is a step to far for me so will have to have a think going forward, maybe back to Wilma as it's more forgiving, plus stress of this system was getting to me :wallbash:.:skin_up:

Edited by beebs

are you using a chiller?

you really need one  for these systems or the nutes overheat, causing root issues.

dont give up on it, they are great when you get them dialled in. just keep the nutes simple, grow, bloom, silicone, cal mag, and pk, if you must, its all you need.

seems a shame to pack it when youve only done one run.

looking back over your post i see your using 20 litre pots. the bigger ones would make the solution more stable, and cooler. not sure if its a straight swap for the bigger pots

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

On my third try on this alien system, looking ok so far  fingers crossed, going to switch today and all 6 girls looking lush.

Only using GHE tri-part, liquid silicone and silver bullets.

Emptying tank every 7days and topping up as needed during the week.

Quick silly question for anyone with this system.

What way is the filter seated in the ball valve?

Small side up or down:george:

As i keep getting small leak at ball valve.

Edited by beebs
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

i had one, but cant remember which way it went. 

check the rubber sealing ring for nicks

Seals are fine mate, it's just once I remove filter for cleaning it just seems to float in the ball valve when I put it back together, you would have thought it would be secured somehow.

I'll contact alien themselves as they seem good on communication so far.

Edited by beebs

im pretty sure mine kinda stuck in position. it didnt float about in there, is there not a locating ring on one end?

there is only 2 ways it can go.....

All I need to know is if the net filter is supposed to float in the ball valve and is it ok if it does and could this be the cause of the leak at the ball valve?

Edited by beebs