Alien RDWC

Hogro

Evening all...!

Soooo with that looming “lock down” in the next 15 minutes I’ve finally made the decision to go RDWC. This means I don’t have any risks from dumping COCO in hedge rows or any other areas I  can find. I’ve been looking at replacing my system anyway but this has forced my hand.!

what’s everyone’s views on the Alien RDWC systems (apart from being expensive)? Ive mainly looked at the Silver RDWC 36L system over the Pro for logistics on head height having moved to a 2.2m tall tent.

if not Alien can anyone recommend another system? I have looked at making my own but I really don’t want that risk of a failure and flooding.

• Like 2

i used an alien system for years, it was a 55 litre pro one tho, with the big return pipes. it worked well enough to be honest.

i realise DIY isnt for everyone, but it does work out miles cheaper than buying alien systems

• Like 6

I've got an IWS R-DWC with a 200l flexi tank. Works well enough although only been using for a couple of months and has only flooded a couple of times :wallbash: (not a huge amount though to be fair and I think due to uneven floor) The brain pot controls the feeding/drain times. Also has 25mm flow pipes and a filter for roots and debris that's easy to remove and clean. Uses about 1l of clay pebbles per pot. Depending on your set up you may also need a chiller which adds to the cost. Another 300/400 quid mind. Once the canopy develops it hardly ever comes on now and is set to 19oC. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve been using the new alien Rdwc 4 pot 36litre pots system and it’s great I started with an cheapo system from the bay of e which worked but fitting and fixtures weren’t great. Then moved to oxy pots which were good but found the roots growing into the pump constantly. You get none of them issue with this system goes together very easy Everything is really good quality and for the money you would expect it to be. I’ve found no issues with the system so far and I’m on my third run. If money is not a issue I would recommend it. 

• Like 1

Great system I've also got the 36l pro silver with 8 pots.

I have had a couple things that I've adapted.

1 of the chiller connections on the brain pot leaks a fair amount but just removed it and ran the pipe directly to the pump

Keep an eye on the filter in the return line. It seems to get blocked easily so give it a good spray off every now and again. I clean mine every res change to keep ontop of it.

Also depending how big a system you go with I can only just fit my water heater in the pot.

Oh and the clips from hold the air hose to the side of the pots are crap they fall off with the slightest knock. 

Overall I'm really happy with mine its a great bit of kit with just a couple of small issues but easly worked around large.20201011_184612_compress65.jpglarge.20200827_192940_compress7.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My first grow with the alien silver pro 6pot 20 ltr system was a disaster.

I used 3part GHE nutrients and silver bullets nothing else and it went pair shaped, I've got a chiller set at 18° so I'm at a loss to what caused this.

Scrubbed whole system then flushed everything for 48 hours with silver bullets solution and started again.

Now I'm down to 3 out 6 left and beginning to think this system is not for me.:wallbash:ph does fluctuate quite a but, have kept on top of it using pH easy up, my ec is at 0.5-0.6 as they're still very young.

My last try was Grape Candy Breath I'm now trying Northern Lights as they done well previously in my Wilma and are from seed.

Just to add these 3 survivors look fine, so hoping other 3 just didn't get going and were left behind.

I'm using mammoth large tent with 6"input and 8" output and large rotating monkey fan for movement. I'm vegging with 2x 315w CDM lights and will be flowering with 1x 1000w Gavita with 1x maxibright daylight Phillips agro 315w bulb as a supplement.

Tried to find out how to post images but to no avail:unsure:

I'm retired now so this is my full-time hobby, in winter time that is, gotta keep the golf going for health in summer months.

Edited by beebs
  • Like 3

My 1st isn't great. Didnt loose any but some of the plant won't yield much.

I have 8 plants in 4 cali Bay dream and 4 wedding cake. 

1 of the cali Bay looks really nice but the others were a bit fucked from the light to close.

Hopefully get a nice bit of smoke still. 

Chop day today 

Update, I've drained my system today and just put in ph'd water and silver bullets to give the girls a bath. 

Question, is this ok to do and when should I add nutrients?

I seem to go round in circles when trying to find answers through Google alone.

Edited by beebs

8 minutes ago, beebs said:

Update, I've drained my system today and just put in ph'd water and silver bullets to give the girls a bath. 

Question, is this ok to do and when should I add nutrients?

I seem to go round in circles when trying to find answers through Google alone.

Don't leave it to long. Silver bullets is just to clean the tank and res. Get your nutes in later today otherwise there not eating anything. 

Think of water as there drink and nutes as food. They need both to be healthy. 

Can I ask those who run this system, is it better to have the air pump outside of the tent or would it be ok to run it inside with input blowing over pump.

1 minute ago, beebs said:

Can I ask those who run this system, is it better to have the air pump outside of the tent or would it be ok to run it inside with input blowing over pump.

That may depend on whether you need to reduce water temps or raise them - if your water is getting too cold put the air pump somewhere warm to add warm air to the cold res or vise versa.

I had a cold res issue recently so put moved the pump to a warmer spot - I also added a water heater but moving the air pump helped a lot.

1 hour ago, beebs said:

i would run the pump outside the tent if at all possible, the cooler air is denser and will make sure your water is getting aeriated with O2 rich air.

Ok, thanks bbb, I'm never bothered by cold Res quite the opposite, my chiller seems to be running a lot to keep Res in 18°-19° region even in this cold snap.

Edited by beebs
  • Like 1